Forums / Discussion / General

233,235 total conversations in 7,799 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
I desperately need some good news.

Last posted Jun 12, 2015 at 07:55PM EDT. Added Jun 12, 2015 at 04:51PM EDT
29 posts from 17 users

All year thus far has been basically a nonstop flood of depressing, shitty news. Denied again for public assistance, my mother gets diagnosed with cancer, my father might have some sort of spinal fluid leak, we're barely making end's meet, the climate's fucked, people going fucking crazy, corruption, murder, terrorism, and the deaths of awesome celebrities. It's beat the fuck out of me. The best I've gotten is momentary joy from pictures of cute animals or something.

I'm straight begging here, folks. Can you please give me something to smile about?

Well, thanks to your pep talks, I'm trying to help patch my family back together. And thanks to my efforts, you managed to help me prevent my little sister from going suicidal.
You helped essentially save a life.
As for other news, E3 is coming up, Gaming is entering a new golden age, and finally it is becoming more apparent that VR Gaming is going to be a big thing soon. I remember Particle Mare talking about Virtual Consciousness stuff recently in the IRC, so that's a thing too.
And finally it seems people in general are starting to wise up. Not only that, but DLC's are worth their money again and overall there's a lot more genuine friendships appearing on the site from what I've seen.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Welcome to real fuckin life, this year my mom was also diagnosed with cancer and had a major surgery and round of chemo, my sister got married to her abusive baby daddy, I'm barely keeping my life together and electricity running on my salary, and my nearest family member is 2000 miles to the east. Yeah, shit is shitty, we can all throw ourselves a pity party, but that's not gonna feel any better than looking at baby animals. You have to stand up and struggle every day with the rest of the animal kingdom, that's what it means to be alive.

Last edited Aug 27, 2015 at 10:08PM EDT

Yeah, what Lisa said. There's no point in trying to make yourself feel good by appreciating the small heartwarming things that make life worth living. The only reason we're alive is for that final moment of our lives when death finally takes us into its cold embrace and we can allow ourselves to feel happy, just this once, because our agony is finally over.

Lisa, I'd tell you to go fuck yourself if you hadn't just made so abundantly clear the reasons that you act like you do.

Anyway, things that currently make me happy:
• Gay marriage will soon be legal throughout the country.
• New episode of ponies tomorrow.
• Fallout 4 and Doom will be coming out soon.
• SteamVR/Oculus is going to be so fucking awesome.
• It's summer.
• I've finally got the motivation to write creatively back.

lisalombs wrote:

Welcome to real fuckin life, this year my mom was also diagnosed with cancer and had a major surgery and round of chemo, my sister got married to her abusive baby daddy, I'm barely keeping my life together and electricity running on my salary, and my nearest family member is 2000 miles to the east. Yeah, shit is shitty, we can all throw ourselves a pity party, but that's not gonna feel any better than looking at baby animals. You have to stand up and struggle every day with the rest of the animal kingdom, that's what it means to be alive.

Jesus christ god forbid someone asks for something uplifting.

E3 is coming up
Steam summer sale is here
Virtual reality is going to be easier to get later this year thanks for Valve, and next year thanks to Oculus Rift.
Same-sex marriage might soon be legal in all of the US due to a US Supreme court ruling later this month.

so.. yea, there's that.

Berry Punch wrote:

Yeah, what Lisa said. There's no point in trying to make yourself feel good by appreciating the small heartwarming things that make life worth living. The only reason we're alive is for that final moment of our lives when death finally takes us into its cold embrace and we can allow ourselves to feel happy, just this once, because our agony is finally over.

Lisa, I'd tell you to go fuck yourself if you hadn't just made so abundantly clear the reasons that you act like you do.

Anyway, things that currently make me happy:
• Gay marriage will soon be legal throughout the country.
• New episode of ponies tomorrow.
• Fallout 4 and Doom will be coming out soon.
• SteamVR/Oculus is going to be so fucking awesome.
• It's summer.
• I've finally got the motivation to write creatively back.

I agree with you on gay marriage, but I really don't understand how steam or ponies will restore one's faith in humanity.

Karoler wrote:

I agree with you on gay marriage, but I really don't understand how steam or ponies will restore one's faith in humanity.

neckbeards

Seriously though, MLP returned after a long hiatus (IIRC)

Virtual friggin Reality marks a milestone in man kind's technology

Last edited Jun 12, 2015 at 06:45PM EDT

lisalombs wrote:

lisalombs wrote:

Sweet buttery Jesus, it's like the bastard child of Eeyore and the goth kids from South Park.

lisalombs wrote:

Well for one MIMU you can get a good laugh from this.

Secondly:

lisalombs wrote:

Look. I feel genuinely sorry for you, that stuff aint good and I wish you could be fortunate to not have to go through that. If your really feeling bad about that stuff, you just talk to someone about it, in a personal conversation.

That being said, I don't appreciate what your doing here. Your projecting your problems (quite literally) and trying to bring others down, not just that, but people who are already down and just want a bit of cheer and something uplifting. If anyone is naive it is you for not realizing that we are aware life can be shit and we have to deal with it, its something a lot of us learn at pretty young ages. That doesn't mean we should be so darn pessimistic about things and stop ourselves from being a bit happier.

Like I said, sorry for whatever bad things have came your way, but just do us a favour and just don't post if your gonna be like that.

lmao my post was the most uplifting this in this thread thus far!

What the hell is looking at your links going to do for OP? Gonna click on them and most likely not even crack a smile, no matter what it is, because the reason OP is not happy is not a lack of good news. He's not happy because some shitty things are really happening right now in his real life. Instead of mere momentary distractions, he needs to get the fuck up and do something about it now. Go help your mom and dad with whatever they're doing right now to take a little weight off their shoulders, go send out another handful of resumes and cover letters to try and contribute some money, go apply again to the hundreds of other assistance programs until you find one that you qualify for. You're not going to be happy until things change, change is a struggle in itself, changing your struggle is an even bigger struggle, but what else are you going to do?

Hopefully you don't waste away searching for news of the happiness someone else's struggle was able to bring them.

You guys have horribly missed the point of my post if you think it was dark and edgy

Last edited Jun 12, 2015 at 07:14PM EDT

lisalombs wrote:

What the hell is looking at your links going to do for OP? Gonna click on them and most likely not even crack a smile, no matter what it is, because the reason OP is not happy is not a lack of good news. He's not happy because some shitty things are really happening right now in his real life. Instead of mere momentary distractions, he needs to get the fuck up and do something about it now. Go help your mom and dad with whatever they're doing right now to take a little weight off their shoulders, go send out another handful of resumes and cover letters to try and contribute some money, go apply again to the hundreds of other assistance programs until you find one that you qualify for. You're not going to be happy until things change, change is a struggle in itself, changing your struggle is an even bigger struggle, but what else are you going to do?

Hopefully you don't waste away searching for news of the happiness someone else's struggle was able to bring them.

You guys have horribly missed the point of my post if you think it was dark and edgy

Well, OP asked for a nice post to make him happy and smile. Encouraging posts can come later after MIMU feels more confident.

If you're a teacher, and one of your students is crying hardly because he/she failed a test, what would you do?

• A – Smack that motherfucker in the face and tell him that "Life is like this, get used to it!"
  • B – Cheer him up, and gently tell him studying tips and to keep on trying after he is in a more better state to be told what to do.
Last edited Jun 12, 2015 at 07:20PM EDT

{ Encouraging posts can come later after MIMU feels more confident. }

Because "baby koala wont leave mom's side" videos are such a confidence booster.

You're welcome for the dose of reality, MIMU, I hope you act on what was genuine advice from someone who is not content to simply appease your current negative state of mind.

Why the fuck would you appease a kid who is crying over a test?

"Ohhh poor bbyyy, it's okay, don't cry, it's not your fault, it's okay" is the kind of BS that makes kids cry over petty ass tests in the first place.

How about, yeah, you did pretty bad this time, but this isn't your only chance and it's not worth letting it effect your mood. Next time why don't we put a study guide together to help you change your low score.

No, fuck that, kids can't handle the reality of being told they're doing something wrong and need to change, it might break them!

Last edited Jun 12, 2015 at 07:22PM EDT

lisalombs wrote:

I'm sorry, I forgot you were such a close friend of MIMU and you know exactly what's gonna cheer them up. I get it, you just know these things by your divine omniscient mind.

It's not like what your asking MIMU to do is sacrifice more of their time, which they could be using to actually try make themselves happy.

{ It’s not like what your asking MIMU to do is sacrifice more of their time, which they could be using to actually try make themselves happy. }

I'm telling him to sacrifice the time he's spending reading cute news stories to make the circumstances making him sad in the first place disappear.

It doesn't matter who I personally know, if X is making you sad, looking at pictures of ABC is not going to have any effect on X. It's not going to have any genuine effect on your sadness. fuck me for offering an actual solution.

lisalombs wrote:

Because "baby koala wont leave mom's side" videos are such a confidence booster.

You're welcome for the dose of reality, MIMU, I hope you act on what was genuine advice from someone who is not content to simply appease your current negative state of mind.

"Ohhh poor bbyyy, it's okay, don't cry, it's not your fault, it's okay" is the kind of BS that makes kids cry over petty ass tests in the first place.

How about, yeah, you did pretty bad this time, but this isn't your only chance and it's not worth letting it effect your mood. Next time why don't we put a study guide together to help you change your low score.

No, fuck that, kids can't handle the reality of being told they're doing something wrong and need to change, it might break them!

Lisa confirmed to know both MIMU and kids inside out. She must have worked with kids for a reallly long time and has been a very close friend of MIM

I'm going to ask both you and me to stop derailing this thread. This isn't what OP wanted

Last edited Jun 12, 2015 at 07:29PM EDT

lisalombs wrote:

lisalombs wrote:

{ It’s not like what your asking MIMU to do is sacrifice more of their time, which they could be using to actually try make themselves happy. }

I'm telling him to sacrifice the time he's spending reading cute news stories to make the circumstances making him sad in the first place disappear.

It doesn't matter who I personally know, if X is making you sad, looking at pictures of ABC is not going to have any effect on X. It's not going to have any genuine effect on your sadness. fuck me for offering an actual solution.

I think he's very aware that looking at this stuff isn't going to fix his life, and that's the mistake you're making. He just asked for stuff that might help him take his mind off of it for a bit and lessen the crushing sadness so he can regain some focus in his life and some emotion other than pain. It's called escapism, and it isn't always completely bad. You're acting like life is all serious all the time. This dude lives in the first world I'm assuming as well as yourself, life isn't all the struggle to survive. I'm sure he can take some time out of his life to smile a bit and have some fun. In fact it might help him gain some morale and then try to fix things. You also make the mistake Spider pointed out that you're acting like some kind of parent to the dude you've probably never even talked to like you know him inside and out. Overall you're just missing the point of the thread and I ask you leave unless you're going to try to give him a positive boost. At this point it's becoming harassment.

@MIMU

Last edited Jun 12, 2015 at 07:33PM EDT

Here's my desperate attempt at getting back on topic: MIMU, every now and then, life just hauls off and kicks you in the nuts. I've been absurdly lucky in many regards, but even I've had some seriously bad times. Something I noticed is when we are dealing with legitimately big problems, we tend to exaggerate the small problems to fit our unhappiness. We turn things that don't involve us into apocalyptic crises. I'm not a psychologist or economist, so feel free to take what I say with much salt, but try not to worry too much about the state of the world. Also, there is nothing wrong with asking for financial assistance if you are really struggling.

Damn this thread has been just really uplifting you guys. All these happy posts and people sharing brofists really brings a smile to my face. It's bonding moments like this that restores faith in humanity. #sarcasm

On second thought, fuck this trainwreck.

Here's a new thread, this one's getting a lock for completing losing its intended purpose.

@Lisa

Regardless of what you think OP needs, this is a thread dedicated to sharing happy news and happy stuff. This isn't a thread to go down and mental with OP. If OP asked us to tell him to suck it up, then your post would've been on topic. But alas, it is not.

@MIMU

Sorry to hear about that stuff that happened to you, and sorry that I gotta do this to this thread now. You're a good guy, and if you manage to get through all that and still walk forward then damn that's some A-class determination I'm spotting.

We're here if you need us.

@Everyone

If you posted happy stuff, good job and I applaud you.

If you went off-topic, regardless of your stance, think to yourself if your post would really make someone with depression a bit more happy. Assholes.

Last edited Jun 12, 2015 at 07:56PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!