Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Tech giants Microsoft and Google have laid off a lot of workers just this past week (over 22,000 combined)

Last posted Jan 20, 2023 at 05:31PM EST. Added Jan 20, 2023 at 12:34PM EST
4 posts from 3 users

Microsoft

Google

For Microsoft a pretty decent chunk of the laid off staff came from game studios the company owns such as 343 Industries and Bethesda, which now leaves me feeling really conflicted about the Activision-Blizzard acquisition because I've stated I want it to happen because I felt it would only benefit the people working for those studios after years of poor conditions with upper management, but now I'm starting to feel like doing a 180 on that. Former 343 staffers have also been coming forward about how bad the leadership in the company has been and why that's a big reason for Halo's troubles this past decade.

For Google, I can't find anything that says which departments got hit hardest, but with Stadia having been shut down this past week I can only imagine Google probably laid off a large amount of the people in charge of their cloud and gaming divisions.

This is still only the beginning. And on top of layoffs we have store shelves going empty.

Brothers and sisters, we’re in for a bumpy ride. You don’t have to go full on prepper mode but at least start acquiring a decent amount of canned food and supplies.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Microsoft

Google

For Microsoft a pretty decent chunk of the laid off staff came from game studios the company owns such as 343 Industries and Bethesda, which now leaves me feeling really conflicted about the Activision-Blizzard acquisition because I've stated I want it to happen because I felt it would only benefit the people working for those studios after years of poor conditions with upper management, but now I'm starting to feel like doing a 180 on that. Former 343 staffers have also been coming forward about how bad the leadership in the company has been and why that's a big reason for Halo's troubles this past decade.

For Google, I can't find anything that says which departments got hit hardest, but with Stadia having been shut down this past week I can only imagine Google probably laid off a large amount of the people in charge of their cloud and gaming divisions.

The economy is in the pits, when people tighten thier belts the first things to go from the family budget is the expensive luxuries like high end video games.

It's not good news for the AAA industries but may be a boon for smaller companies and indies that can afford to release on low prices, assuming this doesnt get to the point where all luxuries go out the window for the sake of essentials.

Last edited Jan 20, 2023 at 05:32PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!