Forums / Media / Video Games

38,592 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Guilty Pleasures: Vidya

Last posted Aug 25, 2014 at 05:41PM EDT. Added Aug 19, 2014 at 04:31PM EDT
23 posts from 18 users

What games or genres do you like that you are embarrassed about?

Also, if you are one of those people with the whole "don't be ashamed of what you like" philosophies, that's cool and all but that's not the point of the thread. And don't be a nostalgiafag, because that's simply not a guilty pleasure.

Enjoying games everyone else hates. A few examples are Shadow the Hedgehog (It's not that great but I don't think it's the game incarnate of Satan like some people feel), Metroid: Other M (The story is total ass but the game itself while not near as good as all the other games isn't that bad…), etc.

TripleA9000 wrote:

For all the shit that Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog got i liked and still do like those games

I played the hell out of Sonic Heroes. I might just be nostalgic, but I don't recall too much being bad.

There's a little game Rockstar made back in the early 2000's called State of Emergency. It can be not-totally-inaccurately described as "Anarchist Rioting: The Game." It's shallow, gameplay revolves around little more than wanton vandalism and murder for scorepoints, and it's great for a little blast of stress relief. Just turn on invincibility and infinite time codes, find a grenade launcher and chuck those puppies through windows!

I wouldn't say it's a classic, though. It's sort of the equivalent of a B-movie, dumb fun that you don't take too seriously. Hilariously, despite all the shit Rockstar was getting in the media at the time about Grand Theft Auto being the antichrist, I'd say State of Emergency was even more gratuitous with its violence. You get straight up rewarded for bashing windows in, setting off explosives in buildings, and you're only penalized for civilian casualties occasionally.

Halo Wars, while everyone shits on it for not being RTS enough or think that it's a cash in on Halo, I still love it. I wish they made another one, but there's no hope for that.

Postal²,it's a good game(7/10 good),but it has alot of content that is there for shock value(Pissing,using cats as silencers,ETC).But it's fun.Really fun.More fun to me then GTA.Especially if you have the AWP mod/newest version.Pouring gasoline and setting people on fire,taking out crowds of people with a machete,cutting of someone's leg and seeing them beg for mercy and killing mutliple people at once with a scythe will never get old for me.

Last edited Aug 20, 2014 at 03:22PM EDT

Some of the more gruesome cinematic kills in Skyrim, especially the beheadings. Recently I've been playing as an unarmed character and some of the neck breaking ones are hard to watch. (The NPC's head even stays at a weird angle as a ragdoll.) They're not pretty, but are so satisfying to watch.

Jurou: The Persona 5 MC wrote:

I really love Zelda Skyward Sword, but everyone on the internet thinks it's a steaming pile of dogshit in the Zelda franchise (Which it isn't so SHUT UP).

I don't know if it's just me that notices this, but the initial reaction to every Zelda game released after Ocarina of Time is the same. Majora's Mask? Shit because of the masks and the time mechanic and it being "weird". Now it's considered a classic for the same damn reasons. Wind Waker? Stupid kiddy graphics. Now? Classic. Twilight Princess? Try's too hard to be dark and edgy. Too easy. Now it's also a classic. Notice any trend here at all?

Also, I don't really see how everyone hates it. I've seen more of a mixed reception, but that's just me. Probably depends on who you talk to. I don't really feel guilty for playing it though. I love the hell out of it.

As someone who grew up on many of Rare's great games like Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie, I enjoyed most of what they had released after they were bought by Microsoft. I really enjoyed Viva Pinata and it's sequel, which I believe thos titles to be the best after their buyout. I did find Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts to be a bit annoying but did enjoy the music and vehicle building aspect, but I don't like the fact that it's a Banjo-Kazooie game. Grabbed by the Ghoulies is actually really fun and has a great Grant Kirkhope soundtrack along with it and puts me in mind of Zombies Ate My Neighbors, except as a beat-em-up. Kameo was a pretty enjoyable Zelda-like game with a few fun mechanics and as a launch title for the 360 it's still alright to play. The only games they released I'm iffy on are Conker: Live and Reloaded, which has amazing graphics for an original Xbox game but completely neutered gameplay compared to Bad Fur Day, and Perfect Dark Zero, which is a really mediocre game compared to what the original Perfect Dark offered. While on the subject of Rare games, I also didn't hate Star fox Adventures that much, up until I got stuck on Musclefoot's challenge of pressing A repeatedly against him in a really poorly implemented minigame, which i can't pass due to fatigue and bullshit AI.

Aliens Vs Predator 2010 got fairly average reviews but i played the living shit out of it, seriously playing team deathmatch as alien was fucking amazing.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly

It was the first game I got with my Nintendo Gamecube, and I was excited since I've only previously played a Spyro game on a demo disk my cousin had. I had asked for a PlayStation as a Christmas gift before, but my parents wanted to keep being a Nintendo family. When I played the game, I thought the glitches were only faults with the certain disk, and I didn't mind the long loading screens. I still like to play it for what it is, and I really admire Stewart Copland's soundtrack as it always has been.

I really love Zelda Skyward Sword, but everyone on the internet thinks it's a steaming pile of dogshit in the Zelda franchise (Which it isn't so SHUT UP).

Just a vocal minority. The game is still held in high regard, but people bitch about it because they don't take more than 5 minutes to get used to the control scheme, and because apparentely they seem to think empty, boring overworlds a la Twilight Princess are better than Skyward Sword's, because the SS overworld 'isn't connected'.

So that just has to do with people being idiots.

Digoxin wrote:

I loved playing in the Chao Garden when I played Sonic Adventure 2.

What's to be guilty of? That's about as close to therapy in video game form as you can get. It was the reason to keep re-re-re-re-re-replaying the game. You just fell in love with the little guys and wanted to take care of them. They were virtual pets done right. (Not the least of which for being kept paused until you re-entered the garden.) I'm genuinely amazed that Sega hasn't tried to bring them back. Hell, I'd buy a game that was just the Chao gardens!

I sometimes play Animal Crossing, but I feel like it's pretty much accepted by most gamers.
I'm guessing the most embarrassing game I've played recently was ROBLOX. Can't help but have a bit of a soft spot for that game; It was sorta like babies' first Gmod for me

MIMU wrote:

What's to be guilty of? That's about as close to therapy in video game form as you can get. It was the reason to keep re-re-re-re-re-replaying the game. You just fell in love with the little guys and wanted to take care of them. They were virtual pets done right. (Not the least of which for being kept paused until you re-entered the garden.) I'm genuinely amazed that Sega hasn't tried to bring them back. Hell, I'd buy a game that was just the Chao gardens!

Yup, but I was a bit ashamed to play it with others around, because it was "kiddie"; and that's the point of this thread.
And yeah, Sega needs to make a Chao game.

Slutty Sam wrote:

I don't know if it's just me that notices this, but the initial reaction to every Zelda game released after Ocarina of Time is the same. Majora's Mask? Shit because of the masks and the time mechanic and it being "weird". Now it's considered a classic for the same damn reasons. Wind Waker? Stupid kiddy graphics. Now? Classic. Twilight Princess? Try's too hard to be dark and edgy. Too easy. Now it's also a classic. Notice any trend here at all?

Also, I don't really see how everyone hates it. I've seen more of a mixed reception, but that's just me. Probably depends on who you talk to. I don't really feel guilty for playing it though. I love the hell out of it.

It's incredibly frustrating. You're not getting another OoT (which I think is incredibly overrated anyway). It's one of the worst parts about the LoZ fandom in which everyone thinks everything is supposed to be Ocarina of Time, but then when it is, it's considered "too similar" and they do something else, and it's not similar enough. That's not a fan of LoZ, it's a fanboy of OoT.
If you were a real fan, you would respect the game for what it is, not shit on it because it's different. Hopefully the new Open World game will shut both sides up, because it seems like a happy medium to me.

It's incredibly frustrating. You're not getting another OoT (which I think is incredibly overrated anyway). It's one of the worst parts about the LoZ fandom in which everyone thinks everything is supposed to be Ocarina of Time, but then when it is, it's considered "too similar" and they do something else, and it's not similar enough. That's not a fan of LoZ, it's a fanboy of OoT.
If you were a real fan, you would respect the game for what it is, not shit on it because it's different. Hopefully the new Open World game will shut both sides up, because it seems like a happy medium to me.

Yes! That's exactly it! I'm expecting it will, but with LoZ fans, they always find something to be mad about.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!