Forums / Media / Video Games

38,603 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Drama occurring within Sony internal studios as Sony shoots down Days Gone 2 in favor of... remaking Last of Us 1?!

Last posted Apr 12, 2021 at 01:05AM EDT. Added Apr 09, 2021 at 07:29PM EDT
7 posts from 7 users

Source

I get Days Gone wasn't exactly a critical darling but it still has its fans it could have become something greater with a sequel (plus it still sold well enough for Bend to propose a sequel in the first place). Also remaking Last of Us 1 for the PS5 doesn't sounds like it makes that much sense to me personally. At least with something like Switch ports and remasters of Wii U games you can justify it with the facts that the Switch can't play Wii U games (Switch uses carts instead of discs) and the Wii U was a flop, but the PS5 is compatible with PS4 discs, including the PS4 remaster of The Last of Us 1, and the PS4 certainly was not a flop of a console (I'm almost certain most PS4 owners also own a copy of LoU1). It reminds me more of how AlphaDream made the strange decision to remake Bowser's Inside Story for the 3DS instead of the Switch (a producer on the game confirmed it was AlphaDream's decision to make it on 3DS, Nintendo didn't force them to stick to older hardware), as you could play the DS original on the 3DS already and the remake didn't really add much.

The big thing I'm hearing people speculate on is that the shake up of leadership in Sony with Jim Ryan running the company is showing quite a few negative effects. It's reminding people a lot of when Don Mattrick was still heading things with the Xbox brand (he was one of the reasons why the Xbox One had a rocky start), though in this situation I don't see Sony hiring their answer to Phil Spencer to fix things later on.

I'm honestly getting a bit worried for first party Sony IPs. I still have faith in Insomniac and hope Santa Monica will deliver with God of War: Ragnarok, but it feels like at this point if Sony could they'd just turn Naughty Dog into their only studio.

Between this and Japan Studio losing a lot of its staff it seems Sony is definitely pivoting away from their previous method of production. Last of Us p2 was (mostly) a net positive for Sony in publicity, especially after The Game Awards. It feels like they want to push towards more games like that to help sell the hardware, as early console cycles have been bad for them. I don't know how to describe their mindset towards development other than being "very Californian", Bloomberg described it as "an obsession with blockbusters" which fits. It doesn't quite feel like other game companies which are more focused with games:

Xbox doesn't seem as concerned with console sales and more concerned with filling out their Game Pass. Hopefully they have enough infrastructure to support all those subsidiaries, which they should. Their own first-party games don't look too promising though imo.

Nintendo's doing the same-old, same-old really. Innovate a little bit, release a remaster. It's been doing great for them this console but I think the rumors of next-gen hardware on the horizon are potentially hurting sales. Don't quote me on that.

Its like and unspoken rule amongst the big three console manufacturers, you have one successful console generation then you screw it up with your next console and let the other two take the lead.

It happens everytime: the Wii going into the Wii U, the PS2 into the PS3, Xbox 360 into the Xbox One. I think its a pride thing, one company has a lead on the other two, gets overconfident, and starts making terrible business decisions.

Between this new focus on only making blockbuster games, closing their Japan based studios, and disabling their old storefront I can really see Sony taking a downturn this generation. Combine that with the news that Microsoft is looking to gain more of a foothold in Japan and might even look towards working with Kojima and that Nintendo is looking to make more new IPs.

Rejecting a sequel for a remaking another game? Well, I can only imagine what sort of drama could arise from this. I can already imagine some people being spergs and either screeching something like "REEEE CUCKMAN" or "CRY MORE INCELS *or whatever it'd be" over TLOU 1 getting a remake if TLOU 2 still has some gas left for this kind of thing with crappy fans and haters.

As for Days Gone, much as it would have its own niche, Sony rejecting it something I wouldn't be surprised what with whatever title there is getting them more money. Granted, I haven't really paid much attention to anything related to Sony beyond the TLOU 2 shitstorm that came and just enjoying the memes it got like the Abby chokes edits while rolling my eyes at people getting over the top in their love or hatred of the game to own the "cucks/chuds."

BravelyDefect wrote:

Its like and unspoken rule amongst the big three console manufacturers, you have one successful console generation then you screw it up with your next console and let the other two take the lead.

It happens everytime: the Wii going into the Wii U, the PS2 into the PS3, Xbox 360 into the Xbox One. I think its a pride thing, one company has a lead on the other two, gets overconfident, and starts making terrible business decisions.

Between this new focus on only making blockbuster games, closing their Japan based studios, and disabling their old storefront I can really see Sony taking a downturn this generation. Combine that with the news that Microsoft is looking to gain more of a foothold in Japan and might even look towards working with Kojima and that Nintendo is looking to make more new IPs.

True, but it does seem like Nintendo is now aware of that, as I recall hearing Shuntaro Furukawa say that “every year is now do or die,” or something like that.

I remember hearing this from Arlo:

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!