Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Infinity War Thread (Yes, with spoilers included)

Last posted May 06, 2018 at 02:17PM EDT. Added Apr 27, 2018 at 04:44AM EDT
28 posts from 21 users

Avengers Infinity War came out and here we can just dump our thoughts of this amazing movie. Of course spoilers will be ahead so now that you read this, we can begin.

Thanos
Jesus Christ. Thanos. He was written in a way that you can somehow slightly sympathize with the guy. Yet he's just what the comics depict; a ruthless, powerful and maniac purple version of Rick Harrison.
Plot twists and surprises
The movie itself is just full of surprises that Marvel purposely never revealed; for example Loki's and Heimdall's death within the first 10 minutes, or Thanos actually killing Gamora over an infinity stone, the absolute madman!
Even Redskull's return was surprising as well as Nick Fury going out Samuel L Jackson style was terrifying and funny at the same time.
Writing
The movie was written in various subplots that at the end tie up together naturally. It gives some strange interactions that one would never thought to see, e.g; Dr. Strange meets Iron Man and Star lord. These interactions don't feel forced at all and some of them are even comical.
Character development is really not that necessary as we have known most of these characters for years. The only one who has a tremendous amount of said development is the main villain, Thanos. Some characters felt less OP as well, or they left much to be desired.
However the ending is one of the most shocking ones I've seen in a long time. You can't just simply delete half of the characters in such a horrendous way, yet it happened.
This movie was the most hyped since probably Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and it's just worth it so much.
For me, this movie upon my first viewing is an 8.5/10.
So leave your thoughts in this thread or stay away from it if you don't want to be spoiled. Let's have some fun exchanging ideas, huh?

(Reads Wikipedia Summary)
Wait, so all of the Guardians except Rocket die? Damn, GotG was really the only part of the MCU I kind of cared about.

Edit: Wait, why is this in video games?

Last edited Apr 27, 2018 at 01:22PM EDT

I'm still thinking about this movie a lot…like damn, I really can't wait to see what happens next.

As you mentioned, Thanos is a great villain. All these years of build-up have paid off. He kicks names and takes ass is a force to be reckoned with, as well as one of the villains in the MCU who has the most depth. And it was also great seeing all these characters come together, interacting and fighting together. That's my favorite thing about crossovers.

As for the other stuff I got thoughts on:

• Thor did mention this, but is it possible Loki is still alive? After all, he has faked his death plenty of times… I doubt it's possible but I have this inkling that he might still be alive.
  • When Thanos used the Reality Stone to "Tom and Jerry" Drax and Mantis, I won't lie that fucking terrified me. Getting sliced in half is one thing, but to be shred in pieces like that…
  • I hope Red Skull returns in Part 2 or whatever it will be. That was a pretty cool reveal, having him look like the Dementor from Harry Potter.
  • Speaking of which, I kinda expected Thanos to kill Gamora after Red Skull explained how he'll get the Soul Stone. Still, it was just shocking…
  • And a bonus note on the Soul Stone, I might be stretching but remember when people speculated how the locations of the stones spell Thanos? It may seem like the Soul Stone's location debunks that, but I think it can still work: either Hidden since Gamora knew where it was but can't say, or HYDRA since the Red Skull has been keeping it.
  • And to end off this Gamora talk, I feel like Star Lord is gonna get the same reactions Ichigo got in Darling in the Franxx episode 14. I might wanna justify his action here: in GotG 1, when he gets a hold of the Power Stone and Gamora yells "Take my hand," he saw his mother saying that to him. Then in GotG 2, after finding out Ego caused his mom's cancer, he proceeds to shoot him multiple times. Because of those two scenes, I knew he'd have that reaction to Thanos killing Gamora. And on top of that, Doctor Strange's handing the Time Stone to Thanos and saying "It's the only way" kinda implied that taking off the gauntlet would've still cause them to lose. Remember, he saw 14M+ outcomes and only ONE of those they win.
  • As for that ending, damn. As Black Knight mentioned, Thanos wins is probably what people only know about. That didn't make things less shocking/emotional though. The scenes of the characters fading away, even Peter Parker and Groot, both of them being ADOLESCENTS. Seriously, Thanos' finger snap gives Roy Mustang a run for his money…I think we all know that everyone is coming back in Part 2, but still I can't help but feel intimidated and curious as to how they'll do so.

Overall, really enjoyed this movie so much. I honestly don't know if I can watch the previous MCU movies in the same way again after this though…

Man it felt really bad how quick and casually they swept Hawkeye and Ant-Man under the rug with one mere line. Sure Hawkeye is a meme in it of himself and Ant-Man brings almost nothing to the table as well, but I still personally like them both. Hell, I'd have been ok with either of them being one of the people to turn to dust more than how they ended up discarding those two like that.

Personally the most shocking thing in the movie, simply due to how unexpected it was, was seeing Red Skull come out of nowhere. Like it's fine having him there, but talk about something out of left-field.

P.S Thanos did nothing wrong.

P.P.S Starlord did nothing wrong.

Last edited Apr 28, 2018 at 06:52AM EDT

Honestly when I saw Scarlet destroy Vision and the mind stone, I thought that it was a justifiable victory then my jaw hit the floor when I saw Thanos use the Time Stone to rewind said explosion to rip the stone out of Vision. Also anyone else notice for a split second after Thanos snapped his fingers and actually won, the infinity gauntlet looked rugged almost like the amount of energy the combined stones had was enough to damage the gauntlet.

Also I knew Thanos was gonna win and I thought at the end he’ll get the final infinity stone and he stands over Vision triumphantly with the gauntlet raised and the movie cuts to black then and there. I wasn’t expecting him to not only get the stones and enact his plan and kill off nearly everyone. Also Groot and Peters deaths were both really gut wrenching, especially Peters with the fact he was about to break down crying saying he didn’t want to die.

I found it a bit disappointing that it ended so abruptly, at least give use some epilogue or something more then Thanos just sitting on that bench dangit!

I hope that Disney kalms down a bit after this movie, i feel quite oversaturated.

Yeah, this movie both impressed, horrified and left me stunned with how far they went.

Like right off the fucking bat they killed off Loki and Heimdall, and from there they make Thanos into one of the most competent villains who can match if not beat the heroes. The scene where he lefts the illusions he has on Nowhere, later on, made me realise that the writers of this movie fucking remembered what he could do, and when he made Starlord's gun worthless… and still after the audience is so engrossed in the action that we all forgot when Vision died that Thanos had the time stone and just undid all that much to everyone's shock.

And I was horrified and gutted at how far they went to show how many, who was dying and how aware of it they were. The hardest that hit for me was Peter, it is so slow and horrible to watch him act like how you would expect a teen would to them slowly dying and trying to seek comfort.

Like even when I knew that Thanos would win, I was still invested in what happened and liked how they were willing to take what was happening seriously when it needed to be and were willing to be emotional about what was going to happen.

Although I have heard people say that it might be excessively depressing and overwhelming to which I say that it should be. Like what else would you expect from a villain who goal is to kill about 50% fucking universe' population and willing to do it?

For me personally, I consider it the current best Marvel movie so far.

Last edited Apr 28, 2018 at 03:41PM EDT

This is presenting an interesting case study in an age old question of what makes a good villain. Because people love Thanos in this movie, right up until he wins. We love seeing heroes challenged, but not seeing them fail to meet that challenge, and we're seeing the backlash beginning to form as people are now starting to really despise Thanos, and not in the "I hate him, he's such a good character" but in a "Fuck you and fuck everyone else who likes you" kind of way.

At least to me it's interesting. I believe this comes from the fact that it was such a one-sided victory. It will be interesting how public opinion continues to unfold as me move forward. Regardless of whether this damages the marvel brand or not, it will certainly go down as Marvels most memorable movie.

Piccata Titicaca wrote:

Aww I wanna see it to see people die.
How many movies do I have to watch?

While it helps get a more complete picture, there are only about 10 or so of the 18 movies that really matter to Infinity War's plot.

This is roughly the most important of the bunch from the perspective of Thanos being established and onward. Oh and don't worry about anything T.V related it doesn't at all.

Avengers
Captain America:The Winter Solider
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers:Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Spider-Man:Homecoming
Thor:Ragnarok
Black Panther

Everything else is not really necessary, or doesn't matter by the time of Infinity War.

Black Graphic T wrote:

This is presenting an interesting case study in an age old question of what makes a good villain. Because people love Thanos in this movie, right up until he wins. We love seeing heroes challenged, but not seeing them fail to meet that challenge, and we're seeing the backlash beginning to form as people are now starting to really despise Thanos, and not in the "I hate him, he's such a good character" but in a "Fuck you and fuck everyone else who likes you" kind of way.

At least to me it's interesting. I believe this comes from the fact that it was such a one-sided victory. It will be interesting how public opinion continues to unfold as me move forward. Regardless of whether this damages the marvel brand or not, it will certainly go down as Marvels most memorable movie.

Yeah, I am more on the "I like how he is complicated, but I do really want to see his ass beat after a good fight" side of it.

Thanos has kinda evoked a lot of reactions from me: awe, horror, sadness and rage.

And personally, I feel that the "fuck you and fuck everyone else who likes you" comes less from the one-sided victory and more from seeing what his actions would actually do to the characters we like. Most villains when you hear of the genocide they do, it doesn't impact people much until you are show it. And what way to really get the point across than have quite a lot of major characters that you like be victims of that genocide and the impact that it has on the other characters.

Rustic wrote:

Yeah, I am more on the "I like how he is complicated, but I do really want to see his ass beat after a good fight" side of it.

Thanos has kinda evoked a lot of reactions from me: awe, horror, sadness and rage.

And personally, I feel that the "fuck you and fuck everyone else who likes you" comes less from the one-sided victory and more from seeing what his actions would actually do to the characters we like. Most villains when you hear of the genocide they do, it doesn't impact people much until you are show it. And what way to really get the point across than have quite a lot of major characters that you like be victims of that genocide and the impact that it has on the other characters.

What amazes me personally, is that this is a lot like what those people who read the original comic book issues probably felt as well. Disney has actually recreated the original, visceral gut punch that comic books used to be able to deliver, before everyone could come back from the dead.

StoneColdKillerWhale wrote:

While it helps get a more complete picture, there are only about 10 or so of the 18 movies that really matter to Infinity War's plot.

This is roughly the most important of the bunch from the perspective of Thanos being established and onward. Oh and don't worry about anything T.V related it doesn't at all.

Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Black Panther

Everything else is not really necessary, or doesn't matter by the time of Infinity War.

Thor: The Dark World as well because of the Reality Stone, despite that it's the worst Marvel film.

I'll say all of Phase 1 is important, as it's all the origin stories of all the major characters in the movie (Except Thanos)

StoneColdKillerWhale wrote:

Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Black Panther

Oh wow. I've only seen 2 or 3 out of those.

Baron O Beefdip wrote:

Of all the last second characters to introduce who may have a smudge of a change of being useful, why the hell do they pick captain marvel's useless ass… Why not Sentry or something?

Because it's likely this version of Captain Marvel will be stupidly OP.

I quite enjoyed the movie, personally. I don't think it deserves anything more than a 7/10 from me, being an otherwise standard movie in the series, but I appreciate the movie's willingness to break the mold and remain unpredictable throughout. I know the characters they killed off are coming, there's no way they won't from a marketing perspective, but that final scene was legitimately haunting in execution.

I expected Thanos to be a really generic doomsday-level villain a-la Steppenwolf from Justice League, but I'm surprised that he ended up being one Marvel's best villains. He's a sympathetic psychopath with a real presence, and I can see why people call this "The Thanos Movie". Not sure what else they could do with his character in the next movie, but I'm interested to see where he, and the next movie, goes.

For once I'm actually interested in seeing the next Avengers movie, and that's an accomplishment on the movie's part. Not sure if I want to see any more superhero movies, but I'm at least curious about what happens next in this particular story.

…Coulson is going to come back at the end of the part two wearing Mercy's outfit, yielding the TAHITI machine, resurrecting everyone and yelling "HEROS NEVER DIE," while punching Thanos into a black hole.

That's how they all going to come back.

Also I teared up with Parker biting it. That was a kick in the feels. He was just a kid.

Piccata Titicaca wrote:

Aww I wanna see it to see people die.
How many movies do I have to watch?

Honestly if you're not a fan of atleast 2-3 of these movies you wont like this movie. There is zero character development because there doesn't need to be.

You might like the bad guy but most of the character stuff is based on you knowing and caring about these characters from the other films

Avoiding IW's spoilers is like playing a bullet hell game, y'know. But at last, I saw it.

I've been on this ride since the first Iron Man movie and I'm 100% guilty of having watched all of the MCU films since. So, the film did deliver punches to my gut as I expected and didn't at the same time.

The last minutes of the film succeeded in what other Marvel movies couldn't: they left me shaking. The kill count was insane; to begin with, there were some parts before all of that when I thought "shit, they are dead, aren't they?", but nope, I got bamboozled (I wasn't in the case of Loki: he wasn't going to get up after that choke). And then the disintegration part begun and I was nervous: I had no idea who could and couldn't go. Spiderman reaction of leaving as he grips onto Tony for as long as he could… that hits hard man.

Also, fucking Red Skull. I can't believe they brought him back.

And now, I don't know what anyone is gonna do next. I guess they're finally going to introduce Adam Warlock… or maybe never. Captain Marvel will probably show up, that's for sure. Death herself? Disney wouldn't be ok with the idea. I don't know, they surely could. What She is going to allow though is that everyone is going to be brought back nice and dandy for the second movie next year.

P.D. RIP Ebony Maw, my favorite dude of the Black Order… oh, excuse me, "Children of Thanos".

Necromagenvion wrote:

Avoiding IW's spoilers is like playing a bullet hell game, y'know. But at last, I saw it.

I've been on this ride since the first Iron Man movie and I'm 100% guilty of having watched all of the MCU films since. So, the film did deliver punches to my gut as I expected and didn't at the same time.

The last minutes of the film succeeded in what other Marvel movies couldn't: they left me shaking. The kill count was insane; to begin with, there were some parts before all of that when I thought "shit, they are dead, aren't they?", but nope, I got bamboozled (I wasn't in the case of Loki: he wasn't going to get up after that choke). And then the disintegration part begun and I was nervous: I had no idea who could and couldn't go. Spiderman reaction of leaving as he grips onto Tony for as long as he could… that hits hard man.

Also, fucking Red Skull. I can't believe they brought him back.

And now, I don't know what anyone is gonna do next. I guess they're finally going to introduce Adam Warlock… or maybe never. Captain Marvel will probably show up, that's for sure. Death herself? Disney wouldn't be ok with the idea. I don't know, they surely could. What She is going to allow though is that everyone is going to be brought back nice and dandy for the second movie next year.

P.D. RIP Ebony Maw, my favorite dude of the Black Order… oh, excuse me, "Children of Thanos".

Warlock was teased midway through the credits of GotG2, don't know if he'll actually be in the next Avengers since it was shown he was being made by the Sovereign to go after the Guardians.

Knightshade wrote:

Hey, can we talk about that Wakandan skirmish? That was one of the best CGI army fights I've seen, and all I could think of while watching is zerg rush.

Same, man. That was epic to see a full scale fight using Wakandan high tech gear.

Freelancer wrote:

(Reads Wikipedia Summary)
Wait, so all of the Guardians except Rocket die? Damn, GotG was really the only part of the MCU I kind of cared about.

Edit: Wait, why is this in video games?

Moving Images would be best, and Comics would be more suitable than Video Games.

I didn't see anyone say why it's here, so I'll move it back in case I missed the reasoning.

To contriboot, I've seen all of the MCU movies since Iron Man. Fortunately for me, I didn't really know that Thanos was going to win. It became more and more evident as the movie progressed. I figured that Dr. Strange would have to do some real heavy thinking and lifting after Thanos got the Soul Stone. And as soon as he had Time, I knew nothing mattered.

I saw Doctor Strange just recently, and I remembered the time lock Dr. Strange locked himself in. I knew that Thanos could just rewind time to go back to any point and get the Mind Stone.

But just like everyone else, after I realized Thanos was, more or less, unstoppable, it still hurt like a mother to see Spiderman die like that. The acting as your body painlessly but certainly ashes away was really good too. I could just imagine what it'd be like to not feel your legs and your arms, then the overwhelming sense of suffocation as your torso disintegrated and feeling the effect rise through your bust, neck, and then finally your mouth, nose, brain…eyes…

I'll also chime in that Thanos was obviously a villain but relatable. We all know resources are finite or at least slowly replenishing, and a cynic would also say that intelligent lifeforms desire freedom too much on the whole to keep itself from reproducing faster than those resources and support and keep itself from using resources in ways that are sustainable.

It makes you wonder if that really is the only way to prevent a slow death for everyone until a few thousand exist on each planet with almost no resources (perhaps at a point where those resources can't even replenish enough to support those that are left…with all of the wars and forced prejudices and discrimination that come with the "civil" ways of preserving what's left.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!