Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

6. the dollar

Last posted Apr 10, 2020 at 09:16PM EDT. Added Apr 10, 2020 at 06:28PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

This is a highly ironic and surreal meme. I can't explain much of its substance or humor, but after some digging, I've been able to somewhat trace its origin and spread. The image above is the thumbnail of the YouTube video below, "top ten spongebob funny faces.wmv", uploaded by spinoking65 on September 3, 2011.

The video is a slideshow of screencaps from SpongeBob SquarePants made in Windows Movie Maker (judging by the "wmv" filename extension and the default Segoe Print font used in the captions) and set to Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. The "dollar" screencap comes from the episode "Wet Painters". As an out-of-context countdown entry paired with a number, this meme can be compared to #15. Burger King Foot Lettuce. It only has just over 16,000 views, but most of the comments are recent references to the meme.

A neighboring frame from the same shot was used in a "HORY SHET" image macro circa 2011.

Here is an HD screencap from the same shot, not exactly the frame seen in "6. the dollar", but close.

Before this really became a meme this year, I've found the "6. the dollar" image posted one other place. A virtually unknown Facebook page "Fred Fucking Flintstone" posted it on August 21, 2013, where it received no likes or comments.

Now for its descent into ironic memedom. On January 5, 2020, Instagram user dogie.official posted the "6. the dollar" image in a mock tweet made in Mematic with the nonsense upper caption "sigbeqboibe😭💀 wy hw nugq loko liwk rhhsi 😭😭" (roughly "spongebob why he look like this"). It currently has 269 likes.

This tweet macro would become the most widely spread form of the meme. The earliest recreation on Twitter with the same text was posted on January 19, 2020 by @iannwhitte (5 retweets, 13 likes). By March 4th, it had apparently gained such notoriety that Instagram user @peblot.negligence posted a drawing of "6. the dollar" in marker on a whiteboard in school, complete with dogie.official's caption (in "collab" with the user, as written on the board). It has 96 likes.

dogie.official and others continued posting SpongeBob screencaps with gibberish Twitter captions. This tweet on March 14 by @ohnoitmatt showcases 4 of them (below, the first being dogie.official's original), saying "these images are the funniest fucking thing does anyone have any more of them" (2.7k retweets, 11.4k likes). Others replied with more.

A subreddit, r/sigbeqboibe was created by u/dibblemygribble on March 11th with dogie.official's macro, but it only has 10 members and 2 other posts (both of which were in ohnoitmatt's tweet). On March 30th, another Redditor, u/Chapo_2975, posted the same "sigbeqboibe" macro to r/ihadastroke, where it has over 10,000 points.

While only a couple of these posts were even semi-viral, I've seen clear memetic interest in the "6. the dollar" image and subsequent gibberish macros in many different places. This probably doesn't need an entry, but I'm fine just documenting what I found here.

If dime-a-dozen TikTok "challenges" can get a page, a meme with this much research should be able to get its own page.

Plus, I honestly welcome the surreality of it. Makes me feel like I've stepped back into early YouTube.

Last edited Apr 10, 2020 at 08:23PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!