Forums / Media / Video Games

38,647 total conversations in 2,704 threads

+ New Thread

Red Dead Redemption 1 coming to PS4 and Switch next week, but it's really just a port and not a remaster

Last posted Aug 10, 2023 at 04:49PM EDT. Added Aug 07, 2023 at 12:35PM EDT
10 posts from 9 users

Source

I guess what happened with GTA Trilogy: Definitive Edition scared Rockstar so much they decided "fuck it, just do a 1:1 port, we're not touching a damn thing." Notice Xbox isn't included in this announcement, and I think I know why. On Xbox you can just play the 2010 release of RDR1 via backwards compatibility, so Rockstar probably figured it ain't worth doing a "native" port. The studio handling the port is NOT Grove Street Games, the one that handled the infamous GTA Trilogy collection, but rather Double Eleven, a studio founded by former Rockstar devs who are mainly known for providing development assistance and ports (such as porting Little Big Planet to the Vita and bringing Rust to consoles).

Honestly dunno how I feel about this announcement because hey I imagine for people who only game on PlayStation or Nintendo this is awesome news, but for people who were hoping maybe it'd be a remaster with Red Dead Redemption 2's visuals will be disappointed. I'm personally most curious about the Switch version, it's a handheld that can handle ports of games from the Xbox 360 era no problem, but I believe there have still been occasions where what should have been an easy port still missed the mark by a wide margin.

I wasn't expecting a full on remake, just a touched up remaster, but this is both incredibly disappointing and bizarre news. A 1:1 port of an outdated game to already outdated consoles. Worse yet, PC players have been snubbed entirely once again.

There's a huge amount of people, from what I saw following the announcement, that never played the game. And many of those people played the second game, but never the original. A win for them, through and through.

Necromagenvion wrote:

There's a huge amount of people, from what I saw following the announcement, that never played the game. And many of those people played the second game, but never the original. A win for them, through and through.

One of those people is me

Unless I hear the port being sprunked like hell then I’ll probably give it a shot

The big thing I'm seeing following this announcement:

-People who are primarily Xbox players: boo, I wanted a native Series X remaster with 60FPS!

-People who are primarily PC players: boo, where the hell is our port?! I wanted it on my Steam Deck!

-People who are primarily PlayStation players: I have my PS3 copy but fuck it, at least I'll get 4K in this version…

-People who are primarily Nintendo players: Portable Red Dead, lets go!!! [smugly sticks tongue out at Steam Deck owners]

Basically most of the positivity are coming from Nintendo players who just like that they're finally seeing this game on a Nintendo platform (compare the like-to-dislike ratio on Rockstar's upload on the trailer vs the one on Nintendo's YouTube channel), it's people who only stick to non-Nintendo platforms who aren't happy.

Part of me wished that it was ported on PC so that we PC players can push it to the next limit. But I've heard the port's devs have an underwhelming resume… so I won't hold my breath, Guess I'll stick to Youtube playthroughs for now.

At least the xbox one backwards compatibility made some enhancements in game. You may was well get goty edition and play it on xbox one its less than 20$ for both undead nightmare and the base game. There is no real reason to get the new release, even considering the switches portability that game wont look as good.

How did they even manage to port the game anyway? The game's code is notorious for being a huge mess which is why it didn't get any other ports sooner.

Also if it comes to PC I hope it's not a bloated mess that takes over 100 GB.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!