Forums / Discussion / General

233,001 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Godzilla General

Last posted May 26, 2014 at 10:53PM EDT. Added May 19, 2014 at 07:32PM EDT
27 posts from 23 users

So, thoughts on the godzilla movie?
As I'm sure you all know, Godzilla raped the box office this weekend and they officially announced they are going ahead with the sequel.

About the film itself, the best thing I can say is that it was a true Godzilla movie…. And I loved it. It wasn't perfect, but it gets a solid 8/10 in my book.

Patrick wrote:

8/10 (meaning 10/10 compared to Biollante), hope there's a sequel and that the kaiju hype doesn't die any time soon<3

Already been announced. No suprised considering it made almost 200 million worldwide on the first weekend.

I convinced my dad to watch the original cut Gojira with me after weeks of begging on my end. He was sure that I'd find the film boring and lame given the campy reputation the series has (before you call him funny names, he and I both loved Pacific Rim, and he just thought that I'd be bored since the action in Gojira was nowhere near as elaborate). I was able to win him over by saying that I saw the film previously and liked it (though it was the Godzilla: King Of The Monsters cut, which while acceptable is not as good). We both really liked the movie, and he was particularly interested in how serious it was compared to the midnight movie stuff that aired on tv when he was a kid.

Oh, and I totally wept at the ending.

Last edited May 20, 2014 at 12:32AM EDT

It seems like all the critics hate it, because they apparently never watched the original Godzilla (I haven't either). They complain about Godzilla only showing up at the end, but Godzilla was only in his original movie for 17 minutes.

I also like how that one Japanese guy pretty much represented the audience, because the whole movie he was all like, I think we should let Godzilla fight.

Mandl Brought wrote:

The new Godzilla had TOO MUCH GODDAMN HUMAN.
But other than that, it was good fun. FIVE STARS. FOUR STARS. A PLUS. DANOUTTADAN.

I've got to say that I disagree with that.

I distinctly remember most godzilla movies having a ton of human scenes.

In fact I would go as far as to say that if my memories serve me correctly, godzilla movies were on average 60%-70% badly dubbed people talking and 30%-40% monster action.

^
Not on Canadian Netflix sadly. Seriously, Canada's version of Netflix has really poor selection compared to the US. Don't really know if this is the case with other countries, but I'd assume so.

Anyways, back on topic, I've been watching Godzilla movies since I was a kid. I've seen quite a few of the older movies either on TV or by renting them from Blockbusters(RIP). I have a lot of great memories of watching Godzilla kick the crap out of Gigan or King Ghidorah with my brother and cousins. I also got a couple of Godzilla figures for Christmas, which was really cool. I have one of Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, and the Final Wars version of Gigan. Also got some smaller figures of the more obscure monsters, like Destroyah and Manda.

Do any of you guys have a game that isn't really regarded as a classic but will always be special to you? For me, that game is Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters. Freaking awesome game, played the ever-living shit out of it on Gamecube with my brother and cousin. Looking back on it, it was a pretty goofy game (you could step on your opponents toes and lob entire buildings at their faces) but man was it fun.

So yeah, Godzilla was pretty much my childhood (or at least a really big part of it).

For the sequel, I'm hoping that they do go with the Monster Island idea they had in mind for a sequel. I also think it would be cool if Toho would allow them to use some other kaiju from their huge library. But, if I had to say what monsters I would like to see in the 2014 movie's style it would probably be a tie with King Ghidorah and Gigan, and maybe Anguirus teaming up with Godzilla to take them down. But that's just me and am down with whatever they're going to do as long as it was good as the new one.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!