Forums / Discussion / General

232,890 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

I don't want to do this anymore...

Last posted Sep 10, 2022 at 07:18PM EDT. Added Sep 07, 2022 at 10:50PM EDT
25 posts from 15 users

I'm leaving this place and the reason why?
The Bridget discourse, it was making me feel really bad to point i was panic attacks (yeah pathetic)
and after my breakdown in the comments i decide to take a break from this site, and during my break i….

I take a look at other side… and they were happy…

at this point i just don't want to this anymore…

And it Fucking hurt, I love Know Your Meme, I watch the videos, I lurk around the site until 2018
where i make my account, i feel like Know Your Meme was only sane place left on the internet and it was my home, but now…

Now i feel like i don't here belong here anymore….

I won't argue with you guys, I just want to hear some last words before we path ways.

Averaging around thousand image uploads per year (a rate exceeding my own), the only person who was really uploading to the Bridget gallery with just fanart and not agenda posting, and actually wanted to have good faith conversations on the topic.

I hate that the site is like this to drive you away and it basically happened under my watch. And I get the overall sentiment as well. I used to like actually talking to people on the site, but now it feels to express an opinion that isn't with the majority you have to fight for it. I stopped interacting like I used to for much for the same reasons. If I'm not in the right mindset I can get close to panic attacks or have things esentially as detractors would say "live rent free" in my head. I've gotten better than I used to be, but a lot of it is also I've gotten better at being numb to it all. And then there's the hardest part that this site is basically the only online "community" I'm part of.

If you are unaware of it, I would recommend checking the site discord. It is much closer to "the old kym community" than what much of the site is now. And don't worry, we have other people there that also entirely stopped using the site (as well as at least one user that never joined).

Don't leave because you feel put down by random people on the internet. I've always enjoyed what you had to upload and other people feel that way too.

I also often visit this site to get away from things and enjoy myself. I know dealing with the discourse behind things can be off-putting when it seems like people make a big deal about wanting to argue rather than just having fun. I live that quite a bit here and elsewhere both on the internet and IRL.

If you just need to talk and let things out, at the very least I'd be able to lend a listening ear.

That's a pity, really… I don't know you too well here, but I personally find KYM to be one of the most welcoming communities to the average netizen who wants to dabble in some digital age humor and trends as long as you have reasonable views.

It's a pity that we'll be seeing another longtime user departing, but if you decide to leave for good, then… I wish you all the best and hope you'll find a more welcoming community for you in the future

Squibblyskadew wrote:

Don't leave because you feel put down by random people on the internet. I've always enjoyed what you had to upload and other people feel that way too.

I also often visit this site to get away from things and enjoy myself. I know dealing with the discourse behind things can be off-putting when it seems like people make a big deal about wanting to argue rather than just having fun. I live that quite a bit here and elsewhere both on the internet and IRL.

If you just need to talk and let things out, at the very least I'd be able to lend a listening ear.

I'm sorry
I really need to step away from this site
I'm gonna make my last post near midnight
after that i'm gone.

Dull Man in Strange Time! wrote:

I'm sorry
I really need to step away from this site
I'm gonna make my last post near midnight
after that i'm gone.

I understand…
We'll miss you, Space Cowboy. Hope you'll find happiness wherever you'll decide to go past now.

I feel like I need to emphasize this.

Right now the Bridget gallery has 199 images. More than half of these were uploaded by Dull Man in Strange Time.

These were all fanart, most of them had no connection to identity-related issues, and the few that did were fairly subtle and not anvilicious. Random Man used to tell users that had problems with the site to "be the change you want to see". It is very clear that this was what was attempted. Instead of trying to confront images and users that had very strong opinions and were not looking for constructive criticism, the method of leading by example and uploading a large volume of good fanart to healthy dilute the culture ware related stuff to have a gallery to be focused on fanart was employed. But of course, more than a hundred pieces of good fanart isn't going to get the same attention as comics deriding certain interpretations.

Going through Dull Man's other activity, it is even more dispiriting knowing that you are going. Not only is there a very large volume of correctly sourced, well tagged fanart that isn't over culture war stuff, but I'm also noticing attempts to continually further improve upon your tagging and sourcing despite already being in the top 30 of non-staff/mod image uploaders and in the top 70 of non-staff/mod image editors.

And the interactions and comments that I've seen that I feel confident are what Dull Man felt dishearted by to the point of wanting to leave are from people who have generally contributed less than a hundredth, or in many cases, less than a thousandth in terms of tangible contributions compared to what Dull Man has. A few were clearly just aggressive trolls that joined a month or less ago and have since been banned. But others are long time users who might have valid points, but are so aggressive about them and dismissive of others that no reasonable person would want to actually have a conversation about it.

Before you get the wrong idea that Dull Man is perfect, there are a few marks for NSFW/ NC images and some tagging issues. And some of the images that aren't NC are ones that I'd personally think are a bit too much. But honestly, I don't really care. The site contributions so massively outweigh the negatives, especially when these "negatives" are essentially just technical formalities. The activities I've seen have been civil, friendly, and/or wanting personal self-improvement on the website paired with a huge volume of images. And not just uploads of one thing. Sure there are some that are preferred, but this isn't a case of just 2-3 fandoms being uploaded. These are memes, comics, fanart, and animations in many different galleries

I don't want to tell you you should stay, because if you're feeling burnt out now, then even if you do stay, the burnout will be even worse later. Again, I do suggest the KYM Discord but I also know that this is mostly just a chill place that is easier to ignore politics and isn't the same as uploading fanart to share. I want you to do what you feel is best for you. I think a lot of users that actually care will hate to see you go, but at the same time I know that this sentiment won't counterbalance your experiences on the site. Seeing this is particularly hard on me, though I do wish you the best.

Jill wrote:

I feel like I need to emphasize this.

Right now the Bridget gallery has 199 images. More than half of these were uploaded by Dull Man in Strange Time.

These were all fanart, most of them had no connection to identity-related issues, and the few that did were fairly subtle and not anvilicious. Random Man used to tell users that had problems with the site to "be the change you want to see". It is very clear that this was what was attempted. Instead of trying to confront images and users that had very strong opinions and were not looking for constructive criticism, the method of leading by example and uploading a large volume of good fanart to healthy dilute the culture ware related stuff to have a gallery to be focused on fanart was employed. But of course, more than a hundred pieces of good fanart isn't going to get the same attention as comics deriding certain interpretations.

Going through Dull Man's other activity, it is even more dispiriting knowing that you are going. Not only is there a very large volume of correctly sourced, well tagged fanart that isn't over culture war stuff, but I'm also noticing attempts to continually further improve upon your tagging and sourcing despite already being in the top 30 of non-staff/mod image uploaders and in the top 70 of non-staff/mod image editors.

And the interactions and comments that I've seen that I feel confident are what Dull Man felt dishearted by to the point of wanting to leave are from people who have generally contributed less than a hundredth, or in many cases, less than a thousandth in terms of tangible contributions compared to what Dull Man has. A few were clearly just aggressive trolls that joined a month or less ago and have since been banned. But others are long time users who might have valid points, but are so aggressive about them and dismissive of others that no reasonable person would want to actually have a conversation about it.

Before you get the wrong idea that Dull Man is perfect, there are a few marks for NSFW/ NC images and some tagging issues. And some of the images that aren't NC are ones that I'd personally think are a bit too much. But honestly, I don't really care. The site contributions so massively outweigh the negatives, especially when these "negatives" are essentially just technical formalities. The activities I've seen have been civil, friendly, and/or wanting personal self-improvement on the website paired with a huge volume of images. And not just uploads of one thing. Sure there are some that are preferred, but this isn't a case of just 2-3 fandoms being uploaded. These are memes, comics, fanart, and animations in many different galleries

I don't want to tell you you should stay, because if you're feeling burnt out now, then even if you do stay, the burnout will be even worse later. Again, I do suggest the KYM Discord but I also know that this is mostly just a chill place that is easier to ignore politics and isn't the same as uploading fanart to share. I want you to do what you feel is best for you. I think a lot of users that actually care will hate to see you go, but at the same time I know that this sentiment won't counterbalance your experiences on the site. Seeing this is particularly hard on me, though I do wish you the best.

Thank you for the kind words Jill, But i don't think i'm going to the Discord server anytime soon.
i'm gonna post my last image soon….

And it going be very upfront of how i feel.

Last edited Sep 08, 2022 at 10:43AM EDT

Bomber-Boi wrote:

Oh God. I just wonder what's driving Dull Man away…

Is this sarcasm, or did you just not read the part in the OP where Dull Man said it was "the Bridget discourse"?

Right now, the Bridget entry has 21 pages of comments. 12 of those pages, more than half, are of comments made since August 8th. Dull Man just likes Bridge. However, a lot of people are much more interested in one very specific aspect of Bridget, with attempts at bringing up alternative views being mobbed, often independent of the merits of these views. With a few exceptions, this generally describes the entire comments section during this timeframe.

I don't want to speak for a user, but again, given what I've seen of Dull Man's activity, this is the type of behavior they wanted to avoid online in general. They just wanted to enjoy Guilty Gear and Bridget and share memes and fanart.

I wouldnt say that is entirely a problem with this website, that is how the internet in general functions nowadays.

I am not justifying it in fact I hate it, if I could give past kid me a single line of advice it would be to avoid the internet altogether it went to shit during the 2010s.

No I am not going with the boomer "log of the interent and go outside" cause honestly I dont like people outside either.

Still I disgress that is not important, I would say the internet started going downhill around the time of gamergate, tumblr got into politics, 4chan started getting populatirity, the adpocalypse where youtube got all strict and moderation started going up everywhere…..I am not exactly sure where but somewhere around there

Wow, sucks to hear that, buddy. I really wish you didn't go, because that'd be one less quality member on this website, and as pointed out by No, the Discourse™ is pretty much Internet-wide nowadays, not just here… but in the end, it's your decision, and hopefully it's the right one. I still hope you come back among us one day. Not soon, of course, but some day. For now, best of luck, and get well.

No!! wrote:

I wouldnt say that is entirely a problem with this website, that is how the internet in general functions nowadays.

I am not justifying it in fact I hate it, if I could give past kid me a single line of advice it would be to avoid the internet altogether it went to shit during the 2010s.

No I am not going with the boomer "log of the interent and go outside" cause honestly I dont like people outside either.

Still I disgress that is not important, I would say the internet started going downhill around the time of gamergate, tumblr got into politics, 4chan started getting populatirity, the adpocalypse where youtube got all strict and moderation started going up everywhere…..I am not exactly sure where but somewhere around there

I miss when this site was a relatively safe haven from anything that could resemble culture war stuff, but I guess we should have taken the hint somewhere in 2014 about where things would be headed, huh…

Nedhitis wrote:

I miss when this site was a relatively safe haven from anything that could resemble culture war stuff, but I guess we should have taken the hint somewhere in 2014 about where things would be headed, huh…

Pretty much the internet is a lot less forgiving and tolerant to those that "don't fit in" nowadays cause everyone is fighting in this eternal and draining culture war bullshit.

The internet has become a place of elitistic highschool cliques eternally in war, except it's also political. I don't like it.

Nedhitis wrote:

In a way, it was kind of unavoidable that KnowYourMeme would be impacted at some point. The entire point of the website in the first place is to document online viral trends. Since more and more of them are controversies, or about controversial topics, or retroactively becoming controversial, some of the associated discourse just has to reach us along the way. It doesn't help, of course, that some people try to upload their own pictures merely as propaganda (see the Ukraine War entry). Maybe we are just too good at being the mirror of the Internet. Anyway, this website is still the best at doing what it does, and still is relatively less aggravating than most websites, but the situation still blows.

No!! wrote:

Yeah…uhm….I would think twice about doing that…

Yeah, if you're sick of inane drama, you should go in the exact opposite direction of the shitcord. It's a worse mirror of the main site; or in other words, it's an even bigger circlejerk.

OP, ultimately, it is your choice to leave. You're a quality contributor so it would be a loss, but again, it's ultimately your decision.

Drama, culture-wars and irrelevant virtual political trite driving off good-natured, impartial contributors and creators once again. I hope to see a return to form for the internet soon, maybe when the more impulsive parties using it finally burn out on their tribalism and pettiness.

I wouldn't let them drive you out though; that's what these drama queens want. They drive people out of every site by being completely insufferable until there's nowhere left to just post about your interests. It's best when people leave the sites they frequent when they finally get bored of them (if ever), not because childish pricks caused them to become disillusioned with it.

While I haven't been well invested in this site, not to mention being on and off and not fully interacting with the userbase, I will say that you'll be missed by those who enjoyed chatting with you and replying to your comments.

Much as the userbase of this site can be volatile and all, it is sad to lose a member but even then, best of luck. Both on another site and IRL.

Spaghetto wrote:

Yeah, if you're sick of inane drama, you should go in the exact opposite direction of the shitcord. It's a worse mirror of the main site; or in other words, it's an even bigger circlejerk.

OP, ultimately, it is your choice to leave. You're a quality contributor so it would be a loss, but again, it's ultimately your decision.

>circlejerk

You just salty cause you got banned there.
Also mind that half the drama you talking about was started by you.

If you avoid the politics channels it's pretty fun on the discord.

Last edited Sep 09, 2022 at 10:24AM EDT
i feel like Know Your Meme was only sane place left on the internet

really? I felt the opposite if anything, the site's always felt like a microcosm of the greater net, with all the fighting, bitterness, and horniness that comes with it, and as the years went by that only seems to have intensified

This kind of thing just reminds me of how long I have been on this site. I think the fact that this site isn't what it used to be is pretty well understood at this point. Sorry you have to go, but I totally understand.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!