Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

An automatic tag to be added to all uploaded images that do not have tags added to them

Last posted Jan 25, 2016 at 12:50PM EST. Added Jan 22, 2016 at 07:59PM EST
6 posts from 5 users

So the IRC was brainstorming a bit and some of us came up with an idea that we think can be implemented.

We were thinking that perhaps a system, script or whatever (it's late so i can't think straight) could automatically tag all old, untagged images with a "tagme" tag or something similar.
It would make image moderation a hell of a lot easier, since scrapbookers can only be given access to images with no tags with 5 or more upvotes via the inbuilt admin area for users (and we know there's probably a lot of untagged images with less than 5 total upvotes), but with the new automatic tag added, it'll make image moderation as simple as searching for the automatic assign tag images and tagging them/deleting them.

Does this seem like a good idea? A bad idea? What's your take on this?

Last edited Jan 22, 2016 at 08:20PM EST

If the images were tagged with a tag that said 'tagme', the only issue would be coding the system to consider an image not tagged, even when 'tagme' is in the tags. Another possible issue would be people joking adding the tag 'tagme' to an image that has other tags in it and fooling the system into thinking a tagged image is untagged.

Last edited Jan 23, 2016 at 12:09AM EST

Having the system do that would be feasible and IMMENSELY help with tagging the images. It'd decrease times required to find untagged images, and get right to it. Other than any technical implications that only James could tell us about, I can't foresee any real issues with this.

If the images were tagged with a tag that said ‘tagme’, the only issue would be coding the system to consider an image not tagged, even when ‘tagme’ is in the tags. Another possible issue would be people joking adding the tag ‘tagme’ to an image that has other tags in it and fooling the system into thinking a tagged image is untagged.

It'd be a one time thing. It'd run through all the images from before tags were required, and automatically tag the ones that are untagged. Then it'd be done.

James can easily do these things to my understanding, so have that info for ya.

The admin area actually works fine imo, BUT not for untagged and untitled images. The areas both show only 1 image which won't disappear until it's tagged. If you have no idea for proper tags, you're gonna find yourself hitting a wall. There's no clear way to skip an image or have clearer oversight.

Unlike the NSFW page, as its rectangular 6×4 list per page gives much more oversight than searching by a tag on the site itself which is often a big mess due to all the difference sizes in images. And alongside the image you can easily hit the "edit" button without effort, changing anything.

Make the Admin Area Untagged section like NSFW in visuals, and it should work much easier.

Both ideas are ok imo, but I'm just presenting an alternative. An area designated to tagging untagged images is something I believe works out better in practice than a random tag.

If that's too much trouble, yeah man "tagme" fo sho.

Another possible issue would be people joking adding the tag ‘tagme’ to an image that has other tags in it and fooling the system into thinking a tagged image is untagged.

When looking at that as an issue, I'm more afraid of people adding just the "tagme" and calling it a day, leaving the tagging up to others as they're too lazy.

Although unlikely, tags can be abused, and an admin area can't.

Last edited Jan 23, 2016 at 11:05AM EST

So what do people believe would work better?

Pros of the tag:
- Able to filter by votes, comments, etc.
- Able to filter by entry type etc, anything that abides to the tag search rules.
- Endless scrollable list.
- Avoids the 5 uptoke restriction.

Pros of the admin area upgrade:
- Nice 6×4 list per page. Perfect oversight.
- Page listing allows for easy remembering where you left off, instead of having to scroll all the way back.
- Instant access to the edit page, instead of opening the image in a seperate tab and then hitting edit.
- Can't be abused.
- Has a 5 uptoke restriction to avoid being faced with an even bigger gauntlet.

I can try to push one through. The admin list is probably your best bet there as it doesnt make the admin area section moot.

Last edited Jan 25, 2016 at 12:33PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

So what do people believe would work better?

Pros of the tag:
- Able to filter by votes, comments, etc.
- Able to filter by entry type etc, anything that abides to the tag search rules.
- Endless scrollable list.
- Avoids the 5 uptoke restriction.

Pros of the admin area upgrade:
- Nice 6×4 list per page. Perfect oversight.
- Page listing allows for easy remembering where you left off, instead of having to scroll all the way back.
- Instant access to the edit page, instead of opening the image in a seperate tab and then hitting edit.
- Can't be abused.
- Has a 5 uptoke restriction to avoid being faced with an even bigger gauntlet.

I can try to push one through. The admin list is probably your best bet there as it doesnt make the admin area section moot.

I think the admin area idea would be best. It would be the easiest to use, and I think we should focus on the viewed and upvoted images first anyways. There's also the bonus of instant edit, which would be VERY helpful.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!