Forums / Discussion / General

232,748 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

"Millennials and Generation Z are the same generation"

Last posted Jan 17, 2022 at 12:47PM EST. Added Jan 04, 2022 at 03:48PM EST
9 posts from 9 users

I read an article on Firefox Pocket recently that basically alleges that culturally, Millennials and Generation Z are "the same generation", pointing out that the differences between them aren't particularly great. As a Zoomer myself (born 2000) I KINDA agree that I don't feel that different from people slightly older than me compared to people slightly younger than me, but I think they're missing the point in this analysis.

The whole "generational conflict" concept in general is bullshit. "Generations" are very diverse cohorts of people that just happen to be born in the same year; this whole idea that "boomers" "millennials" and "zoomers", not to mention the basically forgotten Gen X, are somehow tribal identity groups in some sort of conflict is hilariously false and misguided and distracts from more important issues imo.

I was born in 1990. I'm a millenial. I share things I like. Some Zoomer-specific things are to my taste, so I share them. (Your memes put ours to shame!) Others I don't like, so I leave them alone. (Miss me with that Fortnite shit. You can have it, but keep it away from me.)

Whoever wrote that article is stuck in a mindset that because we were born at slightly different times, we are fundamentally different. He is mistaken. We're all human, and all humans deserve the same respect.

No!! wrote:

Boomers are right about one thing

We spend way too much time online

Especially me, I spent way too much time online

Boomers had the advantage of growing up in an offline world. You can't miss what you don't know.
Despite that, there are still many boomers wasting too much time on facebook.

I guess the biggest rift is the one between pre-digital age generations and post-digital age generations. Millennials lie on the bridge of it, remembering a time before the widespread use of the internet, while still growing up with it.

Fun thing you mention that, depened smore on how you grew up, when i was in college i met a girl 2 years younger than me, and she didnt knew shit of the local popular culture, modern and old, i was like WTH

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!