Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[General] Google is gonna spam balloons everywhere, and then the internet happens!

Last posted Jul 02, 2013 at 03:17AM EDT. Added Jun 16, 2013 at 08:30PM EDT
42 posts from 21 users

I sense rising tensions here, guys. Chill out before someone pops

But seriously lets actually discuss this topic. At first I thought this would cause serious complications for air travel, then I remembered that commercial aircraft only go as high as 11km – 14km into the sky so I guess it could work, provided that high altitude storm weather doesn't constantly ruin Googles networks.

But problems aside, all of this still kinda scares me. Google has so much money to burn that they can actually do what we always dreamed of doing as a kid: turn the world into a massive balloon party. Also if this turns into a success, how long before they take over the entire internet?

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I sense rising tensions here, guys. Chill out before someone pops

But seriously lets actually discuss this topic. At first I thought this would cause serious complications for air travel, then I remembered that commercial aircraft only go as high as 11km – 14km into the sky so I guess it could work, provided that high altitude storm weather doesn't constantly ruin Googles networks.

But problems aside, all of this still kinda scares me. Google has so much money to burn that they can actually do what we always dreamed of doing as a kid: turn the world into a massive balloon party. Also if this turns into a success, how long before they take over the entire internet?

I don't think I can take this thread seriously anymore. All your comments are making me lightheaded.

Le Bumpkin wrote:

I don't think I can take this thread seriously anymore. All your comments are making me lightheaded.

Don't worry, I'm certain these jokes will blow over soon enough.

I think this is a great idea on the face of it. I'm a bit curious as to who controls access and how. I remember hearing somebody mention on another thread that there was a group of people in Europe who were trying to make satellite Internet that was not under the jurisdiction of any government. If this is the sort of thing we're talking about here, it's great, but it's not clear to me what the specific nature of balloonet (yes, that is a cool name) is insofar as who may be controlling and/or monitoring access.

[Insert balloon pun here, I'm feeling lazy.]

Brucker wrote:

I think this is a great idea on the face of it. I'm a bit curious as to who controls access and how. I remember hearing somebody mention on another thread that there was a group of people in Europe who were trying to make satellite Internet that was not under the jurisdiction of any government. If this is the sort of thing we're talking about here, it's great, but it's not clear to me what the specific nature of balloonet (yes, that is a cool name) is insofar as who may be controlling and/or monitoring access.

[Insert balloon pun here, I'm feeling lazy.]

Sounds like you're all out of gas.

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

Pfblt. Don't let yourself get carried away, let's just be pumped for the next pun.

Honestly, I think this thread's getting a bit deflated. It'll only be a matter of time before it sinks back down to Earth.

Lodger (1979) wrote:

Honestly, I think this thread's getting a bit deflated. It'll only be a matter of time before it sinks back down to Earth.

So we best enjoy this heavenly bliss while we can. We must keep our heads above the clouds.

So anyway, to pump a little more serious discussion into this. I had this idea floating in my head. When this network goes up, do you think it would be completely controlled by Google? Or would parts of the network be sold to respective local telecom businesses?

Last edited Jun 24, 2013 at 02:00AM EDT

We better get in an upwards spiral again then, try to make some high quality puns, even though it's only a matter of time before the quality drops down.

These little things are going over my head now. We're caught in a downward spiral, so we might as well make this worth the flight.

I'm easily blown away by these puns.

Last edited Jun 24, 2013 at 03:00PM EDT

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

These little things are going over my head now. We're caught in a downward spiral, so we might as well make this worth the flight.

I'm easily blown away by these puns.

This thread has drifted so far from its original purpose that I doubt any thing could tie it down.

This thread is one more off-topic bump with a re-used unoriginal pun away from getting locked.

The feeling from locking a thread really makes you blow your load huh BSoD?

Sorry guys, I came to this thread expecting some real discussion, but instead I find this dumb ass thread overblown with stupid puns. Grow up guys! And if this post gets you butthurt, blow me!

@RM

I get a huge rise out of it. Locking threads make me float on air

Then again, I knew I couldn't really lock this thread. I'm just trying to prompt some actual discussion

@Dac

I came to this thread expecting some real discussion

I tried to raise discussion in between the puns but the topic kept drifting away. I apologize for my failure but you can see where KYM's priorities hover

@this thread

Actually we may have a proballoonblem. I noticed we can't seem to pop with the puns. It's like we've had a breach in the pun containment shield and the thread is entering an puncontrolled state of punclear meltdown. I'll pun down to the puntrol room to check the…

…Oh, this doesn't look good. And the needle is getting higher. The thread is punning straight towards critical mass! If we don't stop the puns, they will soon start flying out of control!

Last edited Jun 29, 2013 at 04:14AM EDT

@RM

I get a huge rise out of it. Locking threads make me float on air

Then again, I knew I couldn't really lock this thread. I'm just trying to prompt some actual discussion

@Dac

I came to this thread expecting some real discussion

I tried to raise discussion in between the puns but the topic kept drifting away. I apologize for my failure but you can see where KYM's priorities hover

@this thread

Actually we may have a proballoonblem. I noticed we can't seem to pop with the puns. It's like we've had a breach in the pun containment shield and the thread is entering an puncontrolled state of punclear meltdown. I'll pun down to the puntrol room to check the…

…Oh, this doesn't look good. And the needle is getting higher. The thread is punning straight towards critical mass! If we don't stop the puns, they will soon start flying out of control!

I find those news quite…
shocking

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!