Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

Duplicate Photo Uploads

Last posted Jul 26, 2011 at 09:37PM EDT. Added Jul 25, 2011 at 03:07PM EDT
12 posts from 8 users

Since all photos now have SHA-2 hashes stored with them, you should no longer be able to upload a photo to an entry if it's already there. This is only within the scope of entries; you can upload a photo twice if you don't specify an entry, but I'm not sure why you would do that anyway.

Right now I'm working on making a page that lists all the duplicate photos for the admins so we can start getting rid of them.

The MLP entry has 424 duplicates, with 22 of them being posted 3 times each.

Last edited Jul 25, 2011 at 03:10PM EDT

Hot Damn.

You know what would also clean up the databases quite a bit? Allowing photos to be listed under several memes. There are several images on here which apply to more than one meme and oftentimes you can find the same image on both pages.

Another thing that would help clear it up (which doesn't pertain to just images) is the ability to delete locked threads. I would suggest this for deadpool, but it's better for that to not be deleted so that the same mistake isn't made again unless there are multiple deadpooled entries of the same topic.

I don't like associating photos with multiple entries because it would make spamming entries a lot easier. It would also be a big structural change to the current system and would require some downtime on photo uploads for all the old photos to be updated.

Kalmo wrote:

Another thing that would help clear it up (which doesn't pertain to just images) is the ability to delete locked threads. I would suggest this for deadpool, but it's better for that to not be deleted so that the same mistake isn't made again unless there are multiple deadpooled entries of the same topic.

I think thread preservation can be a good thing, personally.

Also, there is a 4th classification on entries called Hidden, where the entry can only be viewed by moderators and admins.

The problem there is what constitutes a "good" thread. It's subjective, after all. Some threads may be helpful or interesting to some people while other are not.

Nintendork64 wrote:

The problem there is what constitutes a "good" thread. It's subjective, after all. Some threads may be helpful or interesting to some people while other are not.

Exactly this. I know there are some threads I wouldn't really care about archiving because I find them stupid and/or irrelevant but which a few other users really liked.

Although it would be nice to have an archive where really good stuff would be saved, even if the rest of the stuff isn't deleted.

Sorry to be a noob, but can somepony explain exactly how SHA-2 hashes work? Like, say I post an image from Wikipedia and then another user accidentally uses the same image from the same source. As I understand it, would that repost be blocked, then?

Captain Equestria wrote:

Sorry to be a noob, but can somepony explain exactly how SHA-2 hashes work? Like, say I post an image from Wikipedia and then another user accidentally uses the same image from the same source. As I understand it, would that repost be blocked, then?

It's basically a way to generate a unique identifier for data. If two images share the same hash then they are practically guaranteed to contain the same data.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!