Forums / Discussion / General

232,902 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Weird Shit Recommendations For Fever-Dreaming Fellow

Last posted Jan 31, 2022 at 11:47AM EST. Added Jan 14, 2022 at 03:29PM EST
9 posts from 8 users

So despite already catching it once, having two vaccines and only going to work and shopping; I have managed to catch Covid again

Due to fever and coughing fits making it really hard for me to sleep longer than a few hours; I've been having rather funky dreams.

For example, I dreamed that I was a square with lines in, but I really wanted to be a rectangle with spikes but a box with circles wouldn't let me. I woke up multiple times and each time I drifted back to sleep, which shape I was changed.

Yeah, things have been proper weird.

Because of that, I've drifted over to the weird side of YouTube, because at the moment I'm finding it strangely relaxing as I'm lying half-conscious on the couch.

So far, I've been watching a lot of stuff about speculative biology…

This then led me to the Mystery Meat Pit…

And then it just gets more bizarre and strange as I discovered the Monument Mythos…

…Happy Meat Farm…

…and Gemini Home Entertainment System.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for what I can watch until my body stops trying to cook itself?

I'd prefer stuff that was just weird rather than shocking, as I hate jump scares because they are too easy to predict and the videos themselves often come across a really corny.

Although saying that, this one wasn't too bad.

I've been binge watching a youtuber Trey the Explainer lately, he covers diverse topics on paleology, anthropology, and zoology. Also some fun & silly topics like speculative biology and cryptids. Might be down your alley.

Last edited Jan 14, 2022 at 09:10PM EST

These are kind of less weird in the same vein, but I'll reccomend them anyways

More: a claymation short film I remember seeing in IMAX around the turn of the millennium.

The Incident at Tower 37: a CGI Short film that stuck with me back in the day

THE SKWOIDS (aka Good Business): some nice speculative aliens

The Youtuber "Dead Sound" makes some nice stuff. The Autodale Series in particular is great. Personally, I started with the longest short film of the series "Don't Feed the Freaks" though this one is technically in the middle of all of them.

Okay, now for something way of left field

RickRaptor105 is a paleo yourtuber that mostly just rants about crappy dinosaurs in pop culture in an annoying voice that you'll either find funny or unbearable. but I specifically wanted to highlight a specific video. He talks about videos from the earlier days of youtube where people tried to make dinosaur documentaries using game footage from the game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, inspired by Walking with Dinosaurs. Most of them are hilariously bad, and it is kind of nostalgic seeing them. However, this is the most YMMV though

As your attorney, I advise you to watch Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas if you're looking for some weird black comedy.

But as for YouTube content and that speculative biology stuff you were talking about, there's a channel I occasionally watch called Roanoke Gaming where a guy theorizes as to how the biology of monsters and aliens from various games and movies would work while also doing short synopses of the plot of whatever it's from.

Okay, second post because I remembered a few more things, from more weird to less weird.

The Treasure Planet

No, not the 2002 Disney film, the 1982 Bulgarian film. This was semi-popular on Tumblr a few years back. Still, the animation is just… so odd… that it is hard to describe. Not all of it is as bizarre as the early bit with Black Dog and Billy Bones, but I still think it is worth watching nonetheless.

The Plankton Chronicles

A short documentary series that talks about real world plankton. They took special care to film everything with black backdrops that really adds to the alien feeling these organisms already have.
Their website is great to look at in design, but it isn't as great on mobile. Most of the videos are also on Youtube

Uh, after that, I have I guess this real video, which is one of my favorites on Youtube I guess:

Oh, and like the plankton chronicles, there is this video that shows unfamilarly somewhat unearthly animals, but with a narration that seems to harken to a budget and slightly more family friendly version if ZeFrank's "True facts about" series

No like seriously

These are weird

Why are more people not talking about them???

Okay, here's a more "normal" video that actually narrates about them.

Here's an uncanny creepy short film that is was made in 2012 that feels like it could have been an All Tomorrows inspired project.

Not actually creepy, just a fun acid trip music video in various anime styles:

Just a weird video I was shared years ago about Bursday Celebration:

OH OH OH, Final thing. This I know I'm better known for Bio stuff, but I actually have some nostalgia for old CGI VHS tapes that I grew up with and thankfully some of these are on YouTube. Some of these are fairly standard fare of a normal short film that happened to use CGI, while others are somewhat humorously creepy due to the dated technology and somewhat disturbing animation and design choices.

First is Miramar's Imaginit which is a collection of early CGI shorts. Some of the music video shorts have been uploaded to YouTube as their own individual videos. The first one actually includes, among other things, clips of several of the other animations, sorta allowing you to see the diversity of animations.

My favorite short, which is thankfully posted, is This one. It combines CGI, some heavily filtered live action, and some 2-D animation, because at the time making CGI car crashes was too hard.

And then there is the similarly named Miramar's Imaginaria with a similar premise.

Last edited Jan 16, 2022 at 09:45AM EST

If you're looking into speculative biology, 'All Tomorrows' was good. The book itself should be for free online.

There's always Salad Fingers and Meatcanyon for the more nightmarish stuff.

Oats Studio also has a bunch of short movies

I got back into Bloodborne during the quarantine, and got in-depth with the Lore.

Last edited Jan 16, 2022 at 10:37AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!