Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,792 total conversations in 9,945 threads

+ New Thread

Phobia General (v 1.5?)

Last posted Apr 22, 2014 at 03:31PM EDT. Added Apr 20, 2014 at 06:46AM EDT
22 posts from 18 users

NOTICE: Do Not openly post images in this thread. I'd prefer no images, but spoiler an image if you feel you need to post your trigger. Link anything else if you feel like you need to post it.

We've had one of these before, but don't know who was in it other than 19 people joined and 3 are either banned or deactivated, so here we go again.

I wanted to know if you had any phobias, KYM. There's so many out there that some of you are bound to have 1 or 2. These usually seem to be hereditary since some of them are instinct based and seemed to be genetically programed, however some are socially developed like the fear of the number 13, Triskaidekaphobia. My mom is Claustrophobic, fear of closed spaces, yet I don't fear this at all. The only two I seem to have are Acrophobia, fear of heights, and Trypophobia, fear of holes (particularly in the skin). The fear of heights isn't too bad. I can ride airplanes and roller coasters fairly fine, but I don't like ledges. It was hard for me to even watch the video of the guys who climbed Shanghai Tower, but it wasn't that bad. Don't even get me started on Trypophobia though. I don't know if this developed from my exposure to 4chan, but I'm pretty sure I can remember having this as a child. The cover to Hellraiser creeped me out when i passed it in movie stores and the cover of the book "Holes" would give me the goosebumps as well. Now, it's hard for me to even look at a wasp/hornet's nest without cringing hard and turning away. I had to remove one last year, but I managed after taking one of those "Herbal Relaxing" drinks to do it. The pictures on the internet though…*blargh*. I just saw one on Twitter and literally threw up in my mouth as well as got major goosebumps. I'm not even going to link to any examples or I'll have nightmares. Just google Trypophobia and Google with give you the images I'm talking about on the search result page, but I recommend not doing it. I made the mistake of googling Trypophobia to make sure that's what I had about two years ago, and I will never be googling "Trypophobia" again. I can't even type "fear of holes" without thinking of those images. Those lotus…holes……..okay. I've reached my limit even thinking about this stuff…

tl;dr: Post phobias, omit images or spoiler them.

Last edited Apr 20, 2014 at 06:47AM EDT

When I was little, I was afraid of Operation.
You know, the board game.

To this day, I'm still not entirely sure why.
My theory is that every time I avoided the game (in a store, at a friend's house, etc.) I felt
relieved, so that just reinforced my fears.

I'm well over my fear of the game now, but I still have never played it.

I'm afraid of heights, being alone, people in costumes, dolls, spiders, insects, snakes, and being around people.

I'm also known as a big chicken shit.

Thanatophobia, I think, the fear of death. I just can't stand the thought of feeling nothing, being nothing, and experiencing nothing for, forever. All your great life experiences, all the great people you met, crazy things you did, captivating knowledge learned, everything, gone. The more I think about it, the more anxiety I get. It's awful, but I get it less since I'm more occupied.

Well, after reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven in school, I feel a bit more relieved. It was really an inspiring book on the author's take of life after death. Highly recommend.

Last edited Apr 20, 2014 at 10:22AM EDT

I have entomophobia (fear of insects). These are pictures that I have a hard time looking at. (I know that some of them are technically not insects).

I also have carpophobia (fear of wrists).

I have a slight fear of heights, which was brought on by what I've come to call "The Lighthouse Incident". When I was nine or ten, I climbed a lighthouse, but the poor railing (which someone could easily slip through) made me nervous…and let's just leave it at that, there was lots of tears, and some guy tripped on the stairs and landed right on me, which did not help. I know, I was just a wuss back then, but it still left me with said fear of heights.

Now if there's a genuine phobia I have, it's probably really bad thunderstorms (brontophobia?) thanks to two things:

• That time we thought a tornado was going to hit my house…(it wound up passing by about ten miles away, but the scars remained.)
  • When I was home alone with my sister during another nasty storm and a microbust occurred (a microburst is a very strong downdraft) that sounded too much like a tornado.

It got so bad that once when my sibs and I stayed home while our parents went out of town, we were supposed to get some more nasty weather (it turned out not being too bad in the end) and, well, suffice to say that I was ready to crack up by the time they got back. (In order, I spent an hour during the night tracking a different bad storm that was passing through, lost my appetite and nearly threw up several times (before we got word that the weather had mellowed out) and spent some time hiding in the bathtub during a spell of heavy rain even though I knew there wasn't anything to worry about.)

Last edited Apr 20, 2014 at 11:50PM EDT

Bionic Kraken wrote:

I have entomophobia (fear of insects). These are pictures that I have a hard time looking at. (I know that some of them are technically not insects).

I also have carpophobia (fear of wrists).

I can understand insects but wrists? May I ask why?

Used to have a phobia of needles and injections, but have since overcome it to the point where I enjoy it. I am still pretty scared of wasps and I dislike insects for the most part.

@Slowking41: Since we are telling stories now, I've got at least one I can think of related to my Acrophobia. I don't have it now nearly as bad as I used to, but when I was like around 10, I crawled up in one of those McDonald's PlayPlaces. (That was back when they still had the ball pits too. lol.) Anyways, in order to get to the slide, I believe you had to cross this one suspended bridge that swayed and rocked as you crossed it. (That was the purpose of it, to be suspended and sway and rock, it wasn't like the piece had become loose or something.) Anyways, I got up in there, contemplated it, crawled in it, and sat my ass down in the middle. I wasn't about to moved. I was so afraid the piece would fall if I moved that I started bawling my eyes out once one kid tried to cross it to get around me. Eventually, after what was like 30 minutes of parents and kids trying to coax me across, some poor dad crawled up there with me and held the bridge steady so that I could cross. My pussiest moment ever. Oh well. At least I have something to laugh about now. Still, I guess I don't really have a fear of heights, but more or less a fear of suspended platforms/falling. I don't like the idea of having nothing really below you for support. That one glass walkway out over the Grand Canyon would probably scare the shit out of me. I probably wouldn't do it. lol.

Sometimes, when I hear people eating something that has a hardy crunch to it, I'll get this really uncomfortable, irrational fear that they're eating their own teeth.

I have a fear of heights (Planes, elevators, and small buildings are ok), but if it's a tall rollercoaster, or even a tall slide, I have to pass. I couldn't even ride the small slides in the playground when I was little! But it has gotten better as I've aged. Another fear (minor one) is of flying insects(Entomophobia?). If they get too close I get nervous :-/

Oh another one is a fear of the deep ocean (Thalassophobia). I almost drowned when I was 8/9 yrs. old, so I avoid swimming. Even with a lifejacket, I can't stand it. Also I can't swim >__>

I have an extreme fear of syringes to the point I can't stand to look at them. It is probably my only phobia but I realize that I shouldn't fear them but I just really, really do. I do not fear that much else though just that over the top one.

Dr. Bots wrote:

I can understand insects but wrists? May I ask why?

I can't explain it. I just hate seeing the bottoms of wrists.

i'm afraind of dying from dehydration and thrombosis on, or shortly after, longer travels by means of transportation that require you to sit down for prolonged amounts of time, especially planes.
i'm also afraid of getting blood poisoning and infectious diseases from (tattooing) needles.
the other stuff's quite standard, but is also often based on the situation i'm in and how far i let my mind wanter into what might happen.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!