Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Should there be an official catalogue of KnowYourMeme copypasta, since it is used like a meme?

Last posted Apr 24, 2016 at 06:52PM EDT. Added Apr 24, 2016 at 01:53PM EDT
10 posts from 6 users

I'm serious. We document memes, and I believe we thus have the responsibility of documenting ourselves better than anyone else. With that in mind, I recommend there be a catalogue/page/entry devoted to documenting every single copypasta on KnowYourMeme. Not a thread, since those get buried and can unrelated garbage posted on them, but a page or entry where all the famous copypasta on KnowYourMeme are documented. It would please users, and it would be legitimate documentation of an injoke on a meme site, which is precisely what we're devoted to documenting. Maybe make is a sub-category of the KnowYourMeme entry, because I do believe the copypasta on KYM is worthy of a minor bit of documentation, even if it is weird we're documenting ourselves.

Also maybe we should add some of the copypasta to the KnowYourMeme wiki or TVTropes page, if nothing else.

What do you guys think? Is this worthy of documentation or having an official site page? Would people benefit/be please by this overall? Please discuss.

(don't post copypasta below without also giving some discussion)

I can't help but feel what we document here, the memes, are widespread throughout the internet. It doesn't penetrate every site, but is at least known across several areas and has some mark of popularity.

KYM is a small site, the injokes here aren't exactly worthy of being recorded, because they're confined to here.

Hasn't this always been a "rule"? That the entries have to be considered widespread enough?

legitimate documentation of an injoke on a meme site, which is precisely what we’re devoted to documenting.

Yet those injokes lacks the spread to become a "meme" in the full sense.

Our stance on documenting KYM injokes hasn't changed much since this discussion.

You can make a page/entry but it will remain deadpooled, reasons already mentioned. Your idea is more suited for a forum thread rather than a page.

Last edited Apr 24, 2016 at 03:54PM EDT

Loli wrote:

legitimate documentation of an injoke on a meme site, which is precisely what we’re devoted to documenting.

Yet those injokes lacks the spread to become a "meme" in the full sense.

Our stance on documenting KYM injokes hasn't changed much since this discussion.

You can make a page/entry but it will remain deadpooled, reasons already mentioned. Your idea is more suited for a forum thread rather than a page.

If a joke on 4chan became popular on 4chan but was only popular on 4chan, would it still be considered a meme?

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

If a joke on 4chan became popular on 4chan but was only popular on 4chan, would it still be considered a meme?

4chan represents a much larger chunk of the internet than KYM.

Does it have spread outside the 4chan community? If yes, then it's memetic therefore it should be documented. If not, wait for it to gain some spread before making a page.

We had more unique users than them every month for the past 12 months.

And? Even if we have more traffic than 4chan that doesn't prove that KYM injokes have spread outside our community. At least not without making some research first.

Should one of our injoke become memetic and/or viral then yeah, make a page. If not, they will remain as injokes in a small community.

So here is my question, ¿can you prove that KYM injokes have enough spread, and are indeed memetic, like to merit a page?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!