Forums / Media / Video Games

38,815 total conversations in 2,719 threads

+ New Thread

Game Informer, one of the last print gaming magazines in the US, is shutting down after 33 years

Last posted Aug 05, 2024 at 02:40PM EDT. Added Aug 02, 2024 at 01:40PM EDT
6 posts from 6 users

Source

While I was never the biggest GI fan personally, the fact they were one of the last print gaming mags in the US was still quite notable. Now as of 2024 they're shutting down, which sucks to hear as damn now it really is a major end of an era. Gaming magazines are gone, demo discs are gone, G4 shut down twice (though unfortunately in both instances it was because of the channel shooting itself in the foot in some way), and E3's dead, so basically it feels like if you're either Gen X or a Millennial a lot of the stuff we used to get gaming news or previews from are just gone now. Now yes indeed it's extremely hard to beat the modern conveniences we have now with high speed internet and demos that can be downloaded, but I dunno dude some of us old farts just miss how "special" those things were back in the day.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Source

While I was never the biggest GI fan personally, the fact they were one of the last print gaming mags in the US was still quite notable. Now as of 2024 they're shutting down, which sucks to hear as damn now it really is a major end of an era. Gaming magazines are gone, demo discs are gone, G4 shut down twice (though unfortunately in both instances it was because of the channel shooting itself in the foot in some way), and E3's dead, so basically it feels like if you're either Gen X or a Millennial a lot of the stuff we used to get gaming news or previews from are just gone now. Now yes indeed it's extremely hard to beat the modern conveniences we have now with high speed internet and demos that can be downloaded, but I dunno dude some of us old farts just miss how "special" those things were back in the day.

I remember on occasion looking at PC gamer and Game Informer Magazines at my local library. I remember seeing a magazine mention Mario party 9 in it and Rayman origins. Never knew there was such a E3 or game magazines as a kid, I think the earliest I knew about developer directs and news was around the 3ds era and Wii u era. I do remember looking up cheats at gamesradar and gamefaqs online as a kid though, kind of surprised i never saw a website talk about gaming news. I assume that when we visited best buy or Game x-change and they had displays for new stuff and that's how we found out about new game releases.

I feel like I was more or less out of the loop as a kid in the 2000's. We didn't have that much extra expendable income outside of buying like 2 games a year, or renting one from Blockbuster every now and then.

Never had the opportunity to read one as a kid, because also poor folk growing up like Major_Failure above, so no strong feelings to see it go away. I use to think it was frivolous luxury to have that kind inside scoop in gaming, otherwise word of mouth from the schoolyard, tv ads, and perusing down the games aisle at blockbuster was my only source to see what's what.

I didn't have internet until 2005 and even then the idea of a magazine subscription was already quaint to me. From frivolous luxury to just frivolous waste, it's all readily available online for free. Surprised they hanged on for this long to be frank

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!