Forums / Discussion / General

232,989 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

How to stop a Brand New Member

Last posted Apr 02, 2014 at 08:17PM EDT. Added Apr 02, 2014 at 03:36PM EDT
10 posts from 7 users

There's an image used to use for these situations:

Limiting BNMs really has more problems than benefits. Besides, entry spam is easily cleaned up.

Last edited Apr 02, 2014 at 03:47PM EDT

I think 2 months is a little excessive. That said, I think we do need some sort of Faggot Prevention Program.

1) put some kind of time limit on there, maybe a week and a requirement for some posts or comments since people could just "age accounts" in batches.

2) Perhaps put a little multiple choice quiz before they submit their first entry. It seems corny, but it could be questions on submission rules and guidelines to make sure they they actually read the friggin rules.

Not to forget that putting any type of restrictions on them will really demotivate them to even start contributing, risking us to lose good content. Whether this be threads, media, or entries.

It's really much more beneficial for the site to allow them to upload and contribute right away. The ones that do cause problems are often easy fixes.

Last edited Apr 02, 2014 at 03:53PM EDT

Panda wrote:

I think 2 months is a little excessive. That said, I think we do need some sort of Faggot Prevention Program.

1) put some kind of time limit on there, maybe a week and a requirement for some posts or comments since people could just "age accounts" in batches.

2) Perhaps put a little multiple choice quiz before they submit their first entry. It seems corny, but it could be questions on submission rules and guidelines to make sure they they actually read the friggin rules.

How about a simple and relevant question about what does meme mean with choices? Like this:

What is the definition of meme?

• Funny pictures with text
  • Rage comics
  • Popular trends on the internet
  • Cats

No need to make it so complex. This technique may prevent some new meme submissions.
But cannot say we really need something like this at all. Spams or shit entries are not like more than we can chew..

Last edited Apr 02, 2014 at 04:45PM EDT

Twenty-One wrote:

There's an image used to use for these situations:

Limiting BNMs really has more problems than benefits. Besides, entry spam is easily cleaned up.

To recycle Kim Jong's argument here, I'll just tell you to look at the edit history and check out how much work the users in that image have done. Practically none! They may have made those entries, but it's not like making an entry is worthy of any praise. All the work was left to the rest of the editors. Making an article requires little to no effort, it's what you do with the article that counts. I am honestly indifferent to whether BNMs should have restrictions or not, but that image is not very valid as an argument since the people it indicates contributed practically nothing to the articles and just left a mess for better editors to clean up.

Slutty Sam wrote:

To recycle Kim Jong's argument here, I'll just tell you to look at the edit history and check out how much work the users in that image have done. Practically none! They may have made those entries, but it's not like making an entry is worthy of any praise. All the work was left to the rest of the editors. Making an article requires little to no effort, it's what you do with the article that counts. I am honestly indifferent to whether BNMs should have restrictions or not, but that image is not very valid as an argument since the people it indicates contributed practically nothing to the articles and just left a mess for better editors to clean up.

Bringing forward the idea into research is worthy of some praise as well. Did you or we think of the idea to make that entry? No, otherwise we probably would've made that entry by now.

Sure, we have to clean it up afterwards, but if they didn't drop along to make us aware of its existance we would possibly still be without those entries by now. And that's something we rather not have, right? Maybe the big memes covered in that image aren't the best example, but there are plenty of valid memes that get below our rader and would've remained there if it wasn't for BNMs. They have eyes where ours don't reach.

Last edited Apr 02, 2014 at 08:16PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Bringing forward the idea into research is worthy of some praise as well. Did you or we think of the idea to make that entry? No, otherwise we probably would've made that entry by now.

Sure, we have to clean it up afterwards, but if they didn't drop along to make us aware of its existance we would possibly still be without those entries by now. And that's something we rather not have, right? Maybe the big memes covered in that image aren't the best example, but there are plenty of valid memes that get below our rader and would've remained there if it wasn't for BNMs. They have eyes where ours don't reach.

True, which is why I don't really care if BNMs are allowed to make entries or not. Every once in a while there is a gem, even though it is ever so rare. One thing that is cool about KYM is how non-restricted the users feel. Taking the power to submit entries from BNMs would only increase overall restriction in a negative way. I'm just saying that the image presented by Random 21 and has been presented many times before isn't an argument in itself and shouldn't be taken as such.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!