Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,724 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Western Federation VS. Eastern Alliance: Science VS. Magic (Phase 1: Sign Ups/ Interest Check)

Last posted Aug 13, 2012 at 09:21PM EDT. Added Aug 12, 2012 at 07:46PM EDT
36 posts from 12 users

The world has changed…

In the West, secularism, atheism and scientific study became the way of the land. From Moscow to D.C., science reigns. But East of the Ural Mountains exists a much different landscape. In Asia and the Middle East, the people have largely cast aside technology, instead choosing religious enlightenment over scientific knowledge.

But this is not a hard, fast line. The various Native American tribes in the Americas are split right down the middle, with half wanting to defect to the Eastern Alliance to practice their ancient beliefs, the other half remaining fiercely loyal to their native lands and patriotically following the Federation government. Likewise, the Vatican has become a battleground, with no clear consensus between the various cardinals. Even the Pope himself is conflicted and unable to pick a side.

The same phenomenon exists in the Eastern Alliance's lands, with many scientists, scholars and researchers wanting equally to protect their homelands, while still teaching the ways of science, technology and intellectualism. Many in Japan are unable to decide their allegiance.

And these raging internal conflicts are about to send both sides into war.

Extremist groups swearing allegiance to one side while within the other's territory are on the rise, pinning blame for attacks on the government they support. The result is that tensions between the Western Federation and Eastern Alliance are at a breaking point.

The world is at a turning point, a crossroads. Which way will humanity ultimately turn? That shall be decided on the battlefield.

Which is where you come in. You must choose a side, then lead an army in battle against your enemies, or engage in covert operations behind enemy lines. Whatever you do, defeat is not an option.

This war is about to go from a simple propaganda war into open conflict and all must be ready to make sacrifices. You and your soldiers will be called upon to defend your lands with your lives.

So which side are you on? The scientifically advanced Western Federation, with their tanks and guns? Or the magically empowered Eastern Alliance, with their spells and gods?

Now is when you must decide who you will be in this conflict. Tell us your Name, Allegiance and Origin. Then describe the unit you command. Tell us their Unit Designation, Unit Type and Reputation.

Each of you will generally be responsible for an entire division, or the equivalent thereof. As such, you must be prepared for large scale battles, with many losses if you should mess up.

The Factions are as follows:

• The Western Federation:
    • Masters of science and technology. The Federation's soldiers are well armored, armed to the teeth and trained to deal with just about anything. The Federation's units are fast, well coordinated, pragmatic to a fault. They never engage without some form of tactical superiority.
    • Federation weapons include a mix of kinetic energy-based magnetic accelerators, lasers and plasma projectors. Many forms of missiles and rockets are also employed, mostly by aircraft. Robotic units are also used frequently.
      • The Federation is basically western sci-fi distilled into its most pure elements. Star Wars, Mass Effect, Star Trek, Crysis, 2000 AD, etc. etc. are their primary inspirations.
  • The Eastern Alliance:
    • Magi, sorcerers, witches, wizards, shamans and other magically empowered folk. This lends itself to a more methodical "hit and run" kind of combat, instead of the Federation's ability to charge headlong into the fray. Due to the various different forms of magic across the Alliance's lands, plus those used by Federation defectors, the Alliance can be highly unpredictable. However, many are obsessed with ancient codes of honor, leading to many fighting on well past the point where the battle was lost.
    • While the vast majority of those serving in the Alliance military rely mostly on magic, even the most specialized spellcasters carry some manner of hand to hand weapon, and many also carry simple firearms, though these are older gunpowder-based designs or shoulder fired rockets of relative simplicity.
      • The Alliance is basically eastern fantasy rendered into its most pure form, though western religions due have an influence. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem and other JRPGs are their primary influences, though you will see influences from western fantasy in some cases, especially old Native American legends, ancient Roman and Greek beliefs, and even hints of old Norse myths.

Which side are you on, soldier?

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 07:50PM EDT

madcat wrote:

This sounds like fun, but would you mind going into greater detail on "Unit Designation, Unit Type and Reputation."?

Unit Type determines the overall abilities of your unit. Are you commanding an Infantry Division, an Armored Division, a Naval Fleet? This determines the base abilities of your force.

Unit Designation is simply the name of your force. Official designation is generally a number, followed by the unit's type. Unofficial designations can be whatever you like.

Reputation is what your unit is known for. Are they blood thirsty berserkers, or tactical operators known for stealth and ambushes?

Tyrone pines and I side with the eastern alliance.
I command an infantry division
We are known as 618 infantry " the dipper clones"
We are strategist that over think things.

@kipp
Have you ever stepped into tall grass, with real Pokemon?
No? Then shut up and stop giving him a hard time.

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT

Dac wrote:

Tyrone pines and I side with the eastern alliance.
I command an infantry division
We are known as 618 infantry " the dipper clones"
We are strategist that over think things.

@kipp
Have you ever stepped into tall grass, with real Pokemon?
No? Then shut up and stop giving him a hard time.

Now I just need an Origin for General Pines and you're set.

/\/00b wrote:

What do you mean by origin?

Where did the character come from? What is their overall psychological profile because of that?

Cite wrote:

Hey guys! Let's take religion vs. science and turn it into a fucking shootout!

That may be the basic overall styling from an outside perspective, but I do NOT intend for this to become political.

Understand?

opspe wrote:

Religion doesn't invent nuclear warheads. Just sayin'…

Read my post just above yours.

Get politics the HELL out of this thread before it turns into a shitstorm.

This is a roleplay game, based on the forum? Or some third party website? Is there a rulebook or is this a 100% GM narrative inspired by player actions? If it is a geopolitical game, can we have a map? How will we do things in the game? Sending you a private message for each action or stating it in the thread? Will this be turn based or real-time?

I might join. I like this kind of thing, usually.

Count Lionel wrote:

This is a roleplay game, based on the forum? Or some third party website? Is there a rulebook or is this a 100% GM narrative inspired by player actions? If it is a geopolitical game, can we have a map? How will we do things in the game? Sending you a private message for each action or stating it in the thread? Will this be turn based or real-time?

I might join. I like this kind of thing, usually.

RP. Original creation by yours truly.

The mechanics are turn based. Most actions you should state in the thread, but covert actions must be PM'd to a GM.

There will be a map.

However, back when I tried to run this on TV Tropes, I proved woefully inadequate to GM the game. So if anyone wants to be GM, let me know.

Also, for the record, actions have effectiveness determined by 1d6. I'll elaborate in the actual game thread.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

That may be the basic overall styling from an outside perspective, but I do NOT intend for this to become political.

Understand?

>basic overall styling
No, that's exactly what it is.
Please tell me how it's not.

Cite wrote:

>basic overall styling
No, that's exactly what it is.
Please tell me how it's not.

The core influences for each side are derived from fiction, not actual science or religions.

If you were an ineffective GM then why would you try to run a game again?

I used to GM occasionally when I was a kid in some games I played with the neighbors and my cousins. Mostly workings of our own invention, since we could never find anything official from the game stores. If you give up, and I like the game enough, I might want to take over. It depends on how many numbers are involved, and if I have the time to handle them. Send me a private message with more details please!

The core influences for each side are derived from fiction, not actual science or religions.

The Alliance is basically eastern fantasy rendered into its most pure form, though western religions due have an influence.

Cite wrote:

The Alliance is basically eastern fantasy rendered into its most pure form, though western religions due have an influence.

The core influence is still from fiction. I'm not going to allow religion vs. science debates to take over the thread.

Now, either post something constructive, or

The origins of Tyrone huh? You see, tyrone was always known as the best wingman

His attention to detail and ability to create over complicated plans would allow him to orchestrate magnificent plans to get his buds laid. That is, till one day, his bud didn't follow the plan. Disillusioned with this, he joined the military and his strategic genius got him where he is today.

Dac wrote:

The origins of Tyrone huh? You see, tyrone was always known as the best wingman

His attention to detail and ability to create over complicated plans would allow him to orchestrate magnificent plans to get his buds laid. That is, till one day, his bud didn't follow the plan. Disillusioned with this, he joined the military and his strategic genius got him where he is today.

So we have our first player. At last.

Player List:

• Dac the non-bender
    • Character: General Tyrone Pines
    • Unit: Eastern Alliance 618th Infantry Division, the "Dipper Clones"
    • Origin and Reputation: Strategists and masterminds, the 618th are known for thinking through every detail of their operations. Their leader, General Pines, was once a great womanizer, planning out ways for his friends to get laid. One time, the plan broke down, leading to his humiliation. Now, he puts his great tactical genius to use on the battlefield.

Faction: Western Federation
Character: Captain Nick Malone. Codename "Falcon"
Unit Type: Spec Ops
Unit Designation: 2048 Spec Ops "Sky Block" (Not sure about this)
Origin and Reputation: A Talented psychic, Nick was snatched by Federation spies when he was born in China and raised to be a special operatives member with special powers. He has night vision, and the ability to stop time for a few seconds. The ability is commonly used to get past guard posts, but is sometimes used for a battle advantage. He can extend the time stop, but that drains his energy and makes him become more sluggish. His exploits aren't really known, because they're a special ops team, and they work in the shadows. His squad consists of him and 4 other psychics just like him, but having different powers developed. (TL;DR, huh?)

Player List:

• Dac the non-bender
    • Origin and Reputation: Strategists and masterminds, the 618th are known for thinking through every detail of their operations. Their leader, General Pines, was once a great womanizer, planning out ways for his friends to get laid. One time, the plan broke down, leading to his humiliation. Now, he puts his great tactical genius to use on the battlefield.
  • Captain Douglas J. Falcon
    • Character: Captain Nick Malone, codename "Falcon"
    • Unit: 2048th Special Operations Company "Sky Block"
    • Origin and Reputation: Captain Malone was born in China, but seized by Federation spies as an infant. Even at an early age, he showed the ability to see at night and to stop time for brief periods. His company is comprised of other gifted individuals and used to infiltrate Alliance territory.

(Yes, I gave you an entire company rather than just a single squad.)

We just need a large frontline unit on the Federation's side and we can open the first front of the war.

•Character- Oliver Clothzuff
•Unit:Western Federation 188th Special Forces, "Cancer Corps."
•Origin and Reputation: Coming from a long line of doctors, Oliver knows everything and anything to know on how to kill a man. Oliver decided to use his medical expertise for battlefield usage. Named "Cancer Corps." for the reason that their weapons, ammo, and equipment are ment to have differrent types of poison and toxins that can kill instantly or a slow and painful death.

Is this good?

/\/00b wrote:

•Character- Oliver Clothzuff
•Unit:Western Federation 188th Special Forces, "Cancer Corps."
•Origin and Reputation: Coming from a long line of doctors, Oliver knows everything and anything to know on how to kill a man. Oliver decided to use his medical expertise for battlefield usage. Named "Cancer Corps." for the reason that their weapons, ammo, and equipment are ment to have differrent types of poison and toxins that can kill instantly or a slow and painful death.

Is this good?

Player List:

• Dac the non-bender
  • Captain Douglas J. Falcon
    • Character: Captain Nick Malone, codename "Falcon"
    • Unit: 2048th Special Operations Company "Sky Block"
    • Origin and Reputation: Captain Malone was born in China, but seized by Federation spies as an infant. Even at an early age, he showed the ability to see at night and to stop time for brief periods. His company is comprised of other gifted individuals and used to infiltrate Alliance territory.
  • /\/00b
    • Character: General Oliver Clothzuff
    • Unit: Western Federation 188th Special Forces Division, the "Cancer Corps"
    • Origin and Reputation: General Clothzuff comes from a long line of medical professionals. As such, he knows every way conceivable to kill someone. He passed this knowledge through the ranks of the 188th, the "Cancer Corps", who are known for their use of poisoned weapons able to do everything from stun and incapacitate, to killing in various manners, such as inducing heart attacks or slowly damaging the nervous system.

We still need an armored or infantry division for the Federation.

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 09:39PM EDT

Wait, can I add a power since I didn't know we could do that?

I want to have the ability for me and my troops to make duplicates of ourselves( like loki in the movies).

Dac wrote:

Wait, can I add a power since I didn't know we could do that?

I want to have the ability for me and my troops to make duplicates of ourselves( like loki in the movies).

Makes sense to me.

Character: Captain Jonathan H.R. Wolfe, known as the Beastmaster
Unit: Eastern Alliance Covert Affairs Block 193, known as "Apache"
Origin and Reputation: After a rather shit night on the town which began with a trip to the dentist and ended with a high heeled shoe to the face, the Captain woke up with the loss of a right eye, and a newfound ability to talk to animals. Further experimentation showed that if he formed a bond with a beast, he could see through its eyes, or even take total control for a period of time, though his body would be completely vulnerable. This power allows him to conduct the most delicate of surveillance missions and assassinations with little to no suspicion. Until a hawk spears a guy through the neck. In addition, he can command entire packs of animals into battle by taking control of the alpha. Block 193 has studied and perfected the Apache techniques of using terrain to their advantage and invading camps while soldiers are at their least prepared.

Name: Unknown, goes by nickname "Pyro" given by his subordinates and officially adopted by high command as his name , various aliases include Firebug and Arsonist
Faction: Federation
Unit: Special "cleaner" unit sent on suicide missions, specializing in explosives and fire-based weaponry, aptly named "Slash and Burn" due to their missions involving clearing places fast without any concern besides disposing of enemies, also taking care of loose ends and defectors. They will act as a major offensive line force when needed to, as their equipment allows for heavy damage up close on front lines, but they prefer to stick to cleaning jobs.
Origin: He refuses to reveal much about his past, preferring to keep them hidden from everyone. Various burn marks and scars from the years, a scorched set of dog tags (unreadable from the damage), and his gas mask that he never removes are notable features.
Reputation: Known for close-quarters combat, never hiding behind his troops. Brutal hand-to-hand fighter if needed to be, although for extremely close encounters he carries a blood-soaked machete. Normally known for wearing a fireproof suit as protection from his flamethrower, battle strategies consist of nothing more complex than "burn the fuck out of everyone, pump the survivors full of lead, and slice the rest".

So, good enough or is there things that need to be changed?

Sunhammer wrote:

Name: Unknown, goes by nickname "Pyro" given by his subordinates and officially adopted by high command as his name , various aliases include Firebug and Arsonist
Faction: Federation
Unit: Special "cleaner" unit sent on suicide missions, specializing in explosives and fire-based weaponry, aptly named "Slash and Burn" due to their missions involving clearing places fast without any concern besides disposing of enemies, also taking care of loose ends and defectors. They will act as a major offensive line force when needed to, as their equipment allows for heavy damage up close on front lines, but they prefer to stick to cleaning jobs.
Origin: He refuses to reveal much about his past, preferring to keep them hidden from everyone. Various burn marks and scars from the years, a scorched set of dog tags (unreadable from the damage), and his gas mask that he never removes are notable features.
Reputation: Known for close-quarters combat, never hiding behind his troops. Brutal hand-to-hand fighter if needed to be, although for extremely close encounters he carries a blood-soaked machete. Normally known for wearing a fireproof suit as protection from his flamethrower, battle strategies consist of nothing more complex than "burn the fuck out of everyone, pump the survivors full of lead, and slice the rest".

So, good enough or is there things that need to be changed?

First off, I have to have an actual name for your character, not just an alias.

Second, your unit has to have a specific classification. Are they infantry? Is it an armored division? Some manner of Special Forces (though I will have to declare a temporary halt on the creation of new spec ops units)?

Otherwise, however, it looks decent.

First off, I have to have an actual name for your character, not just an alias.

Second, your unit has to have a specific classification. Are they infantry? Is it an armored division? Some manner of Special Forces (though I will have to declare a temporary halt on the creation of new spec ops units)?

Otherwise, however, it looks decent.

The Unit thing I can deal with.
Mainly infantry, although they can function as an armored unit.
The name part is supposed to part of his character.
No one knows it, so his official as far as everyone is concerned is "Pyro", which started out as a nickname. Although if you want a real name, just call him Clarent Janes. Old name from childhood, but even then its not his real one

Sunhammer wrote:

The Unit thing I can deal with.
Mainly infantry, although they can function as an armored unit.
The name part is supposed to part of his character.
No one knows it, so his official as far as everyone is concerned is "Pyro", which started out as a nickname. Although if you want a real name, just call him Clarent Janes. Old name from childhood, but even then its not his real one

Right then. General Clarent Janes, commanding an infantry division.

Now they just need an official designation.

Right then. General Clarent Janes, commanding an infantry division.

Now they just need an official designation.

Alright….5150th devision, AKA Slash and Burn
That work? Or did I derp again and mix up the term "designation"

Sunhammer wrote:

Alright….5150th devision, AKA Slash and Burn
That work? Or did I derp again and mix up the term "designation"

You're in.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!