Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

List of banned users

Last posted Apr 17, 2016 at 11:02AM EDT. Added Apr 15, 2016 at 06:29PM EDT
29 posts from 21 users

I know it won't be of much use but you should have a list of banned users and what they were banned for. If they kept spamming then put it next to their name. If they kept causing issues then put it next to their name. You could also put a red X over the users profile pic. That's just my suggestion.

Well, us mods sorta do – there's an area where we can see all banned users since the area was implemented, along with their IPs. However, the vast majority of them is for spamming – advertising. It's actually sorta rare for a real user to get banned.

Why is this worth implementing, by the way? Where it shows, I presume, the real users who have been banned (and not their IP, as that's just asking for trouble), for all to see? Also, I like the profile pic thing. In the comments section you wouldn't know that they're banned unless you tried to access their profile, as of right now.

Last edited Apr 15, 2016 at 07:28PM EDT

It'd be nice to see it. That's the only real reason. This can be quickly solved by a mod posting the list in a thread and having it starred.

ProfessorRivers said:

Why is this worth implementing, by the way?

If I had to guess, part transparency (the mods have banned them because of X), part deterrent (no user is above the rules). Even 4chan has a publicly accessible ban log. I certainly wouldn't mind something similar for KYM, even if it would mostly be taken up by spammers.

xTSGx wrote:

ProfessorRivers said:

Why is this worth implementing, by the way?

If I had to guess, part transparency (the mods have banned them because of X), part deterrent (no user is above the rules). Even 4chan has a publicly accessible ban log. I certainly wouldn't mind something similar for KYM, even if it would mostly be taken up by spammers.

Almost all sites have a publicly accessible ban log, and I think KYM should have one too. The only problem is where do we put it? I think it could just be accessible through url, but that might make it hard to find. Maybe it could go under whatever the "Specials" tab is?

Dreamworks wrote:

Almost all sites have a publicly accessible ban log, and I think KYM should have one too. The only problem is where do we put it? I think it could just be accessible through url, but that might make it hard to find. Maybe it could go under whatever the "Specials" tab is?

Maybe it canbe placed on the near bottom of the site under the "About KYM" table or something.

The only problem is where do we put it?

If it's about just making the ban list public then leave it in the admin area. Why move it somewhere else? Once people gets their scrapbookers powers they should be also able to see it just like the rest of the area.

Making a new section for a ban list is stupid, even if the whole idea is to show "transparency". To which, by the way, I also think it's… dumb, but I don't really want to argue that point. We all know that internet bans are "srs business".

Anyways those are my two cents. I don't mind either way, it won't be as funny as SA's ban list but it could do the work.

You could also put a red X over the users profile pic.

Or change the profile pic to a red X or a "?" symbol. Code-wise, I thiiiiiiiiink it's far more easier to do that than putting a red X over the pic.

Last edited Apr 16, 2016 at 03:02AM EDT

It is serious to many. That's why mods put in serious consideration before banning anyone that isn't a spambot. You have an entire secret thread dedicated to it.

Mods currently show very little accountability to anyone but themselves. Even admins do not show oversight unless provoked. This is why transparency is necessary.

Captain Blubber wrote:

also include suspensions

Are warnings shown to mods? I don't know if they're necessary for transparency since they're more personal in nature but I'd be curious what mods have access to that list.

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

Are warnings shown to mods? I don't know if they're necessary for transparency since they're more personal in nature but I'd be curious what mods have access to that list.

Yeah, warnings, suspensions and bans all have their own tab. idk if we should include warnings since it seems a lot of people want to keep warnings personal, while suspensions and bans are displayed.

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

I kinda wouldn't want my warnings to be out for everyone to see it themselves. Personally I would rather have it be kept secret between the admins and the person.

Derptastic Derp Man wrote:

I kinda wouldn't want my warnings to be out for everyone to see it themselves. Personally I would rather have it be kept secret between the admins and the person.

What about having a number of warnings issued to the user be displayed instead?

Well, here's something to get us started, if that's okay:
•Liberal Genius
•Emperor Palpitoad
•Kiona Moeru Kaze
•Corpulent Brony
•CoolMemeBro

As a bonus, a list of users that it's best not to emulate:
•Pachirisu
•Karoler
•Epyc Wyn

I actually think this may be a good thing. The former list of people tend to have an impact on the community, like it or not, so their "lore" generally tends to get passed down anyway.
The latter list is probably a bad idea and we should showcase upstanding users who demonstrate how to be "a good user" rather than just making this worse with some of the more… rambunctious users.

Roy G. Biv wrote:

Well, here's something to get us started, if that's okay:
•Liberal Genius
•Emperor Palpitoad
•Kiona Moeru Kaze
•Corpulent Brony
•CoolMemeBro

As a bonus, a list of users that it's best not to emulate:
•Pachirisu
•Karoler
•Epyc Wyn

I actually think this may be a good thing. The former list of people tend to have an impact on the community, like it or not, so their "lore" generally tends to get passed down anyway.
The latter list is probably a bad idea and we should showcase upstanding users who demonstrate how to be "a good user" rather than just making this worse with some of the more… rambunctious users.

If you are referring to my past transgressions, I completely understand.

If you are referring to my current posts however, you have a Dwayne Johnson for a brain.
I hardly ever post on the site and when I do I post in Riff Raff. You know, the place where people can shitpost without penalty. I never even really went outside of Riff Raff when I was huge on shitposting.

Anyways, other than the users who weren't banned being listed as undesirables, I don't have a problem with showing banned users (as long as it doesn't start a circlejerk).

Last edited Apr 16, 2016 at 03:43PM EDT

elmo liberal sexy wrote:

If you are referring to my past transgressions, I completely understand.

If you are referring to my current posts however, you have a Dwayne Johnson for a brain.
I hardly ever post on the site and when I do I post in Riff Raff. You know, the place where people can shitpost without penalty. I never even really went outside of Riff Raff when I was huge on shitposting.

Anyways, other than the users who weren't banned being listed as undesirables, I don't have a problem with showing banned users (as long as it doesn't start a circlejerk).

Don't worry, I was talking about the past, and I feel bad bringing it up.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of that list (the list that wasn't of banned users) but I was worried someone else would bring it up eventually so I figured that there would be less chance of a flamewar if someone who wasn't the biggest fan of it brought it up.

Yes, I realize that line of thinking makes no sense, but it's hard for me to resist looking at things from just a single angle, even if there really is only one angle that makes sense.

I'm pretty sure we discussed this in IRC a while ago when we realized SomethingAwful's ban system was like, 8 times better than ours.

Hilarity aside, the idea that all users can see why other users were banned would be a nice touch, and it does allow people to actually be critical of moderators for doing their actual jobs instead of how hard they shitpost. I don't really see an issue with this level of transparency apart from the issue of actually implementing it.

Why would people want bans being public but not suspensions?

If the reason for a ban list is to deter, wouldn't a suspension list do the same?

Also, what exactly would be the point of a ban list? If it's not for spam, people are banned for breaking the rules. I don't really see why people need to be assured of that.

This whole thing doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Last edited Apr 17, 2016 at 01:12AM EDT

^ I think some people want to be able to see at a glance the reason for banning or suspending. For example, PatrickBateman recently appears to have been suspended and I've no idea why. Not that it's my business particularly, but if there's some mistake he made that I could potentially make myself, I'd like to avoid that.

Basically, this is some kind of KYM's hall of shame, isn't it?

I guess it could work. It could be good for examples of how not to act here.

ballstothewall wrote:

^ I think some people want to be able to see at a glance the reason for banning or suspending. For example, PatrickBateman recently appears to have been suspended and I've no idea why. Not that it's my business particularly, but if there's some mistake he made that I could potentially make myself, I'd like to avoid that.

But you see, the consensus in here is that suspensions won't be shown, only bans.

My opinion on the matter is that that's stupid. If we're going to show one to deter breaking of the rules we should show all.

Either that, or realize that you can only be banned for specific things and understand the lack of necessity of a ban-only list.

ballstothewall wrote:

He made an Epyc_Wyn bait thread

If you're arguing for it on the basis of transparency, it would be dumb not to include suspensions.
Would there even be a list if you didn't? It would be nothing but Koreans.

lisalombs wrote:

If you're arguing for it on the basis of transparency, it would be dumb not to include suspensions.
Would there even be a list if you didn't? It would be nothing but Koreans.

It was already stated that if the public ban list was created it would only include bans of actual users and not spam accounts.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!