Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,877 total conversations in 4,540 threads

+ New Thread

Starbucks

Last posted Jun 16, 2013 at 01:17PM EDT. Added Jun 15, 2013 at 05:49PM EDT
9 posts from 5 users

I'm just about 100% certain that Starbucks is a meme, but since we're all about Internet memes, do people think it deserves an entry? I figured I'd ask what people think first rather than make one and get it deadpooled.

chowzburgerz wrote:

Subculture/Person/Site not Meme

Starbucks confirmed a person.

I'm pretty certain that out of those categories, "meme" would fit best.

Last edited Jun 15, 2013 at 09:23PM EDT

Well, that was helpful--not. If you're all serious, I should make the entry with Starbucks as a "Person", but I'm assuming you're being sarcastic which means…what?

I should just stick to prettying up existing articles; I put in a lot of work on the Evony ad parodies article today; that was nice. Just point me to articles that need grammar and formatting clean-up, and I'll get to them when I have my next coffee.

I’ll get to them when I have my next coffee.

…Will it be Starbucks coffee?

I'd say it's probably a little too real world based for an article, but with how businesses must integrated themselves with the internet now, it's probable you'd find something out there. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a small culture surrounding it, but I don't know if it'd be quite big enough for KYM documentation.

What I was thinking of is the way it tends to be the subject of jokes in the media of one sort or another. It seems like I've seen a lot of that on TV in the past, and here and there on the Internet, like in this webcomic I posted in another thread right before I started this one:

I've seen a fair amount of this, but since I used to work for Starbucks, I'm more sensitive to it.

Oh, and in answer to your question, the place I currently live does not have a Starbucks within a mile's drive, believe it or not, so it's not likely…aw, who am I kidding? I have Starbucks coffee and chai at home anyway. Freakin' junkie…

chowzburgerz wrote:

I would label Starbucks as a Subculture just like EA and Valve.

Difference is that Valve has a fandom and EA a hatedom, which we define through the "subculture" tag.

Does Starbucks have this fandom status? What presence does it have on the web? Is it best compared to Valve as its own fandom or more like Shrek through just a lot of content based around it but not having a fandom?

It currently has the Arriving 15 Minutes Late With Starbucks submeme, which is its only notable one. Starbucks is also commonly associated with white girls and hipster culture. But has it reached a state where we can call it a "fandom"?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!