Forums / Discussion / General

234,560 total conversations in 7,810 threads

+ New Thread

Does water taste bad to some people?

Last posted Sep 04, 2024 at 12:24PM EDT. Added Aug 28, 2024 at 11:15AM EDT
11 posts from 11 users

Is there some condition or trait that makes water taste bad to some people? Not as in "This particular water tastes bad" but water generally? Over the years I've seen various cases online and IRL of people who physically struggle to drink water without retching or will otherwise assert that it all tastes terrible. It feels like the most outlandish thing to me every time I see it, and yet it seems all too common. This has to be some sort of medical thing.
Anyone here have a "drinking problem" of your own for reference?

I don't have a drinking problem (and I also don't have a drinking problem), but I do notice that water from different places do certainly have different flavors (eg water from drinking fountains where I am seem to taste slightly metallic, tap water from my house is different from the tap water at the places I go to, and bottled waters do taste different according to the brand).

Water taste is likely caused by any combination of natural earthly minerals and whatever spills or dumps that occur near a well (Source: so many I forgot I might as well have made it up).

Thus, I hypothesize that due to someone's particular tolerance for certain tastes, and the natural (and artificial) things that get added to the water may contribute to someone despising the taste of water, if for a specific location's or brand.

The hypothesis falls apart if the people don't like any water, in addition to the fact that I am talking entirely out of my ass.

i was shocked when some time back i originally found out some peeps don't drink water at all (and whaddya know, it was on twitter. because of course it was)
fair enough if you have allergies (yes, being allergic to water is a very real thing) but if it's just because it isn't tasty or something then…

There's this stereotype about food in the US being overly sugary or "flavored" but I don't know for sure since I've never even traveled outside my country.
If that's true, it might make some people averse to plain water because they're that addicted to sugar.

Hello! You must login or signup first!