Forums / Media / Video Games

38,674 total conversations in 2,706 threads

+ New Thread

Nintendo wants you to play with cardboard

Last posted Jan 18, 2018 at 09:16AM EST. Added Jan 17, 2018 at 06:01PM EST
14 posts from 14 users

You can build a peripheral for your Switch using a cheap and cleaner alternative to plastic.
I can see the arts and crafts appeal. This will probably be big with children.

However, cardboard is rather weak. If you get your Labo wet, it's history. Children also aren't that careful. Keep out of reach of pets.

I don't like this. It feels like one of their "gimmicks" like the Wii controller's plastic peripherals. What are your thoughts?

Last edited Jan 17, 2018 at 06:12PM EST

I like that it is made of cardboard for the environmental aspect and i really think is a great thing for kids with the "see how it works" mode, my only questions are how durable is going to be the cardboard (if is a good quality one it may be ok) and if they're going to sell full replacements in case an accident happens or you want to build a second one (decorative reasons, etc).

Last edited Jan 17, 2018 at 09:52PM EST

Breaking news: Nintendo buys rights to Metal Gear, screenshot of Metal Gear Labo leaked.

[oh how I wish my joke was the truth, Konami's IPs would be better off with a bunch of other companies]

The whole cardboard thing seems gimmicky however I am actually kind of impressed by what they have shown. From little walking robots, to pianos to levers and all types of mechanical machines, it looks like it may include far more than just cardboard shapes. It looks interesting if only to teach children a thing or two about engineering and to see the different things they manage to create with just the switch, cardboard and moving parts. Of course it also looks like it wouldn't have much replay value right now, as each peripheral is only for a rather simple minigame and it looks like the packages will be expensive, they really need to fix that somehow either make it cheap or find a way to expand on it.

The thing that entertains me the most about this is the way /v/ reacted to it.

/v/ had a total field day with this. I've never seen the board devolve into chaos as quickly as it did when they announced this. It was honestly the most GLORIOUS thing I've seen in a long while.

I expected people to shitpost about the announcement no matter what it was about, but this is beyond something I could've ever expected.

Last edited Jan 18, 2018 at 09:25AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!