Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,724 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Tips on using VPN/Proxies' (easy way)

Last posted Feb 26, 2018 at 11:19PM EST. Added Feb 25, 2018 at 08:20PM EST
3 posts from 2 users

First, if you have no idea what I'm talking about go here

For anyone on here that likes to use KYM outside of their home online, you might run into some problems that I personally have. Connecting to public WiFi (like at a resturant,coffeeshop,library) can a lot of times restrict access to important sites. (KYM,Imgur,4chan,Reddit,-pr0nsites-ect).

If you ever run into this problem, I can provide a few easy solutions.

Browser Based VPN (web proxy)
Best site I have ever came across is Whoer.net

This is totally browser-based and no need to download a program at all. Keep in mind: that you need to turn of "scripts" for some functions to work if it causes issues with the web site.

Built-in Browser VPN
This one is fast, free, and requires no payments from the 2 years I've been using it.
Opera Developer Edition (pick the delevoper)
Opera browser is "Chrome based" so if you like Chrome you will feel comfortable using this browser. In the settings there is the option to use the built-in VPN. Also, Opera can use the Google Chrome Webstore to download additional extensions. Most important one so you can get any Chrome extension.

note- The reason this is my top recommendation is because of the speed of the servers used. Most VPN's have slower servers and your download/upload rate is reduced. Not saying it is the *best and if you know better (comment down below).

Web Extensions:
A ton of these available, I can't really recommend one for now cause I use Opera, and no need for an extension. Just browse around webstores and the FireFox Add-on market (if you prefer FireFox)

Stand Alone Downloadable Programs
My stance on these is that (same for web extensions) it's not needed with Opera.

Just giving some tips, and not shilling Opera (I have like 5 browsers I use for different purposes) but just wanted to share this information with KYM users.

*If you have any better ideas as far as speed/ease of use please feel free to share down below. Thanks

Last edited Feb 25, 2018 at 08:29PM EST

I remember the first VPN/proxy app I used years ago was Ultrasurf. At the time I didn't really know what it was, just that other kids in school had figured out how to create invisible folders and then run it within the folder. It got around the school firewall and each time the school figured out how to block it they updated and it worked again. Never really used it, but it was fun.

I don't have much use for any VPN anymore, but there are the occasional networks that block random websites. I picked up SurfEasy and TunnelBear a couple of years ago, but I only tested them a handful of times. It really wasn't worth the extra bloatware on my computer and shortly after installing them I started having network issues at school. Not completely sure if it was my computer's or school's problem, but I uninstalled any extra network adapters and what not and things got better. TunnelBear seems to be a good mainstream option now though. It's pretty much at the top of every list I can find and it gets major adverts.

cue Linus Tech Tips

Right now I have a VPN through my work, but that's really just for work stuff since I could hop on TOR just as easy. I don't even like TOR though. All these traffic re-routing options just don't suit me since it means a loss in precious speed. I'll take every kbps I can get thank you.

Last edited Feb 26, 2018 at 11:21PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!