Forums / Media / Websites

2,569 total conversations in 244 threads

+ New Thread

Underrated youtubers

Last posted Aug 10, 2016 at 09:17AM EDT. Added Jul 21, 2016 at 07:13AM EDT
14 posts from 14 users

Noah Caldwell-Gervais

This guy's channel could use a lot more love. He carefully analyses video games, usually PC games and often entire franchises in the same video, in amazing depth. Take for example his retrospective on the System Shock and Bioshock series:

In just over an hour, he discusses the place of each game in the context of the series and in the history of gaming, and how one builds on another and represents the conventions of the time. At the same time, he explains what inspired each game design choice and how to contributed to the game's success or failure. All while using an eloquent vocabulary and satisfying vocal talent (though he does trip over his words sometimes). In short, it's a channel for people who take game design seriously and want to learn more.

Not to jump on the internet hate bandwagon, but I like Noah Gervais' channel for the same reason I often find the Game Theory channel disappointing. When you listen to MatPat describe his headcanon, it can be entertaining to listen to him go to such lengths to justify his nonsense, but it probably isn't going to enhance your enjoyment of whatever game he's talking about. After watching a video by Noah, on the other hand, you will have a much better understanding of where a game comes from, what makes it special from both a technical and artistic standpoint, and how it fits into the industry as a whole.

This entire thread is underrated! Get it back to the top pages now!

Also, here's yet another underrated YouTuber worth checking out.

I can describe appahend as the Indonesian Sargon of Akkad but mostly focuses on gaming related topics. You may not like his use of Rage Comics, but he's aware no one likes them. he can keep the memes anyway Overall, he's worth checking out.

Last edited Aug 09, 2016 at 08:27PM EDT

Continue?

They have 200k subs, but I never hear people talk about them. I find them much more entertaining than Game Grumps.

Preston Jacobs

If you're a Game of Thrones fan, check him out. His main focus is the books, including GRRM's other writing, and he gets pretty deep into theory, but he does episode reviews as well. Strikes a good balance between being serious and flippant, is somewhat critical of the later seasons but not in a obnoxious book-elitist way. Unlike some of the other GoT reviewers, you get the sense he genuinely loves the source material and is not cashing in on the show's popularity.

Mayes T

I hate to mention another GoT channel, but Mayes T deserves attention. Great History and Lore segments with voice acting that is sometimes hard to distinguish from the show's cast. A nice fix for offseason withdrawls.

Offical Mystery Science Theater 3000

Full episodes of MST3K, in HD and annotated references and jokes. Has hosted Turkey Day Marathons the past two years. Also has some behind the scenes stuff. Not a "YouTuber" but currently only has 74,000 subs. I don't think a lot of people know about it.

Last edited Aug 10, 2016 at 12:22AM EDT

Ahoy spent 5 fucking months making an hour long doucmentary about the Quake series and it's impact, with ambient soundtrack, gameplay, narration and artwork all made by himself.
And it has only 400,000 views
utube wat

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!