Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Random thoughts thread

Last posted May 16, 2020 at 07:07AM EDT. Added Apr 23, 2020 at 01:15AM EDT
24 posts from 15 users

Mine for today:

I feel sorry for Kpop fans who genuinely enjoy the music but avoid being an annoying "stan." I've kinda taken to separating "Kpop fans" and "Kpop stans" as two different groups, with the former being people who just enjoy the music and talk about their love of the genre with other fans, and the latter being people who take their love of Kpop to obnoxious levels where they feel like they have to spam fancams and the like on every single trending topic on twitter, with some Kpop stans even creating clickbait trending feeds on Twitter for the sole purpose of spamming fancams (for example I recently saw "brendanurieisoverparty" trending and most everyone was pointing out there's no actual outrage towards Urie at the moment, it's just Kpop stans creating clickbait for their fancams).

Last edited Apr 23, 2020 at 01:16AM EDT

PatrickBateman96 wrote:

I was reading about the 1992 US presidential election and for no reason I suddenly thought about the fake name "Mike Rotch" and started laughing.

I don't know why but I nearly suffocated from laughing so hard at "Mike Rotch."

I believe you may have found something innately and almost inexplicably hilarious, does anyone else just find it incredibly humorous is it just us?

I just watched Curious George for the first time since it came out in 2006 and man it’s seriously underrated. The animation is great and it’s overall just a fun movie. It’s also interesting seeing Will Ferrell in a role that’s not a stereotype and/or completely over the top(that’s not an insult I really like Will Ferrell).

Kommando_Kaijin wrote:

I believe you may have found something innately and almost inexplicably hilarious, does anyone else just find it incredibly humorous is it just us?

It is, reminds me of the time I was looking at the records for track at school, and one of the records was by Mike Hawk

Kommando_Kaijin wrote:

I have a second cousin that likes to post twisted and inappropriate humor on his Facebook page, but since he can't use his real name due to his occupation, his page is under the name "Mike Rusty Balzich".

Kenetic Kups wrote:

It is, reminds me of the time I was looking at the records for track at school, and one of the records was by Mike Hawk

I went to high school with a guy named Michael Hunt. Needless to say he never went by Mike.

Really ironic how a lot of the same people who tell SJWs that they "should shut up and let devs express their creative freedom" when it comes to Japanese games featuring sexual fanservice for the sake of fanservice are also the same people who will bitch and moan over a Western game featuring non-sexualized characters. Like yeah they'll scream "ARTISTIC FREEDOM!" all they want when it's something that makes their dicks hard but the moment a woman in a game looks like an average person IRL they'll be going "FUCK YOU GAME DEVS AND YOUR POLITICS." Best examples in recent memory are Jill from the RE3 remake (and amusingly that IS a Japanese developed game) and Ellie in The Last of Us 2.

Also, dude High School of the Dead is right over there if you desperately want zombies and titties in the same thing.

Sometimes I wonder what ever happened to certain IP's that Midway once had before the massive buyout offered by Warner Bros. Whether if they remain in limbo or not, the possibilty that WB is sitting in names such as Mace: The Dark Age, War Gods, Bio Freaks, The Suffering, etc, is a big one.

I understand those aren't worth a penny considering their "peculiar reputations": either underrated or downright mediocre. They never made a major or lasting impact like their star behemoth Mortal Kombat but then again, Netherrealm keeps going with the same formula of either doing a Mortal Kombat game or an Injustice game every three-four years or so, why not diversify it? Hell, they could take their chances and make Shaolin Monks 2 Fire & Ice while they're at it. That way, the studio can approach a bigger catalogue and resurrect long dead titles and bring them forth to a new generation, but of course, mere wishful thinkings of my part. Anyway, that's my brain fart for today.

I know so many of you guys are against what you call "forced diversity", but you know what? I kinda defend it.

It's an opportunity to give marginalized and ignored communities a day in the limelight or more and teach Joe Average that they aren't freaks and more like your neighbor, and give those communities hope to go through the day. And in an age where the far right becomes louder and louder thanks to the internet, we need it now more than ever.

@Necromagenvion
The Suffering and its sequel, Ties that Bind, got re-releases on GOG not that long ago so hey maybe their Mortal Kombat clones could get a similar re-release treatment one day.

@this thread with a new one

I feel really sorry for cops who genuinely want to do a good job keeping average citizens safe and such, because bad cops who abuse their power by using excessive force and whatnot just seem to give cops as a whole a bad name. Like I just saw a video of a man who wasn't even resisting arrest and with hands behind his head get fucking jump kicked in the back by a cop for absolutely no reason, and when the cops realized they were being filmed by someone with a phone they tried to forcibly take the phone away from the onlooker (also this seems to be a common thing with other incidents of shitty cops who use excessive force and whatnot, the moment they realize they've been caught being filmed by an onlooker they try to abuse their power by trying to take the video evidence by force because they know damn well it's gonna get them rightfully in trouble with their departments). Not to mention there was that one asshole cop from a couple years back who had a fucking temper tantrum by actually trying to arrest a nurse who was following the law by not giving a blood sample of a suspect without a warrant, like dude fuck these assholes who abuse the badge solely for power trips or who think that because they're a cop that gives them the right to do whatever the hell they want, fuck the actual laws.

There was also an investigation done by the FBI that shows sadly there's a shockingly high percentage of police in certain parts of America who really did only join the force in order to have an "excuse" to engage in racist behavior. Assholes like these also only give a bad image to cops and there likely needs to be better background checks on the overall personality of individuals trying to join the force in order to make sure we don't have legit cases of "white cop plants drugs on black man in order to beat and arrest him because he's an actual racist asshole using his badge as an excuse to live out racist fantasies he'd likely be arrested for were he not a cop."

Last edited May 01, 2020 at 11:09PM EDT

I don’t know what in the hell happened to me, but I use to watch a lot of anime when I was younger. As a got older though, my interest in the medium waned once I took a peek at the fan base. Now I feel deep frustration on how don’t get how a anime about moe fan service girls is better than a mature story with well written characters. I mean, some of these shows are comedies but most Japanese humor is lost on me.

I managed to binged more western shows than I have most anime and this is extremely alarming to me.

Most of the time, if I find a anime interesting it’s from the 90s or early 2000s. I rarely see most 2010s anime that looks visually appealing.

Last edited May 06, 2020 at 12:36AM EDT

Kappapeachie wrote:

I don’t know what in the hell happened to me, but I use to watch a lot of anime when I was younger. As a got older though, my interest in the medium waned once I took a peek at the fan base. Now I feel deep frustration on how don’t get how a anime about moe fan service girls is better than a mature story with well written characters. I mean, some of these shows are comedies but most Japanese humor is lost on me.

I managed to binged more western shows than I have most anime and this is extremely alarming to me.

Most of the time, if I find a anime interesting it’s from the 90s or early 2000s. I rarely see most 2010s anime that looks visually appealing.

I kinda get what you mean because I do feel like anime from certain eras have a certain distinct look about them that you don't see with most modern anime. Granted visuals aren't everything as just like with music (you know the ol' "born in the wrong era" mindset that was famously made fun of by Joji when he was still playing Filthy Frank?) there have been plenty of stinkers in the past (the channel kenny lauderdale has taken a look at some of them like "Twinkle Nora"), and like bad or mediocre music, the crappy old anime just gets forgotten and people remember the classics like Urusei Yatsura, First of the North Star, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, and Paranoia Agent.

That does lead me into a somewhat related thought that I think I first heard Jim Sterling talk about a couple years back. Console gaming this past generation has taken a "one step forward and one step back" approach when it comes to player convenience. On one hand it is good that modern games and consoles can receive updates that fix things like game breaking bugs, while in the past if a bug of that type of discovered after release it would involve a huge recall and needing to mail out new copies to customers. On the other, mandatory game installs and giant patches have made one of the few conveniences console gaming had over PC gaming in the past obsolete. Namely it used to be that if you got a new console game would could pop it into the console and start playing immediately, but now that's not really the case for most modern consoles (the Switch is one of the only systems that doesn't have mandatory installs, though depending on the game you may still need to wait on large patches to download).

My favorite dreams are the ones where I can fly, gives me that exhilarating adrenaline rush that I don't get enough of.

A few nights ago I had a dream where I was running from a bad guy at the top of a castle in the mountainous valley and had to jump off the ledge to get away. After a few seconds in free fall, sprouted some bird wings and flew off. Was fun.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

I kinda get what you mean because I do feel like anime from certain eras have a certain distinct look about them that you don't see with most modern anime. Granted visuals aren't everything as just like with music (you know the ol' "born in the wrong era" mindset that was famously made fun of by Joji when he was still playing Filthy Frank?) there have been plenty of stinkers in the past (the channel kenny lauderdale has taken a look at some of them like "Twinkle Nora"), and like bad or mediocre music, the crappy old anime just gets forgotten and people remember the classics like Urusei Yatsura, First of the North Star, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, and Paranoia Agent.

That does lead me into a somewhat related thought that I think I first heard Jim Sterling talk about a couple years back. Console gaming this past generation has taken a "one step forward and one step back" approach when it comes to player convenience. On one hand it is good that modern games and consoles can receive updates that fix things like game breaking bugs, while in the past if a bug of that type of discovered after release it would involve a huge recall and needing to mail out new copies to customers. On the other, mandatory game installs and giant patches have made one of the few conveniences console gaming had over PC gaming in the past obsolete. Namely it used to be that if you got a new console game would could pop it into the console and start playing immediately, but now that's not really the case for most modern consoles (the Switch is one of the only systems that doesn't have mandatory installs, though depending on the game you may still need to wait on large patches to download).

I really love games during the ps2 and xbox era of gaming, it has that look that I like. Sucks most indies prefer to do simplistic pixel art in order to cater to nolgastic 30 year olds but i can respect that.

I'm really thankful there are like basic cooking and life tutorials online nowadays. I was a pickier eater when I was younger and didn't learn how to cook a lot of things. It's such a relief that I can just find a gif of someone explaining how to do basic stuff like that in seconds.

It kinda makes me wonder for the future though, and the parents' role in raising their child. I've always believed a stable set of parents is necessary for raising a child but with the growing presence of technology and some sci-fi movies like that "Mother" one on Netflix has me wondering if this is all emblematic of a potential future with the absence of parental nurturing. What would a generation of children raised solely by the cold lessons of technology versus parental tutelege look like? Would it be better? Is it already happening with the generations raised by the internet? Did it already happen with the generations raised by TV or radio? What about when VR/AR or other future technologies arise? How soon will one of our core concepts of family be eroded entirely by the information age?

That chicken was really good too, can't wait to eat the leftovers.

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

I'm really thankful there are like basic cooking and life tutorials online nowadays. I was a pickier eater when I was younger and didn't learn how to cook a lot of things. It's such a relief that I can just find a gif of someone explaining how to do basic stuff like that in seconds.

It kinda makes me wonder for the future though, and the parents' role in raising their child. I've always believed a stable set of parents is necessary for raising a child but with the growing presence of technology and some sci-fi movies like that "Mother" one on Netflix has me wondering if this is all emblematic of a potential future with the absence of parental nurturing. What would a generation of children raised solely by the cold lessons of technology versus parental tutelege look like? Would it be better? Is it already happening with the generations raised by the internet? Did it already happen with the generations raised by TV or radio? What about when VR/AR or other future technologies arise? How soon will one of our core concepts of family be eroded entirely by the information age?

That chicken was really good too, can't wait to eat the leftovers.

Have you read "Brave New World"? Well, what you're talking about is about 1/6th of the setting, and contributes to the people at large being emotionally dead inside.

I really despise what Bethesda did to the Fallout franchise at large, mostly in regards to how they completely disregarded the vision held by the original developers of both Fallout and Fallout 2. What I loathe specifically is them being dead set on keeping Fallout in the wasteland and time-locked in a 1950's mind set. Fallout was never about a 1950's apocalypse; it was about taking a 1950's futurist vision on the future, destroying it in the most violent and all encompassing way imaginable, and then exploring the aftermath, ie, the Fallout. The wasteland from day one was never intended to be a wasteland forever. Hell, Fallout 2 takes place 150 years after the apocalypse and most of the world by that point has rebuilt enough for the "wasteland" to be much more like a frontier with mutants.

The biggest tragedy is that we'll never witness the settings endgame, that being an all out war for the entire continental US between several nations that grew from smaller factions to see who would be the supreme ruler of the post-apocalypse.
For the record, those nations would have been:
The NCR, Ceasers Legion, the Midwest BOS, The Commonwealth (Institute), One other faction that never came to light, and an Enclave ran Texas.

Kappapeachie wrote:

I really love games during the ps2 and xbox era of gaming, it has that look that I like. Sucks most indies prefer to do simplistic pixel art in order to cater to nolgastic 30 year olds but i can respect that.

Purposely low poly models and low res textures are starting to become the new trend in the indie scene for retro throwbacks. This is especially common in the indie shooter scene where some games either run on a modern engine but make themselves look like a game from the 90s (DUSK was made on Unity but looks like it's running on the Quake 1 engine, and Amid Evil uses Unreal Engine 4 but looks like it could pass for an Unreal Engine 1 game, the devs even went the extra mile by making the weapons high quality sprites as opposed to 3D models and that's super impressive given the lighting on the sprites reacts realistically like they were 3D models), or outright use updated versions of older game engines (Ion Fury uses the eDuke source port version of the Build Engine that powered Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood, and WRATH uses the Dark Places source port version of the Quake 1 engine). At the moment this is more prevalent in the indie shooter scene but I'd like to see this with other genres like platformers (hell we have a user on this site who looks to be making a Crash Bandicoot styled game if this image is anything to go by).

Sugary Salt wrote:

Crazy how refrigerators just run, constantly, 24/7.

umm, they don't though. Not properly working ones at least. They should only turn on for a few minutes every hour or so and then shut off.

poochyena wrote:

umm, they don't though. Not properly working ones at least. They should only turn on for a few minutes every hour or so and then shut off.

Huh, I didn't know that. I wonder if I can catch it the moment it's "running".

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!