Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

IGN 10/10

Last posted May 19, 2014 at 06:30PM EDT. Added May 16, 2014 at 08:28AM EDT
13 posts from 9 users

So here is a popular catchphrase to mock the reviews of IGN. Probably been deratived from would/would not bang. It also can be referred with "11/10", "it's okay" and "game of the year" cliches.
I dunno how did this became so popular. But i see it on some youtube or 4chan comments out there. It is also pretty popular on MLG montage parodies.
But what is the trigger? Which review did actually cause this gag?

Some related sources:
Funnyjunk 1
Funnyjunk 2
Imgur
Wordpress
Gaiaonline
Reddit

Last edited May 16, 2014 at 08:48AM EDT

I believe this whole thing really just spawns from the whole argument against gaming media, plenty of games journalists and sites have been accused of being paid off in the past, it's just IGN especially (and even Gamespot at times) are the most notable.

I think "IGN Scoring" would cover this better than either of the names suggested – usually "it's okay" is paired up with a 9/10 or something. Also, because of the way they're inconsistent with rating games on similar merits. Like this.

Last edited May 18, 2014 at 12:59AM EDT

How about an IGN subculture entry which focuses on both "10/10 it's ok" and "can't spell ignorant without IGN." Would be great to cover everything we make fun of IGN in one entry.

chowzburgerz wrote:

How about an IGN subculture entry which focuses on both "10/10 it's ok" and "can't spell ignorant without IGN." Would be great to cover everything we make fun of IGN in one entry.

I don't think the IGNorance thing doesn't nearly have as much spread, though.

It comes from the fact that IGN tends to give very high scores. For example, on the "IGN scale" a 7.0 means the game is bad.

It also comes from the fact that they nearly always give AAA games, such as Call of Duty, 9's or 10's. Allegations that Activision pays them to get good reviews have existed since forever.

Kung Fu Cthulhu wrote:

I don't think the IGNorance thing doesn't nearly have as much spread, though.

Really, because I thought can't spell ignorance without IGN was the common catchphrase for the anti-IGN crowd. Also, I'm an idiot for saying that IGN should have a subculture entry. It should be site entry.

chowzburgerz wrote:

Really, because I thought can't spell ignorance without IGN was the common catchphrase for the anti-IGN crowd. Also, I'm an idiot for saying that IGN should have a subculture entry. It should be site entry.

It's a commonly used phrase, but it doesn't have a whole lot of image-based spread. Media's the top dog on this site.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!