233,021 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Post overrated stuff

Last posted Sep 19, 2012 at 04:15PM EDT. Added Sep 01, 2012 at 06:16PM EDT
106 posts from 53 users

professorcheese wrote:

inb4 Homestuck

Ha.

No. Homestuck is not overrated. In fact, it's not really "rated" at all. The people who like it like it, and the people who don't either don't know about it or stay away from it like it's a chimpanzee infected with Ebola virus. This is because Homestucks tend to keep the comic to themselves and the people who already know about it, and tend not to spread it around, get other friends involved with it, and advertise their enjoyment outside of the internet and conventions.

Homestuck is not overrated, underrated, or rated much at all because it's much too much of a cult enjoyment, not enough people know about it to make any serious objective judgments about it, and its fans don't act like it's the greatest thing to happen in the history of entertainment, even if they believe so, which is behavior contrary to that of, let's say, bronies. Look at it this way: take a random idiot from 4chan, probably /co/, and show him something from each franchise (I use the term "franchise" loosely when referring to Homestuck, mostly because it's very cult and isn't based off of selling shit in the way that My Little Pony is). First, he is shown a picture of something recognizeable from Homestuck, let's say a picture of Karkat. Unless he himself is a Homestuck, he will most likely express a slight distaste, perhaps even a mild annoyance, at the sight of "one of those Homostuck troll things." However, if we show that same /co/mrade a picture of, shall we say, Rainbow Dash, he will erupt in a blast of hatred at the "stupid gay faggoty pony, fuck I am so sick of those fucking bronies they have their own board for a reason, we should just round them up and put them all in camps" and so on. Perhaps my example is rather extreme, but you get the picture.

My point is that Homestuck flies under the radar, while most other interests, especially My Little Pony, flies where everyone can see it, proud and free. Let's compare them with religions:
Homestuck does not actively seek new members. When someone asks what it is, a Homestuck will try to explain it the best they can, direct them to mspaintadventures.com, and let them decide for themselves what they want. In this metaphor, they will be Judaism, one of the only western religions that does not seek to actively convert new members, but will gladly take converts after they have gone through a rather rigorous education on the subject (reading through the whole fucking 5000+ page comic and trying to figure out what the hell it's all about) and if they get through it, they will be immensely satisfied.

Another example in this context would be Friendship is Magic, which we're going to compare to Mormonism. While initially persecuted for practices and beliefs considered very strange to most, (watching a little girl's cartoon/polygamy, thinking Jesus came to America) they eventually found sanctuary in their own little corners of the world (bronies found EqD, Ponychan, other sites/Mormons found their own state in Utah). Eventually, as perception became less harsh, they spread out, and found tolerance among regular people. Their influence is felt greatly nowadays, and most of us have had them come to our doorsteps, teaching their ways of (love and tolerance/accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour today?) Sometimes, they do manage to welcome some newcomers into their (herd/church), and while at first it seems nice, eventually you get into the weird stuff (clop/magic underwear). I may seem to be rambling here, but the point is that both Mormons and Bronies try very hard to gain new members, which is something Homestucks tend to avoid.

TL;DR: Homestuck isn't overrated because the first rule of the Homestuck fandom might as well be "Do not talk about Homestuck," as is the second rule. The third is something about how Hussie kills everyone you love eventually.

Wow, that was the longest post I've made in a while. I feel a little proud of myself.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 08:55AM EDT

Older Anime Shows.

Really, though they get tons of love, their pacing is usually snail paced compared to modern day anime.

Then again, some modern day anime does have the pacing problems of the older ones *cough*Bleach*cough*, and I find myself avoiding any anime with more than 30 or more episodes these days.

NottaWotta wrote:

Do I even need to explain why overrated is an understatement for this game? I mean theirs no store on earth that doesn't merchandise for this one dollar game that made millions in profit, and not only that their making a freaking Amusement park for this game that's just about using a slingshot to launch birds at pigs, The success of this game is the definition of overrated.

Also, as a throwback to the past, I'd say

Though Angry Birds is far worse

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

forgive me natsuruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Yeah, I'd certainly agree with modern Japanese culture.
I have nothing wrong with the culture, it's the weeaboos and super otakus that act like modern Japanese culture was handed down by the gods or something.

Legend of Zelda

Don't get me wrong, they're fun games, but I think a lot of people give them more credit than their due because of nostalgia. I remember Darksiders getting a lot of crap for being a LoZ-clone, despite personally thinking it had better gameplay in many senses. I think Darksiders had better combat, albeit easier puzzles and a more 'Heavy Metal' story. Prince of Persia is another similar game that I think does a lot of things better, particularly the acrobatic puzzles and things like that. PoP is a good example of having better puzzles, while Darksiders had better combat. I'm not trying to dis LoZ, I'm just saying that there are similar games which I, personally, think deserve just as much credit, if not more.

I mean, it's to the point that LoZ wins awards it vaguely fits in over games that truly deserve them for the sheer reason that it's LoZ.

Fridge wrote:

Ha.

No. Homestuck is not overrated. In fact, it's not really "rated" at all. The people who like it like it, and the people who don't either don't know about it or stay away from it like it's a chimpanzee infected with Ebola virus. This is because Homestucks tend to keep the comic to themselves and the people who already know about it, and tend not to spread it around, get other friends involved with it, and advertise their enjoyment outside of the internet and conventions.

Homestuck is not overrated, underrated, or rated much at all because it's much too much of a cult enjoyment, not enough people know about it to make any serious objective judgments about it, and its fans don't act like it's the greatest thing to happen in the history of entertainment, even if they believe so, which is behavior contrary to that of, let's say, bronies. Look at it this way: take a random idiot from 4chan, probably /co/, and show him something from each franchise (I use the term "franchise" loosely when referring to Homestuck, mostly because it's very cult and isn't based off of selling shit in the way that My Little Pony is). First, he is shown a picture of something recognizeable from Homestuck, let's say a picture of Karkat. Unless he himself is a Homestuck, he will most likely express a slight distaste, perhaps even a mild annoyance, at the sight of "one of those Homostuck troll things." However, if we show that same /co/mrade a picture of, shall we say, Rainbow Dash, he will erupt in a blast of hatred at the "stupid gay faggoty pony, fuck I am so sick of those fucking bronies they have their own board for a reason, we should just round them up and put them all in camps" and so on. Perhaps my example is rather extreme, but you get the picture.

My point is that Homestuck flies under the radar, while most other interests, especially My Little Pony, flies where everyone can see it, proud and free. Let's compare them with religions:
Homestuck does not actively seek new members. When someone asks what it is, a Homestuck will try to explain it the best they can, direct them to mspaintadventures.com, and let them decide for themselves what they want. In this metaphor, they will be Judaism, one of the only western religions that does not seek to actively convert new members, but will gladly take converts after they have gone through a rather rigorous education on the subject (reading through the whole fucking 5000+ page comic and trying to figure out what the hell it's all about) and if they get through it, they will be immensely satisfied.

Another example in this context would be Friendship is Magic, which we're going to compare to Mormonism. While initially persecuted for practices and beliefs considered very strange to most, (watching a little girl's cartoon/polygamy, thinking Jesus came to America) they eventually found sanctuary in their own little corners of the world (bronies found EqD, Ponychan, other sites/Mormons found their own state in Utah). Eventually, as perception became less harsh, they spread out, and found tolerance among regular people. Their influence is felt greatly nowadays, and most of us have had them come to our doorsteps, teaching their ways of (love and tolerance/accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour today?) Sometimes, they do manage to welcome some newcomers into their (herd/church), and while at first it seems nice, eventually you get into the weird stuff (clop/magic underwear). I may seem to be rambling here, but the point is that both Mormons and Bronies try very hard to gain new members, which is something Homestucks tend to avoid.

TL;DR: Homestuck isn't overrated because the first rule of the Homestuck fandom might as well be "Do not talk about Homestuck," as is the second rule. The third is something about how Hussie kills everyone you love eventually.

Wow, that was the longest post I've made in a while. I feel a little proud of myself.

As good as a post it is, did you really need to compare fandom behaviour to religions?

Rin Tezuka wrote:

As good as a post it is, did you really need to compare fandom behaviour to religions?

Seeing how he defends Homestuck the moment someone doesn't even claim it overrated but implies it might happen in the future, I believe he's a prime example of how those two can actually be compared, regardless of how unnecessary it might be. Seeing your fandom as a cult that is special and unique compared to everything else, I call that overrated.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 01:11PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

Ha.

Mmm….I wouldn't say that I just HATE Homestuck, but I'm inclined to disagree here.

Let me first say that I'm far, far outside the fandom. So I'm not too familiar with all of the comic. But I think this is a matter of scale. MLP's fanbase seems older and, obviously, larger, so they have had more exposure to the rest of the internet. Therefore, the hate is stronger, because the haters get more and more angered the more they see it. If the size of the fanbases were switched, I think you'd see much the same reaction to Homestuck.

Also, I may be an outlier here, but I've been solicited Homestuck far more than MLP. I think I might have had someone tell me to watch MLP maybe once, and I've been told to read Homestuck several times.

I tried it, and didn't like it. Frankly, I found it boring. And I know it's supposed to get better later, but I personally don't want to wade through the intro stuff to get to that point.

Kipp wrote:

I liked it better when it was just small and not very well known. Which is another reason why the internet should never go out into the real world. Too many idiots. Too mant things could go wrong. shudder

@FridgeLogic

It may or may not be underrated, overrated, and such, but people still hate it. Even people that haven't read it do. They take in what they've seen from ones who do read it. The entire fandom is usually what people hate. The fact that it is so large and there are so many fans who take things too far. Like how people say the Cosplays ruin conventions, all of the shipping wars, and how people relate Homestuck to just about everything. When in fact we know it is not. It's just a webcomic that some people happen to like.

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

Mmm….I wouldn't say that I just HATE Homestuck, but I'm inclined to disagree here.

Let me first say that I'm far, far outside the fandom. So I'm not too familiar with all of the comic. But I think this is a matter of scale. MLP's fanbase seems older and, obviously, larger, so they have had more exposure to the rest of the internet. Therefore, the hate is stronger, because the haters get more and more angered the more they see it. If the size of the fanbases were switched, I think you'd see much the same reaction to Homestuck.

Also, I may be an outlier here, but I've been solicited Homestuck far more than MLP. I think I might have had someone tell me to watch MLP maybe once, and I've been told to read Homestuck several times.

I tried it, and didn't like it. Frankly, I found it boring. And I know it's supposed to get better later, but I personally don't want to wade through the intro stuff to get to that point.

Actually, Homestuck is older than Friendship is Magic.

Le Bumpkin wrote:

I liked it better when it was just small and not very well known. Which is another reason why the internet should never go out into the real world. Too many idiots. Too mant things could go wrong. shudder

There are four reasons why I don't use reddit.

1: They couldn't have made the website harder to use if they tryed.
2: You can't post frequently.
3: Reddit copies crap from websites as much us 9gag does, and they still complain.
4: Most of the users there a a bunch of whiners.

Otherwise, I'd love reddit.

But the fandom isn't right? I mean, it's always gonna have fans, but they just picked up traction not THAT long ago, right?

The Homestuck fandumb has also been around longer.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Has Halo actually been posted honestly yet?

If so, I'll gtfo.

If not…

Well, what can I say? I guess it appeals well to brainless masses that just want to shoot things. Myself, I prefer a more… refined experience. Something that feels less like a simple blast fest and more like a real front line engagement.

Something like Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, for instance.

But I'll stop here to avoid offending anyone's sensibilities.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

If so, I'll gtfo.

If not…

Well, what can I say? I guess it appeals well to brainless masses that just want to shoot things. Myself, I prefer a more… refined experience. Something that feels less like a simple blast fest and more like a real front line engagement.

This seems so Hypocritical.

Kipp wrote:

This seems so Hypocritical.

It seems that way unless you're familiar with the subtle distinctions between specific shooters. I could tell apart a hardcore tactical shooter from the likes of Halo in an instant.

Halo is just a simple lead fest with no real challenge to it. Well, unless you're facing the Flood, but that's something else entirely. I just don't care for that kind of game where you can just hold down the trigger while running and be effective.

I prefer to have to think before I shoot.

Indie Games.

Some are above average. (Cave Story, Bastion, Super Crate Box, to name a few.)
But most of the time they're just cheap games that explore "out-of-the-box" concepts.
Look at this:

Now try and tell me you didn't just hear an indie game concept. "What if all the air in the world turned into wood?"
Most of them follow this sort of thing. A few good ones don't. (See above.) And a lot of the ones that do follow it just aren't fun to me.

Nikolaki8 wrote:

There are four reasons why I don't use reddit.

1: They couldn't have made the website harder to use if they tryed.
2: You can't post frequently.
3: Reddit copies crap from websites as much us 9gag does, and they still complain.
4: Most of the users there a a bunch of whiners.

Otherwise, I'd love reddit.

I personally kinda like Reddit, but I'd have to agree on a few points. It's good once you know how to use it, but it could do with a few changes. Mostly the fact that the karma system encourages reposts and discourages voicing controversial opinions.

And on a side note, the rage comics. shudder

The quoted post has been deleted.

I agree with all three of these.

I personally will never understand what made Activision decide to turn Call of Duty into a Michael Bay movie.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 09:16PM EDT

Ansem appears to have deleted the post I was quoting, making it look like I'm quoting a post below mine.

How bizarre.

forgive me natsuruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

It is Overrated in some peoples view (see Katie's post). Doesn't keep me from enjoying the good bits though.

It seems that way unless you're familiar with the subtle distinctions between specific shooters. I could tell apart a hardcore tactical shooter from the likes of Halo in an instant.

Halo is just a simple lead fest with no real challenge to it. Well, unless you're facing the Flood, but that's something else entirely. I just don't care for that kind of game where you can just hold down the trigger while running and be effective.

Half-Life exists for that.

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

Indie Games.

Some are above average. (Cave Story, Bastion, Super Crate Box, to name a few.)
But most of the time they're just cheap games that explore "out-of-the-box" concepts.
Look at this:

Now try and tell me you didn't just hear an indie game concept. "What if all the air in the world turned into wood?"
Most of them follow this sort of thing. A few good ones don't. (See above.) And a lot of the ones that do follow it just aren't fun to me.

Cave Story's overrated too, it's frustrating and tedious.

If so, I'll gtfo.

If not…

Too late. I already inb4'd

@Nair / Tanker

I just don’t care for that kind of game where you can just hold down the trigger while running and be effective.

I thought I would just add that there are some who would find the exact opposite true. I say games where you have to crawl along the ground, peer down rifle sights and shoot from over walls are much more overrated. There are so many of them and I find them all the same.

I find games where you have to keep constantly moving to be a far bigger challenge for me. Granted, Halo doesn't take any finesse in that regard (so slow) but I'm not talking about Halo anyway, I'm referring to titles like Quake and Unreal Tournament

In those games you don't need to think a whole lot before you shoot but you need to think fast. Those games test your reflexes. They test your multitasking skills. You don't just point and click; you gotta hop, skip, dodge, lead, predict, evade, track, follow then point and click.

In those games, getting inside the tank doesn't mean it's instant GG for your foes. Instead it's just another tool to compliment a wide array of strategies you an use and like all strategies; there are counters that people can use against you. This forces you to outsmart and outmaneuver your competition, not just be the first to get the bigger gun.

They need to bring back games like that, they were so underrated

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 10:32PM EDT

Also, as overrated as Halo is, Halo: Combat Evolved has done far more for the industry than any Tom Clancy game.

I respect Halo for helping to define the online console FPS experience, and that's what's really great about Halo 1, is that it made a lasting contribution to gaming itself.

BSOD:

I’m referring to titles like Quake and Unreal Tournament

I can vouch for Quake here
I'm on a Quake kick recently
Shamblers you NEED to act fast to get rid of them
Fiends are constantly jumping around, and you need to have timed reflexes to kill them
If you think too much you get slain by a Death Knight
If you don't think you end up using a grenade on said Death Knight in a small corridor and blowing you and it up rather than the Super Nailgun.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 10:42PM EDT

I remember when Halo first came out on the original Xbox. It was widely heralded as the greatest thing ever.

Halo 1 didn't invent anything, but it did get the ball rolling on some things that are commonplace in FPS's today eg: Regenerating health, multiplayer-capable vehicles, fast grenade switch, limited weapon selection, plot twists. It popularized all those things.

Someone may have mentioned this, but I'm not sure.

This game is too much real life in that you have a considerable obligation to put way too much time into the game, you spend too much time sorting through shit and stuff, dealing with items and crap, and doing a bunch of stuff that's just plain annoying and tedious, kind of like a job.

WoW's just a virtual replacement for real life.

Also, I could say the same thing for a lot of other RPGs where you spend a lot of time doing tedious stuff and crap that just takes forever, or even non RPGs and stuff that do the same thing and claim to have "X hours of play time" If you're filling my time in the game by making me do dull shit that's not actually playing the game, then you're just wasting my fucking time.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

It is Overrated in some peoples view (see Katie's post). Doesn't keep me from enjoying the good bits though.

Isn't that how everything works? What are the kids calling it these days? "Hatah's gunna' hate?"

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I remember when Halo first came out on the original Xbox. It was widely heralded as the greatest thing ever.

Halo 1 didn't invent anything, but it did get the ball rolling on some things that are commonplace in FPS's today eg: Regenerating health, multiplayer-capable vehicles, fast grenade switch, limited weapon selection, plot twists. It popularized all those things.

And Call of Duty did absolutely nothing except add overpriced map packs.

That reminds me!

I know I'll be negged into oblivion for this, and, to be fair, there's a lot about the game that IS good, but I really found it to be tedious, confusing, and unrewarding.

Both of them were tedious, but HL2 was more tedious.

Well, HL1 was thrilling though, and sometimes felt like a survival horror game in some ways.

Well, last time we had one of these threads, I posted the same Japanese flag and got raped with negs, so I'm glad this community is able to take jokes now. Somewhat.

Anyways, memes as a whole are pretty overrated. Half of them are trash, half of them are Advice Dog spinoffs, and the other half don't compute (you know, cuz you can't have 3 halves).

Well, last time we had one of these threads, I posted the same Japanese flag and got raped with negs, so I'm glad this community is able to take jokes now. Somewhat.

Anyways, memes as a whole are pretty overrated. Half of them are trash, half of them are Advice Dog spinoffs, and the other half don't compute (you know, cuz you can't have 3 halves).

That's because we had about a million weeaboos and a million Touhou flags.

Also, who says that the trash half and Advice Dog half aren't the same half? I think they are. Advice Dog spinoffs and trash are generally mutually inclusive.

Also, here's one along the lines of movies.

It's good, but it's not really a true successor aside for the fact that it has Jeff Bridges.
One could say that this movie is too distant from the original Tron, which doesn't affect how good I think the movie is, but does affect how I see it in comparison to the original Tron movie.

By the way, there's a distinct lack of Tron in Tron 2, who instead ends up spending most of the time as the villain Rinzler. What a disappointment.

It was good and hilarious in the first three seasons but then after the movie came, the creator Stephen Hillenburg quit making the show entirely and gave this position to Paul Tibbitt. Stephen Hillenburg works as executive producer now and only reviews the scripts that his other employees made. The characters were quickly transformed into Stereotypical Morons. The writing become bad and cliché. They reuse ideas from old episodes, steal ideas from other shows, and use gross and too much stupid humor. The characters are too random and stupid now. Before SpongeBob and Patrick had some intelligence. Mr. Krabs was greedy but not overly greedy. They made Mr. Krabs far too greedy, Squidward a suicidal grump, Sandy a scientist who rarely shows, SpongeBob gay and terribly stupid, and Patrick the dumbest character on TV. The writers gave Plankton too much personality. Mr. Krabs is far more evil than Plankton. Plankton is an overused terrible villain and is not even that evil. The Splinter episode was horrible. It was a 30 minute time gross time waster with no plot. I used to be a fan of this show but not anymore. It has lived long past its prime and needs to end.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!