PROTIP: Press 'i' to view the image gallery, 'v' to view the video gallery, or 'r' to view a random entry.
This submission is currently being researched & evaluated!
You can help confirm this entry by contributing facts, media, and other evidence of notability and mutation.
What Should We Call Me (snowclone: What Should We Call X) is a single topic blog which pairs everyday occurrences with an animated reaction GIF conveying a fitting reaction or a feeling projected by the poster in each given situation. Since its launch in February 2012, the blog has inspired dozens of spin-off sites that focus on a specific field of interest or occupation.
The Tumblr blog What Should We Call Me was started on February 6th, 2012 by two 24-year-old best friends who had recently parted ways to attend law schools in Washington, D.C. and San Francisco, California. While chatting online one night, the pair decided to start a collaborative blog to stay in touch with each other during the school year.
While discussing their plan, the Californian friend accidentally typed “What should we call me?” in naming of the blog and they decided to go with the awkward phrase for the blog’s name. The first post paired a GIF animation from the Disney television show That’s So Raven featuring the titular character’s little brother talking about putting on his “eating pants” with the post title “When my best friend and I decide we’re not going out.”
Precursor: My Face When
The concept of using reaction faces as the punchline has been previously observed as early as November 2009 with my face when (>mfw) threads on 4chan and Reddit, which pairs greentext stories or everyday nuisances with a fitting reaction image.
On March 12th, the creators began a Twitter account for their Tumblr posts, which has gained more than 34,000 followers as of May 2012. On March 21st, the Huffington Post featured the site in their weekly post “7 Sites You Should Be Wasting Time On Right Now.” Eight days later, the creators were interviewed by Forbes, in which they stated they never intended for the blog to become popular, they just wanted to make each other laugh.
Throughout the month of April, the blog was featured on women’s magazine Allure ,USA Today College and the Huffington Post a second time. On April 20th, the pair revealed that their blog had broken 100,000 followers. In addition, there is a Facebook fan page dedicated to the blog and some Tumblr users have begun posting GIF responses to their own situations with the tags #what should we call me or #wswcm.
Due to the blog’s easily replicable format, many parody blogs began appearing with the same stock Tumblr layout. On May 15th, Buzzfeed featured several of these blogs including What Should We Call Cats (below left), written from the perspective of cats, College Greeks (below center), for people who participate in fraternities and sororities and When in Austin (below right), for people from the city in Texas.
- What Should We College Meme
- What High School Should We Call Me
- What Should We Call Private School
- What Should We Call Grad School
- What Should We Call Med School
- What Should We Call Northeastern
- What Should We Call ROTC
- What Should Mount Saint Vincent Call Me
- What Should We Call Nursing School
- What Should Call Me Duke
- What Should We Call Northwestern
- What Should We Call Princeton
- What Should Theater Call Me
- What Should We Call Stage Management
- What Should We Call Customer Service
- What Should We Call Linguistics
- What Should Teach for America Call Me
- What Should We Call Conservatory
- What Should We Call Nursing
- What Should We Call Computer Science
- What Should We Call Engineering
- What Should We Call Me Fashion
- What Should We Call Poets
- What Should We Call Opera
- What Should We Call Clarinets
- What Should We Call Bassoon
- What Should Ravers Call Me
- What Should We Call Weddings
- What Should We Call Camp
- What Should We Call Social Media
- What Should We Call Bros
- What Should We Call Apes
- What Should We Call Me …Maybe
- What Should We Call One Direction
- What Should We Call Skins
What Should We Call Disney
Huffington Post – #whatshouldwecallme: 15 Hilarious GIFs From The Viral Tumblr
USA Today College – Law students’ fun way to keep in touch becomes Tumblr sensation
There are no videos currently available.