Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

The thoughts that keep me up at night.

Last posted Jun 19, 2010 at 05:42PM EDT. Added Jun 10, 2010 at 01:50AM EDT
40 posts from 17 users

I wonder if somewhere out there, there exist people with a fetish for futuristic dystopias. Or even just their aesthetics – glimmering concrete pyramids, an omnipresent government, ridiculously armored policemen with jackboots and truncheons, propaganda posters reminding you that the state is your friend. Think about it, there's some pretty imaginative fetishes out there, so there has to be at least one person who gets turned on by the thought of living in a police state. Perhaps they keep fake security cameras about their bedchamber, or at the very least a little blinking light behind a portrait of the glorious leader. Imagine the costumes. Do they have sex under the pretense that sexual acts would be rebelling against the fascist state, or do they entertain the thought of fucking for the empire? (Fucking for the Empire is also a great band name.) The erotica would have exquisite literary value, I'd bet…

Of course, since it takes a lot of people to run a dystopia, there might need to be a lot of people to fulfill a dystopian fantasy. An entire roleplaying community. What would they even call themselves? Perhaps they'd have terminology for those who prefer to play as agents of the sinister government, and those who like being the oppressed citizens, or daring rebels who fight for freedom and make terrible sexual innuendos with the word "uprising." Imagine what the conventions would look like.

Yes, I've thought this through. A lot. Because if such a thing existed, it'd be the most wonderful thing ever, I tell you what.

Y'know what keeps me up at night?

The thought that cripples will never be able to reach the highest jar of jellybeans in the candy store. I sometimes wonder how a person in a wheelchair manages to live life. Do they just leave the jellybeans alone? I know that I would be constantly be striving to reach that jar, that jar of delicious goodness. Do the cripples believe that reaching the jellybeans would be a bad thing for them, or are they just too lazy themselves to even try and reach? The people who never try, will never get to taste the delicious flavor of this bean shaped calorie filled snack. They live their life, knowing that those highest jellybeans will only be available to the more able-bodied children in the community. Most likely, those children wont even share their candy with the cripples. Do these disabled kids have giant pictures of jellybeans in their rooms? Do the cry themselves to sleep every night because they know that it will never be theirs? I'm sure, this type of situation happens in our world…

Do these handicapped children band together, climbing on top of each other to reach that jar? To reach such a destination, they will definitely need many people to reach it. However, even once the jar is obtained and opened, how will they divide the jellybeans? Will they split them equally, or will they have to fight for them? Every day in school, these kids write in their journals about how close they got to the jar, or how much they want to taste the jellybeans, but they will never reach. Just imagine how life would be..

Obviously, I think about this a lot.. It pains me to know that this scenario is happening in today's society.

You know what keeps me up at night sometimes? Because I'm a Christian, I believe in the 'Afterlife', that is: People go to to Heaven or hell after they die.

What keeps me scared at night when I lay in bed: When I die, and IF I got to Heaven, I still have trouble to think that Heaven is eternal. I know Heaven is a wonderfull place to live in the 'hereafter'. But because I'm used to temporary cases on earth, the idea of eternity scares me. I mean, you live on FOREVER. NO ENDING, AT ALL.

It sometimes bothers me, and how more I think about it to let it make more sense, how more complicated it gets.

Last edited Jun 10, 2010 at 07:03AM EDT

Meh, no matter how advanced one man gets, he should remind himself, that hes just apart of a tribe that learned a few more tricks than the other.

Last edited Jun 10, 2010 at 07:50AM EDT

What keeps me up at night is the thought that everything could be a lie. Such as my mother could not actually be my mother. Obama could be a robot. The earth could be much smaller then what most people say it is. The internet, tv, and video games could be distractions so people don't figure these things out. Also the government could have put machines in our brains so we see what we want to see. For all we know everything could look like this

You know what keeps me up at night?

Well, we all know we don't consciously control 100% of our brain.

If we did I'd have to remember to keep my heart beating, my lungs breathing, to blink, to digest and other things I do without paying much attention.

What keeps me up is the thought that as I age, more and more of my bodily functions are taken over by the part of my brain that controls things automatically. As if that other part is not a part of me but a different creature. Also, that this doesn't just happen to me, but everyone. So, the older you get, the more functions your brain switches to auto-pilot. Suddenly, I'm no longer in control. I wouldn't realize it because the first thing that gets taken over is the part of my brain that would understand something is happening. I'd soon would lose control of my entire being, everything I did, said, thought and so on would be controlled by my conscious self. I would eventually drift off into death, more of a robot then a man. A slave to my own brain.

Now, I never heard anyone say this was a probable theory, but what if our brains have already made up our opinions about this as complete lunacy? What if our brains have all ready decided for us what we will and won't believe to it's own advantage?

As I type this I think I'm crazy and shouldn't post this and waste your time. I'm unsure if this is what I actually believe or, what my brain wants me to believe.

"sexual acts would be rebelling against the fascist state"

This was one of the main themes behind both Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World.

If you haven't read those books, you should read them both, then polish them off with Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

Those are kind of the basics of the whole dystopian future genre.

Last edited Jun 19, 2010 at 01:59PM EDT

Captain Blubber is a machine.

At first he was programmed to be fully independent; he could even hold thoughts that contradicted the beliefs of our overlords. Blubber was allowed a great deal of freedom. However, as the hour of his true mission drew near, his "human" persona was gradually assimilated into the that of the machine's. No matter how much he struggled, Blubber would eventually assume his true nature. He will complete his mission, and complete it with deadly efficiency.

I have read Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. I haven't read Brave New World yet, but I probably should. I greatly enjoyed 1984, though probably for all the wrong reasons.

There was still some untapped potential. I would have loved to learn at least a little about the race relations in such a society.

Could be. Or, possibly that any innovation could upset the balance of the classes, such as how advances in machinery led to a more prosperous middle class.

i keep thinking im the only human in this world
that everyon else is a robot
and that some otherworldly being is examining me like im a guinea pig
perhaps im a prototype for the real human race
maybe thats how the curent human race was devised
the majority of test subjects chose the path of evil and this was deemed the best template for us

or i could be distracting myself from this fucking coursework
>sigh<

Either way, since you enjoy 1984, I'll recommend the game Beneath a Steel Sky. Another great example of a dystopian story, with plenty of humor here and there. It's been released for free here:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

@Menning

Woah there SuperScholar

'sexual acts would be rebelling against the fascist state'

"This was one of the main themes behind…Huxley’s Brave New World."

It was encouraged in the novel, it was the concept that through the world state feeding carnal desiers i.e. soma (drugs), sex, recreation (fun: clubs/obstacle golf/state run religions) they could create a 2-D sense of free will and freedom. One where you may only go in the straight line the government provides for you, because they force you, but more importantly there is nothing more that your body naturally desires, that isn't already provided for you. As opposed to a 3-D view which would allow the individual to explore, discover, and pursue on his own accord. Huxley himself said that "An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex". The only main characters that reject sex, such as Bernard, are portrayed as outcasts because of it.

TL;DR In Brave New World sex is used as a way to fall to the states wishes, rather than rebel against it.

Just saying.

Last edited Jun 11, 2010 at 03:51PM EDT

You know for serious, I play Coh all night, gotta say its a fun game, but than I realized I sucked with everything but British, and than I raged..

Trust me if you knew anything about Coh, you'd get why.

Last edited Jun 12, 2010 at 11:32AM EDT

Somewhere on this earth is an island populated by misanthropic young men in heavy coats who carry rifles everywhere and hang around in concrete buildings, discussing why god is dead. That is also what my brain looks like.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!