Forums / Media / Websites

2,569 total conversations in 244 threads

+ New Thread

Do You Think Know Your Meme Should Become An Independent Website?

Last posted Nov 24, 2016 at 01:33PM EST. Added Nov 16, 2016 at 03:52PM EST
11 posts from 8 users

If we have the financials, the team, and all the knowledge to pilot this ship by ourselves, will we be able to get that opportunity?

I'm not an expert in business. I imagine, though, if KYM had the money to be independent, it'd be for the better.

But I don't see it happening. KYM's ads are getting increasingly aggressive and invasive, which is not a sign of a website that's overflowing with cash. The overflow of news and politics implies that the meme niche, also, isn't strong enough to draw the required revenue, so they have to sort of "pad" the main content with other stuff so that they can stay afloat.

In an ideal world, I'd love for an independent KYM that focuses on memes. This isn't an ideal world though, so I don't think it'll happen.

Kitty Katswell Said:

Never Sadly

There's no such thing as "Impossible". We haven't break the limits yet.

It would be amazing if KYM becomes independent. It would be a huge milestone to make it happen if we can make ends meet.

If Ads are becoming a hassle, why not set up a Patreon or some sort? Although that I'm broke and still an undergrad, I still and always will try to support this site as I can.

Last edited Nov 16, 2016 at 11:40PM EST

I don't know the economics of the site, so I don't know. If it scrapes by and relies on Literally's other assets to occasionally bail it out (which the ads suggest is what's happening), then being independent would be a huge mistake.

On the other hand, KYM is the highest Alexa ranked site they own (~2000th, compared to Cheeseburger's ~2500th and eBaum's ~4200th), so who knows how much money the site makes.

Only way I could see a way out is if some generous and actually competent philanthropist bought us out we could never buy ourselves out. And honestly someone that generous and competent would be even less likely than kym somehow raising the funds on its own. I see us as stuck. I don't even see a way for us to be more popular since more and more in a way we're seen as an internet tumor.

I'm usually an optimist but kym's fate is pretty grim. ask notch or shrkeli to buy us

Last edited Nov 17, 2016 at 02:38AM EST
If it scrapes by and relies on Literally’s other assets to occasionally bail it out (which the ads suggest is what’s happening), then being independent would be a huge mistake.

I don't know who's in charge of these ads but please do not mention their names.

I'm not truly the master of economics, but you can't just build Rome in a day so long as you have the resources to prepare to make it happen. Perhaps if we have a team with the right amount of knowledge and a stable finance, it may happen. But again, it takes very long to make ends meet.

Last edited Nov 17, 2016 at 03:05AM EST

It shouldn't be that incredibly hard to become a viable self-sustaining website, especially if we can more effectively reduce the amount of data we send and receive on top of better catering towards people willing to work on entries (since that will keep people coming back to the site), but actually breaking away from Cheezburger's owners doesn't seem possible anymore.

it really depends on how the site improves. Apparently traffic to the site has been steady throughout its existence, so what we need are ways for the site to have less invasive ads, so that the userbase can finally have a reason to turn off adblock, and to wait for memes to become even bigger in presence than they are right now. Memes are pretty much mainstream at this point, and their popularity is only going to rise, and KYM needs to properly prepare itself to take advantage of the rising popularity, and maybe with enough funds it could buy itself out

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!