Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,092 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

What can I do for panic attacks?

Last posted Nov 12, 2022 at 10:34PM EST. Added Oct 15, 2022 at 08:26PM EDT
14 posts from 14 users

I’m being 100% serious I really need help controlling these attacks. They happen when something in my life is either taken from me for good, something I have a ton of passion for is threatened in some way, or if it feels like I’m on the brink of losing it all. This has been going on for more than a decade and it happens with enough frequency to be a serious problem, but I don’t feel like I can talk to family about 99% of what ails me and I have no irl friends to talk to. I’m also too afraid to talk to doctors about the minute details of these attacks of mine. My Paxil may prevent me from being a wreck all day long, but it doesn’t stop immediate and extreme panic attacks as a result of sudden news. As I’m typing this I’m already suffering an attack as we speak and no I don’t want to explain what caused this specific one as the exact news making me have an attack right now is not what I want to be the main subject.

Please help me I just want these attacks to stop and just feel happy.

I'm sorry, my advice isn't really great for what you really need.

Generally speaking, doing physical things can help. either going to a gym somewhat regularly or going outside and moving around like walking a lot (a weighted vest is what I did and it helped a lot). This didn't stop the issues, but it did make me feel physically better which in turn made the emotional issues less of an issue for me when they occurred. If you were closer or willing to move closer I'd certainly offer to do things in person.

As for more immediate relief, I really am not an expert. I would recommend seeking more professional help, though I know that most people in this situation already know this, however, the stress of actually trying to get it is almost as bad as the issue itself. If what you're going through is anything like what I've experienced, it is possible that you have some unresolved trauma that has gone unrecognized. Therapists can be better in this situation than medication.

Best I can reccomend that worked for me in an anxious week a while ago was to take a few days disconnected from the things that were making me angry.

Made a second youtube account and migrated all my non political subscriptions to it, stuck my news, political and twitter bookmarks in a folder so i wouldn't see them just by opening the tab.

Pretend the world wasnt going to come crashing down if I stopped paying attention for a while, still here so I guess it worked.

Last edited Oct 16, 2022 at 06:27PM EDT

Controlled exposure to stress so you can actually practice dealing with the panic attacks.

Unfortunately, it's not always possible and you sometimes just keep getting thrown in the deep end.

As others have said, if you have access to a professional, use it – but if you need to take enough of a medication that it turns you into a zombie for it to do anything, fuck that noise.

I’m no expert on this stuff, but like what others here suggest I do recommend you seek a therapist for this stuff

In the meantime try some breathing exercises to help calm yourself down. I got that idea from this:

Last edited Oct 24, 2022 at 10:10AM EDT

that is non contolable and serious state, i think
you should address doctor first of all
my friend has panic attacks and her doctor prescribed her several medicaments
BUT it is also self-work – work with your thoughts and mood, psychological state.

I'm sorry that you're going through this but I think you should talk to a doctor or therapist.

In the mean time, you could try playing games like solitaire to keep your mind working on a puzzle. That helped me deal with election/work related anxiety.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!