Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

"You Sit On A Throne Of Lies!"

Last posted Dec 14, 2013 at 10:47PM EST. Added Dec 13, 2013 at 09:20PM EST
5 posts from 4 users

I'm feeling holly and jolly now that my Exams are out of the way and Christmas is a-comin', so I was thinking of working on a sort-of-holiday-themed Meme page. Here's what I have so far:

About

"You Sit On A Throne Of Lies" is statement by Will Ferrell in the 2003 film Elf. The quote is commonly used to satirize statements that are contradictory or clearly dishonest.

Origin

The quote originally comes from a scene in which Buddy (Will Ferrell's character) encounters a mall Santa. However, Buddy had been expecting the actual Santa Claus and was eagerly anticipating his arrival, leaving the North Pole denizen disillusioned at the mall Santa. Buddy then whispers insults at the man indicating his disgust at the "impostor", including "You sit on a throne of lies!"

Spread

The quote gained popularity on humor website YTMND when user Cryokenetic uploaded a site that contained a picture of Buddy paired up the audio from the scene and matching text.[1] The site received over 3,000 votes and maintains an average of 3.63/5.[2] The sound file used on the website was also used on over 30 similar YTMND sites, and an alternate sound file was used on several other YTMND sites.[3][4]

Since then, Meme Generator has created templates for Buddy The Elf, featuring macros containing the quote in question and several others related to the character.[5][6]

Search Interest

[direct use of the Google Trends embed code is no longer allowed]

External References

[1] YTMND – You Sit on a Throne of Lies!

[2] YTMND – Site Profile.

[3] YTMND – Asset Information.

[4] YTMND – 'Throne Of Lies' Search.

[5] Meme Generator – Throne Of Lies Elf.

[6] Meme Generator – Buddy The Elf.

[Examples]

Last edited Dec 13, 2013 at 09:23PM EST

I agree.

Also, the whole movie has had notability, so possibly we could just have an Elf entry.

Last edited Dec 14, 2013 at 09:07AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!