Forums / Discussion / General

233,021 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
The Collapsing of KnowYourMeme, and What We Can Do to Stop It

Last posted Aug 11, 2014 at 07:24AM EDT. Added Aug 10, 2014 at 06:18PM EDT
31 posts from 17 users

Galleries getting locked, users attacking the moderators, and mods attacking them back. It has only been getting worse and it seems few want to resolve the situation, or know how to. Other threads and posts have tackled some of the issues but I'd like this topic to focus specifically on KYM's impending destruction and how these issues can possibly be resolved.

I might sound a bit extreme claiming the site will be no more, but you must consider the drastic effects all this hatred is having on our community.

Who says we should stop it? damn you muffin you ninja

But seriously, nothing is collapsing, and as you've said we already have several threads about resolving the issues in KYM. There's no need to panic.

Last edited Aug 10, 2014 at 06:23PM EDT

As for this so-called "collapsing", don't worry too much yet. The current solved issues, Childhood Ruined and Alternate Universe, were two of the biggest trouble galleries on the site. With them locked, the issue of abused galleries has lowered significantly.

We're trying to avoid locking galleries now as well, because closing all the popular galleries will only hurt our visitor number. We know a lock isn't the perfect solution, no worries there. The recent two locks will probably remain the only two for now because they were abused beyond fixing. But for example the lock of Alternate Universe can also result in users checking out the other galleries on the site where many of the Alternate Universe images should've been posted in.

As for the mods vs. users flaming, that's a natural consequence you get with these locks. Give it a few days to cool down.

Last edited Aug 10, 2014 at 07:26PM EDT

Snickerway wrote:

Who says we should stop it? damn you muffin you ninja

But seriously, nothing is collapsing, and as you've said we already have several threads about resolving the issues in KYM. There's no need to panic.

I feel melancholy rather than hysteria. Also, I want this thread to be a conglomerate of all the issues at hand.

RandomMan wrote:

As for this so-called "collapsing", don't worry too much yet. The current solved issues, Childhood Ruined and Alternate Universe, were two of the biggest trouble galleries on the site. With them locked, the issue of abused galleries has lowered significantly.

We're trying to avoid locking galleries now as well, because closing all the popular galleries will only hurt our visitor number. We know a lock isn't the perfect solution, no worries there. The recent two locks will probably remain the only two for now because they were abused beyond fixing. But for example the lock of Alternate Universe can also result in users checking out the other galleries on the site where many of the Alternate Universe images should've been posted in.

As for the mods vs. users flaming, that's a natural consequence you get with these locks. Give it a few days to cool down.

I'm worried that grudges may be held against one-another. I very well could be wrong, and I hope that is actually the case.

Capricornicus Genesis wrote:

I'm worried that grudges may be held against one-another. I very well could be wrong, and I hope that is actually the case.

remember the rules of the internet: 20. Nothing is to be taken seriously.
once you remember that it makes it so much easier to deal with people on the internet.

@Random

Last edited Aug 10, 2014 at 07:07PM EDT

Captain Blubber wrote:

Thread moved to general due to the fact it's friggin baloney

That is not true Blubber, like this hat:

this thread is a symbol of a constructive and serious debate.

Last edited Aug 10, 2014 at 10:02PM EDT

Know Your Meme is collapsing, but it really has nothing to do with the surface leveled shit you see here.

We no longer provide a show. We no longer provide original journalism or interviews. We no longer have clean communication with the Administration because they think we are a bunch of annoying crybabies and don't want to have to deal with us. We are also regularly mistreated as a Wiki because Cheezeburger classifies us as one rather than a Database. And on the topic of Cheezeburger I FEEL they also have the staff meet a minimum quota of x number of articles a week forcing them to create articles about events with minimal impact more in the vein of Bloggers than Internet Scientists.

So really, in the grand scheme of things, two galleries getting locked and infighting occurring is nothing compared to what is wrong at the core.

Last edited Aug 11, 2014 at 01:04AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Know Your Meme is collapsing, but it really has nothing to do with the surface leveled shit you see here.

We no longer provide a show. We no longer provide original journalism or interviews. We no longer have clean communication with the Administration because they think we are a bunch of annoying crybabies and don't want to have to deal with us. We are also regularly mistreated as a Wiki because Cheezeburger classifies us as one rather than a Database. And on the topic of Cheezeburger I FEEL they also have the staff meet a minimum quota of x number of articles a week forcing them to create articles about events with minimal impact more in the vein of Bloggers than Internet Scientists.

So really, in the grand scheme of things, two galleries getting locked and infighting occurring is nothing compared to what is wrong at the core.

i mostly agree with you on the centre paragraph, but that still isn't collapse. KYM is still getting plenty of traffic so it's hardly in shambles. i'm not really happy with the current kym direction either but i am not gonna say it has collapsed

"And on the topic of Cheezeburger they also have the staff meet a minimum quota of x number of articles a week forcing them to create articles about events with minimal impact more in the vein of Bloggers than Internet Scientists."

That explains so much. If you don't mind I'm going to post this on every Don/Molly entry so people will stop bitching about them. That really does suck though you'd think the people at Cheezeburger would realize that this is a quality vs quantity issue.

Tchefuncte Bonaparte wrote:

"And on the topic of Cheezeburger they also have the staff meet a minimum quota of x number of articles a week forcing them to create articles about events with minimal impact more in the vein of Bloggers than Internet Scientists."

That explains so much. If you don't mind I'm going to post this on every Don/Molly entry so people will stop bitching about them. That really does suck though you'd think the people at Cheezeburger would realize that this is a quality vs quantity issue.

So that was the truth after all.
They were forced by Cheezburger.

blue wrote:

So that was the truth after all.
They were forced by Cheezburger.

Disclaimer:

I don't actually know anything about what goes on behind the scenes. The last sentence in that rant of mine is just a prediction and should be taken with a grain of salt. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited Aug 10, 2014 at 11:43PM EDT

Disclaimer:

I don't actually know anything about what goes on behind the scenes. The last sentence in that rant of mine is just a prediction and should be taken with a grain of salt. Sorry for the confusion.

Nope, your rant is now gospel.

Mangy Black Sheep wrote:

Nope, your rant is now gospel.

You know, Mangy, he just said that it was an opinion and that was where he stood. You're a complete idiot if you hold the opinion of someone on the internet close to the Gospel, I'll just say that much. People always seem to think that opinions of highly respected people are truth, especially in this case. All I see right now is an angry mob with torches and pitchforks hearing a rumor about someone being a witch.

Disclaimer:

Although I have had word from a few people,on the IRC that this is true, most of these mods that said this. Still could be inaccurate, however.

Last edited Aug 11, 2014 at 12:37AM EDT

Zarathh wrote:

You know, Mangy, he just said that it was an opinion and that was where he stood. You're a complete idiot if you hold the opinion of someone on the internet close to the Gospel, I'll just say that much. People always seem to think that opinions of highly respected people are truth, especially in this case. All I see right now is an angry mob with torches and pitchforks hearing a rumor about someone being a witch.

Dude, I was joking. For fuck's sake, Zarathh.

Zarathh wrote:

The website was down for about 3 or so hours just a bit ago. Clearly KYM Collapsed.

The KYM illuminati caught on to our plan to seize the site and took it down before the plan could be enacted

I'm glad some people were mature about this. Too late to turn things around now.

I partially blame myself for some exaggeration in my speech.

Last edited Aug 11, 2014 at 06:20AM EDT

Tchefuncte Bonaparte wrote:

Not really sur this goes here but… Why do threads from Riff Raff keep getting moved to general? Is it a glitch or is there a mod doing it?

I really do hope you're joking.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!