Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Quote buttons on forums

Last posted Aug 16, 2013 at 12:48PM EDT. Added Aug 16, 2013 at 01:05AM EDT
11 posts from 5 users

Just an idea popped out of my mind in PG.

You know: entries has some hastags which scrolls down to the reference.
Why don't we use that for quoting in forums?
When you click the quote button on forums, it copies the whole content of quoted post.
Doesn't this kinda waste and make the thread unnecessary long?

My suggestion: that quote button should create a hashtag. When you click on it, it automatically scrolls to the quoted post.

For example:

long post to make you guys see the scrolling function

@Alex Mercer

As you see; that didn't copypaste the whole thing i have already posted.
Wouldn't this be incredibly useful? Think about it!

Last edited Aug 16, 2013 at 01:22AM EDT

Personally, I think quoted text should just be automatically spoilerd if they exceed a certain length or include an image/video in it.

The "Go To Post" button is a bit clusterfuckish for me, especially when I need to hit the back button in order to return to the post that was quoting the quoted post.

Last edited Aug 16, 2013 at 01:55AM EDT

Oh you meant this, haha. I have no idea why I thought you meant greentext in the other thread. Anyway…

I can't really envision myself doing it that way. Because it takes more time to set those links up compared to quoting. I have to inspect element to see the post ID then type the URL (I prefer doing it with HTML, not textile). That takes more clicks than hitting the quote button or just manually typing in the quote blocks as I type.

But if I just use one of these : @Alexmercer…which isn't a quote, then your idea would work very well with that and is quite practical. That's helpful for other readers. The only problem is being arsed to go through the trouble

All and all, the length of each page is rather insignificant on KYM. 4chan has a link-quoting system just like that. But 4chan needs a more compact way of referencing posts by design. KYM, by comparison has less need for saving page space so we use the quoteblock system which is easier to read and follow compared to a whole bunch of links that have you backtracking between posts

If you are annoyed by people who quote massive long posts that waste page space when they don't need to, yea so am I.

We talked about giving mods the power to remove quotes from posts so that we can tidy up unnecessarily long quotes

In the meantime people just need to remember that you don't have to quote the whole entire damn post! Just take the part you want to reply towards and leave out the rest.

And stop quoting a post that right above yours. That's pointless!

Last edited Aug 16, 2013 at 02:32AM EDT

I wish users were using <blockquote> code more than the quote button.

And yes. whole quote of posts with huge images and tl;dr is incredibly annoying. Maybe quote button should be more privatized.

Such as "quote tool"… Selecting parts of quotes from massive texts, using spoilers like Natsuru said. But that kind of tool is pretty hard to codded.

I say, going with hashtags will be more useful and handy. That "quote button" is useless already. We generally don't quote the whole post unless that is short.

Last edited Aug 16, 2013 at 03:44AM EDT

How do you even do this?

<a href="#forum_post_518417">@CrashGordon94</a>

^If you put this code you will basically get this:

@CrashGordon94

#forum_post_(post id goes here)

How do i reveal post id?

Click "quote" button then look at the url

Last digits on the url is the post id. Just add it to the code. But "@CrashGordon94" thing is not a necessity. You can write whatever you want. "@" just shows itself as a quote more clearly.

Last edited Aug 16, 2013 at 11:37AM EDT

You mean nested quotes? I've always wondered why they haven't had them here, they're pretty damn useful for arguments conversations so you can look back.

Well, you don't mean nested quotes… oh well, you're idea is a good one too.

Last edited Aug 16, 2013 at 12:49PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!