Forums / Media / Video Games

38,604 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Sega is buying "Angry Birds" studio Rovio

Last posted May 21, 2023 at 03:40AM EDT. Added Apr 17, 2023 at 04:44PM EDT
4 posts from 3 users

Source

Apparently the reason is because Sega wants Rovio to act as their go-to studio for mobile games (similar to what Nintendo has going on with DENA, though Nintendo doesn't outright own DENA), but this timing is interesting given one could argue Rovio isn't quite the powerhouse they were when Angry Birds was by far the biggest game on mobile (and they even caused controversy recently when the OG Angry Birds, a $1 paid game with no microtransactions or intrusive ads, was delisted from Apple's App Store and the Google Play Store last month in order to try and drive all Angry Birds traffic to their free-to-play games that are full of microtransactions and ads).

The only thing I'd be concerned about in regards to this situation is I hope Sega doesn't take the route of "revive an old IP as a mobile exclusive f2p game" with whatever they have Rovio work on as I know damn well a lot of people would be pissed if the first new Jet Set Radio or Space Channel 5 game in years was a microtransaction filled mobile game.

No!! wrote:

I can already predict their next character:

Wonder if they will give this character its own game where it gets to use guns and weapons of mass destruction against the bad piggies.

Will it say DAMN alot?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!