Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

The Verge's "How we built a $2000 custom gaming PC" video

Last posted Sep 18, 2018 at 11:55AM EDT. Added Sep 15, 2018 at 08:41PM EDT
13 posts from 8 users

The video has been making it rounds in the tech community for how ridiculously bad the video is. It has been compared to polygon's "Doom" gameplay video and called out by other tech youtubers

For just a quick list of some of the mistakes
listed tool that were "needed" but never actually used, non-grounded anti-static bracelet, installed ram wrong (single channel), install the PSU backwards (fan should face out the case), way too big of a PSU (650, or even 550 watts would have been fine), WAY too much thermal paste, motherboards really aren't as fragile as he implies.

^
Notice the missing screw on the CPU. bottom left

He bought ram with LEDs, so he must want to show the build off, right? But then to do zero cable management??

>Oh the video went unavailable

That is so beautiful.

LTT replied to them on twitter when the video launched asking to help them on a follow up. I'd love to see that happen

Kot wrote:

Maybe they'll assemble a PC right this time?

Don't hold your breath. If they get another YouTuber to help them with it it'll probably be fine, but unless that happens it's going to be another trainwreck.

I can't believe I miss the video. I just wait for the reupload. Looking at the PC rig pic Kot shared, it's appalling. Is it too hard to hire anyone who's experienced with PC building like Linus beforehand or refer to /r/buildapc for an advice and tips?

Last edited Sep 18, 2018 at 05:08AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!