Forums / Media / Video Games

38,598 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Friday Night Funkin' Video Game Kickstarter Official

Last posted Apr 28, 2021 at 12:29AM EDT. Added Apr 18, 2021 at 09:45PM EDT
9 posts from 5 users

I am always very skeptical of kickstarters because they either a) do not happen b) end up with a far different or worse product or c) take so incredibly long it wasn't worth waiting. However, since they already have a proven product and I believe in the creativity of what they are doing I encourage you all to consider investing.

FNF Mods worth YouTubing: Whitty, Masses, Tricky, Hex, and Neo. Strongly recommend watching a full playthrough of weeks 1-6 of this game at bare minimum due to the music and art.

Last edited Apr 18, 2021 at 09:54PM EDT

>literally day 1
>400k has already been pledged
>went to the bathroom and came back to see more 1000$ being pledged

Call me skeptical, pessimistic, party pooper and even downvote me, but seeing those numbers makes me legit worried.

I am not here to say that FnF is a bad game, quite the contrary, it's a good game… but whenever you see high numbers on a kickstarter project, your expectations tend to get really high… like… REALLY high!

I even went to check and compare it to other successful kickstarter projects, and bloody hell: Skullgirls have got around 800k(?) with fans funding it, Shantae Half-Genie got 770k in kickstarter, Shovel Knight got 310k, Undertale got away with only 50k, Freedom Planet even less with 25k… and the list goes on.

All I wanna say is, I seriously hope people don't expect FnF. a good flash game, to be a masterpiece of rhythm games that cures cancer and makes you eternally young, because if that's the first kickstarter day, then goodness gracious, can't imagine what it's gonna be the total amount.

Last edited Apr 19, 2021 at 01:34AM EDT

False Ye Arte wrote:

>literally day 1
>400k has already been pledged
>went to the bathroom and came back to see more 1000$ being pledged

Call me skeptical, pessimistic, party pooper and even downvote me, but seeing those numbers makes me legit worried.

I am not here to say that FnF is a bad game, quite the contrary, it's a good game… but whenever you see high numbers on a kickstarter project, your expectations tend to get really high… like… REALLY high!

I even went to check and compare it to other successful kickstarter projects, and bloody hell: Skullgirls have got around 800k(?) with fans funding it, Shantae Half-Genie got 770k in kickstarter, Shovel Knight got 310k, Undertale got away with only 50k, Freedom Planet even less with 25k… and the list goes on.

All I wanna say is, I seriously hope people don't expect FnF. a good flash game, to be a masterpiece of rhythm games that cures cancer and makes you eternally young, because if that's the first kickstarter day, then goodness gracious, can't imagine what it's gonna be the total amount.

I expect this game will 100% just be more of the same, and I have zero overly high hopes about it just because they got a bunch of money -for that matter I have zero INTEREST in them being particularly fancy about it. I just want this same base game but with 20 more weeks, and as long as it's varied I don't care how 'fancy' or expensive it is.

This extra money will most likely be put into (if they don't spread it too thinly) a) merch/shipping b) paying 2 extra people's wages to do some additional work by adding fancier graphics or music and c) free DLC including 3-ish bonus weeks once the main game is finished.

I really hope they don't get involved too much with merch/shipping because that can seriously eat time and money to the point it sets the whole project back.

I also hope they don't get too caught up in how to use the extra money, and focus on making as much of the game on their own as possible before bringing anyone else in. Personally, I think an extra artist and an extra musician could be very good or bad, depending how smart they are about teaching those people what needs to be done and testing them before getting too invested.

Hope they're smart about this and don't fuck it up like the usual kickstarter darlings. These projects almost always end up disappointing when they get way more money then expected and/or make promises too large for them to handle. I can see they already added stretch goals up to 1.865 million so they anticipated it getting big. I hope that means they have some serious plans in place to handle this project. They'll also need to be careful of how much hype they generate, that shit almost always backfires hard.

That said I hope I'm wrong and everything goes as planned. I've seen too many of these projects get too large and fuck up.

Steven The Pirate wrote:

Hope they're smart about this and don't fuck it up like the usual kickstarter darlings. These projects almost always end up disappointing when they get way more money then expected and/or make promises too large for them to handle. I can see they already added stretch goals up to 1.865 million so they anticipated it getting big. I hope that means they have some serious plans in place to handle this project. They'll also need to be careful of how much hype they generate, that shit almost always backfires hard.

That said I hope I'm wrong and everything goes as planned. I've seen too many of these projects get too large and fuck up.

>they had stretch goals in place

oh fuck nevermind my skepticism just shot up

I honestly wish they would just accept the 60k and refund the rest. Why can't anyone ever just do it simple?

Edit: Their stretch goals:

"PLAYSTATION 1 PORT – $3,000,000
Which this stretch goal reached, we will port Friday Night Funkin to Playstation 1 and sell physical copies, even if it's at a loss. Because god damn, it'd just be too sick."

"FRIDAY NIGHT FUNKIN SAKUGA – $4,000,000
With this stretch goal reached, we will pay an anime studio to create a cel drawn anime week themed level with crazy sakuga shit. Hand drawn, full movie quality motion. It would be insane, just like it'd be insane if we actually reach this."

"PICO'S SCHOOL REMAKE + PICO'S SCHOOL 2 INSIDE FNF – $5,000,000
If we reach this stretch goal, we will remake Pico's School 1, and complete the unfinished Pico's School 2 INSIDE of Friday Night Funkin."

"

`FRIDAY NIGHT FUNKIN – NIGHTMARE A.U. ???
`` – $10,000,000
hfufihugshigtrk2534trihhureghuguhgrguheirugh??!?1/1/1!!!!!//?/?!!?!"
Last edited Apr 19, 2021 at 03:21AM EDT

Eris wrote:

Servers are down for now.

Friday Night Funkin' is back on NG.

Some differences I noticed playing this version:
- Loading Screen looks nice
- Spookeez nerfed again
- South buffed
- Lemon Demon song added to Week 2 (I never heard it in its entirety before, so it was a good first impression)
- They changed the ending sequence to Roses… after getting the original sequence down into my muscle memory, I'm not sure how I feel about this one yet…

Overall, now that I know what the FNF crew was up to this entire time, I can forgive them for the unusualy long wait between Week 6 and Week 7.

Last edited Apr 21, 2021 at 02:22AM EDT

@False Ye Arte

I'm hopeful the team will be smart with their decisions and not go to the level of overconfidence Keiji Inafune had when Mighty No. 9 was being Kickstarted (where he was hoping to also do an animated series and tried to Kickstart other projects before MN9 was even finished).

I will say this much at least, I'm a little surprised console ports aren't part of the stretch goals even though a mobile version is. Maybe they're not planning to do that until the full game is complete on PC and sales from the game on places like Steam can fund console ports? Just a theory.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!