Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,067 total conversations in 679 threads

+ New Thread

Anyone interested in talking seriously about fedora shaming?

Last posted Aug 13, 2014 at 09:39PM EDT. Added Aug 12, 2014 at 07:06AM EDT
9 posts from 7 users

Do you believe that fedora shaming, or any other caricature-based dismissal of one's opposition, is a useful, effective, and justified way of mocking and discouraging people who have clearly absurd and prejudiced opinions?
Or does it do more harm than good? Keep in mind that it is occasionally used to generalize and stereotype, and is sometimes utilized in lieu of an actual argument. What, in your opinion, has its overall effect on internet discourse been?

Should it be taken seriously? The whole thing is pretty much a joke.

Like all jokes, it can be taken to far though. When it consists of "lolathiests", then it's no more harmful than a jab that anyone with a sense of humor can brush off

When it consists of "haha look at this kid trying to be cool and trendy", then it's no different from People Of Walmart (actually fedoras are better than People Of Walmart) where you laugh at people who just look ridiculous. And I suppose you can look at that as just societies way of regulating standards.

But when it consists of "OMFG, A FEDORA! YOU MAKE ME SICK! I ASSUME YOU MUST BE OBESE AND UNSHAVEN!" that's when the joke expires and you are just being petty around people wearing fedoras

I'm referring specifically to fedora shaming in the context of internet arguments, i.e. when it's often not used jokingly.

I'm someone who gets into a lot of online fights and dramas on my own initiative. It's a time-sinkhole, but so is 99% of the internet, so it doesn't bother me. I've somehow managed to be respectful enough to avoid being caricatured, but I definitely have noticed that caricatures are becoming even more popular than usual when it comes to topics like religion. I'm worried that it might damage the internet's already-frail capacity for reasonable debate and discourse.

>at job
>customer comes in
>has fedora that does not match anything else in their outfit
>is carrying with them a MLP plushie about half their size
>has cowboy boots as well
>try not to laugh
>treat them normally and help them if they are looking for something.
>they leave with what they want and are a happy customer

the customer is a 10 year old girl.

Basically, people will make fun of other people for anything. Online, I don't think it's a big deal, provided that you can remain anonymous. Sure, it may sting a bit, but keep in mind that someone, somewhere will always hate you.

If you are trying to justify your arguments based on something other than the argument itself, that is inherently a logical fallacy. Sure, if someone has shown that they cannot see past their own biases to have a legitimate discussion, I am more likely to ignore them even when they do bring up valid points. I think everyone does this to some extent though.

Last edited Aug 12, 2014 at 10:04AM EDT

Yeah, I have the same problem often. This happens a lot on KYM too. I don't mind when it's a joke, but it seems like anytime I try to present any kind of religious debate at all in the comments of an article or an image (because we all know how accepting those are), all I get are downvotes no matter how polite I try to be and several replies consiting of "are you from /r/atheism", "euphoric, lol", and some kind of image about fedoras. At this point it's nearly become an acceptable form of bigotry flr some people. Some of these people don't even use it just flr atheists who debate about it like it was meant to be. I've actually said things in the comments akin to "I'm an atheist" and I get the fedora replies as well even though I pretty much just stated my beliefs. It's disgusting. In one instance it's used to dismiss arguments you don't want to hear with no effort at all, and in another it's just a strereotype people have of a group they keep perpetuating.

Person 1: I believe in god because A,B,C.
Person 2: I disagree because X, Y, Z
Person 3: tips fedora
Person 4: maximumtipping.gif
Person 5: Go back to le Ribbit
Person 6: tipping intesifies
Person 7: You're just an edgy teenager.
Person 8: Neckbeard autist fedorafag.
Person 9: Euphoria!

This happens way too often.

Well… uh…

Just to be clear, in real life I hate wearing hats, so I have no real reason to be insulted when people make fun of fedora wearers. The two people I watch that do so have the distinction of simply not giving a fuck. The first one you can guess. He brags about how awesome his trademark hat is (hell, it's even in his theme song), and he couldn't care less about anyone who would insult him for it. The other is the Amazing Atheist, who just began to wear one in his videos a couple months ago, with a generally accepted theory behind it that he got called a "fedora-wearing neckbeard" so many fucking times in the comments that he just decided to mess with those people's minds by willingly adopting that stereotype. Again, couldn't give two shits.
On the other hand, as an atheist, what Tchefuncte Bonaparte describes does happen, and it, along with the attitude it entails, does aggravate me to some degree. I mean seriously, some of the "fedora shaming" images on this site are like a cross between Comic Book Guy and a fucking minstrel show.

Last edited Aug 12, 2014 at 08:25PM EDT

@.9999

I died laughing when I first saw TAA wearing a fedora. He pretty much created the stereotype minus the fedora. It was all he needed to be complete. It's amazing. On Linkara, he's worn it since before it became infamous and it's one of his trademarks, so he shouldn't have to give it up. He likes the hat, so what? Also, I don't think he wears it as poorly as some other people do. He dresses up a bit, so it fits more.

@Bonaparte

That's exactly what happens! Thank you for capturing the essence of this BS in one post.

I really never seen much misuse of the fedora shaming joke, as it was first used simply to mock edgy social outcasts, like the people whom think rather arrogantly their own lifestyle was superior and that everyone else was either a idiot or a delusional fool. This went after mostly 'friend zoned' folk.

However, there are some things I wish to point out.

I think the fall of the word can be best summed up by how 4chan uses the word Cancer, a form of comical cancer infects the entire joke till it dies a slow death because of misuse and being adopted by not the most intelligent of people, like how rage faces were adopted by idiotic assholes whom made the joke a joke in itself, thus killing it. This is probably the same thing that is happening with Fedora shaming, where a bunch of young idiots whom can't perform a simple sentence might abuse the phrases and wording to what you folks might be seeing. It is just as likely the stereotype might get so destroyed and so corrupted, I wouldn't be surprised if this entire thing was turned around to be pointed at religious folk or better yet for irony sakes at people with multiple girlfriends, or just simply anyone in general.

I really however only ever see this joke used when countering some pretty piss poor trolls and other lollygaggers whom might spew from Youtube or Reddit from time to time. The kind of guys whom drudge their less then loving views of religion through every single small mention, or that person whom literally has to preach about the 'evils of religion' and other nonsense.

That is just my take on it, really.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!