Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

reCaptcha for Know Your Meme?

Last posted Sep 24, 2011 at 03:34PM EDT. Added Sep 20, 2011 at 07:47AM EDT
25 posts from 15 users

There have been a ton of spammers recently. Whats worse, these spammers are making threads to advertise their products, which at a first glance might be something actually entertaining.
Does anyone have any ideas to get rid of these? Might we add a reCaptcha to prevent spambots from joining KYM?

Fill in ALL the Captchas!

How about triple-layering the login thing? Three Captchas, all of them have to be right. No lucky guesses for you. I'd like to see a spambot try to make an account through that.

On a Futurama wiki that I go on occasionally, the "captcha" is usually a question related to Futurama, so a real person can look up the answer on the site if they don't already know it. (Which they should considering they're signing up for a Futurama wiki, but that's irrelevant.)

What I'm saying is that maybe instead of a captcha, we could have it ask meme-related questions. If the person doesn't know it, they could look it up on the site.

It would make more sense to have this layered with an actual captcha just to make sure though.

Philip J. Fry wrote:

On a Futurama wiki that I go on occasionally, the "captcha" is usually a question related to Futurama, so a real person can look up the answer on the site if they don't already know it. (Which they should considering they're signing up for a Futurama wiki, but that's irrelevant.)

What I'm saying is that maybe instead of a captcha, we could have it ask meme-related questions. If the person doesn't know it, they could look it up on the site.

It would make more sense to have this layered with an actual captcha just to make sure though.

+1 this. I bet we could make a CBC-type project for us all to come up with questions, like how we did for the login screen picture thing.

Philip J. Fry wrote:

This is actually a great idea.

Philip J. Fry wrote:

Maybe we shouldn't do it for signups, because we can't expect new members to have a huge understanding of memes, but the Meme Question would be great if you had to do it before you made a new thread. That would clean up the forum spam a ton.

Cyber6x wrote:

I like the idea of this, but I think SRJ is too much of a KYM inside joke………..
Anyways, if we were to make these, maybe choose from entries that have over 500,000 views? Or ones that originated more than a year ago?

Here's another idea: Let ALL BNMs go through a first-post test, which is essentially let mods see what their first forum post or comment is, before they are released to the Forums/Comments. Spam will be fairly obvious, and if the mods decide this is a spambot then it would be an instant ban.

There will be a problem in this though……the mods will have more work, or we will need more mods.

Why do we need more security?

This whole thread seems to be filled with overreactions. If we have a few more spammers, who gives a shit? We have mods. Just ignore them and let it be.

The site is fine how it is. Stop making nonsense ideas that won't be implemented, that are just to block about one or two spam threads a day. It's pointless.

That's my say in the matter. Thank you and goodnight.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!