Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

First trailer for Detective Pikachu movie

Last posted Nov 18, 2018 at 04:34PM EST. Added Nov 12, 2018 at 12:07PM EST
15 posts from 13 users

Man those Pokemon are uncanny when done realistically.
Then again, having them cartoon style is just as jarring when put along with real humans. Though maybe a bit better.

At least most parts are funny and Ryan plays pretty alright as Pikachu.
Also, nice they're adding more Pokemon than just Gen 1 such as Emolga (Gen 5)
and Greninja (Gen 6)

Mr. Plankton wrote:

Man those Pokemon are uncanny when done realistically.
Then again, having them cartoon style is just as jarring when put along with real humans. Though maybe a bit better.

At least most parts are funny and Ryan plays pretty alright as Pikachu.
Also, nice they're adding more Pokemon than just Gen 1 such as Emolga (Gen 5)
and Greninja (Gen 6)

Honestly, outside of the already creepy Mr. Mime I think they did pretty good all things considered.

The Bulbasaurs in particular look great to me.

Ashki wrote:

Honestly, outside of the already creepy Mr. Mime I think they did pretty good all things considered.

The Bulbasaurs in particular look great to me.

Same goes for the Emolgas.

I feel as though the movie really needed a good first impression from the trailer, and the trailer looks great tbh. Some of the Pokemon do look strange but I think it'll be easy to get use to them. I'm not entirely sure how else they would do it anyway.

Plus it's being wrote by Nicole Perlman, who co-wrote Guardians of the Galaxy alongside James Gunn. That's extremely promising.

Necromagenvion wrote:

I wish I could say that I'm unnerved by the pokemon designs but, tell you the truth… I kinda want to see more.

Same.

I like it. Ever since The Lego Movie, I've been waiting for the next anomoly, the next bad idea that turns out brilliant. This might be it. Instead of being a glorified advertisement like all the other Pokemon movies, Detective Pikachu looks like someone put some creativity into the execution. Yeah, it is weird to have a live-action, American Pokemon film aimed largely at adults, but the self-awareness makes it work. It's self-parody from a franchise I never expected to take any risks. This might be the first Pokemon movie I actually watch. My only complaint is that the Pokemon are too fuzzy, but that's not a deal breaker.

Last edited Nov 14, 2018 at 11:48PM EST

Warner Bros. is taking submissions for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu Art
https://www.talenthouse.com/i/create-artwork-for-pokemon-detective-pikachu-and-warner-bros?ref=FB

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!