Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,267 total conversations in 494 threads

+ New Thread

What is the file size limit?

Last posted Oct 02, 2020 at 02:40PM EDT. Added Oct 01, 2020 at 08:16PM EDT
4 posts from 3 users

I want to upload an image that is really big, but I keep failing to upload and the site crashes? How big is the limit for images? Or the crashes may be caused by something else?

Also, sorry if this was said elsewhere, I'm in kind of a hurry.

Last edited Oct 01, 2020 at 08:23PM EDT

If you have any issues with file sizes in the future, I find opening them up with Paint and then saving them as JPEGs normally cuts the file size down by half.

Gifs can be very troubling due to the fact that 5mb is actually quite small for a gif, so you'll need to upload it onto Ezgif and have a play around with it to see if you can get it to fit without butchering the quality too badly.

You can also use this to turn video MP4's into gifs as well; but as a general rule of thumb, you are gonna want to try and keep it under 10 seconds or so; otherwise you have to start making big sacrifices in both the size and quality of the gif.

It is 5 MB, but it has more nuance than that.

Not only can the site's upload method barely handle it regardless of your upload speed, but also, this limit is checked 3 times. One for the gallery thumbnail, one for the image preview when you click it once, and again for the actual image you are uploading. And the problem with this is that image optimizations only get applied well for the latter. The other 2 often undo many optimizations on the image when attempting to upload. As a result, some GIFs optimized to be 5MB or lower still cannot be uploaded no matter what, usually when they are either too long or too big, as optimizations do not do enough for the 2 thumbnails.

So yes, on top of making sure you stay inside the meager 5 MB given, you also need to consider literal GIF size and lenght. If the original, unoptimized GIF was at around 15 MB and was a long/big one, no amount of optimization will let you upload it, at least from personal experience.

Last edited Oct 02, 2020 at 02:40PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!