Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Is the internet a breeding ground for some future mass shooters? Why or why not?

Last posted May 18, 2022 at 12:51PM EDT. Added May 15, 2022 at 11:43PM EDT
6 posts from 5 users

For those of you who didn't know, there was a mass shooting on May 14th at Buffalo, New York. 10 died so far, while 3 were injured and the shooter in his manifesto cited the "replacement theory".

What disturbed me and what I want to talk about, is that he was what could be best described as someone who is "terminally online". Active on 4chan, discord and who knows what else. It's possible someone here may have interacted with him, or someone like him at some point.

He's not the first guy who went from the internet to committing a mass shooting, he's not even the second. There's already El Paso, Christchurch and Poway. It seems to be a trend, why is that?

Last edited May 15, 2022 at 11:43PM EDT

No!! said it. I think it's inevitable with more information out there. Being exposed to bad influences is much easier than in the past. If you choose to isolate yourself from people irl, that only makes you more susceptible.

Last edited May 16, 2022 at 04:38AM EDT

xoxin wrote:

No!! said it. I think it's inevitable with more information out there. Being exposed to bad influences is much easier than in the past. If you choose to isolate yourself from people irl, that only makes you more susceptible.

Don't feel pressured to say yes. Just wanted to specify that!

That's a good point, there's always been bad influences. The shooter barely showed up for in person classes, there was already something going on IRL.

The effect of the web is served much the same by any facilitator of communication between indoctrinairre and indoctrinee, wbat makes the internet special is it's efficiency; being outdone in convenience only by school and prison systems, and only inadvertently on the latter's case.

Everything the internet is used for it accelerates, good and bad.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!