Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Twitter Meme Mega Research Thread

Last posted Jun 30, 2011 at 07:08PM EDT. Added Jun 29, 2011 at 01:45AM EDT
3 posts from 2 users

Twitter has become a huge part of how information is shared and spread within the past few years, and as such, has not only helped propagate memes (Friday, Nigel Remixes, iconsftw), but also created some. However, these are harder to find the origin… So, I have decided to make a thread where we can try to find the origin for some twitter memes and the like.

Here are a few that I'm currently trying to find:

Rise and Grind
Is usually a trending topic at least once or twice a month, sometimes once a week. May be related to the Donnie Wahlberg song of the same name.

Miley Citrus, Kanye East, Lady Dada, etc…
While we do already have a thread for this, I do have a feeling that this was not just a passing fad. A few days ago, several of the terms were trending again and one of the Top Tweets contained several of the puns.

#firstworldproblems
All I know about this one is that this hashtag is commonly used to pretty much say, "yeah, I know that there are worse things happening in the world, but this is a big problem for me"

That Awkward Moment When
I've seen this starting to spread to tumblr as well, but I see it more prominently on twitter.

Last edited Jun 29, 2011 at 01:46AM EDT

awesome thread.

earliest #firstworldproblems tweet i could find on google real time was on january 25th, 2011, but since 2011 is the only year range available and there could be even older ones.

There's also #firstworldpains, which started not too long ago on June 17th.

Last edited Jun 29, 2011 at 02:50AM EDT

Since the inception of this thread, I have come to realize that a few of these memes are so simple in concept, that to claim that they are "twitter memes" would be foolish, especially considering how they are used on other sites as well. They are common and simple, so even someone who is not all too into internet memes usually knows about them, such as the case of "First World Problems" and "That Awkward Moment When".

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!