Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
16th Annual Webby Awards -- Vote for KYM!

Last posted Sep 25, 2012 at 05:59PM EDT. Added Apr 17, 2012 at 01:32PM EDT
28 posts from 13 users

WOOOO BEST NEWS! We are nominated in this year's Webby awards for Best Cultural Blog. If you would like to vote for us, you can do so right here. The voting is through April 26th. Show us some love & tell your friends to vote also!

Most importantly, thank you to you guys. This community has helped KYM become a phenomenally awesome site and we wouldn't be able to keep being awesome without you. Internet high fives and less than threes for everyone!1 Youdabes.

Philip J. Fry wrote:

You have to sign up for the site?

Not quite. You can just use your Google account (or accounts) to sign in. You can also use a few other accounts you already have to sign in. It's pretty painless.

I was thinking the same thing about the other sites. I may have head of Dear Photograph, but I know I haven't heard of the others. Perhaps it's because we as KYM users don't need other sites for our meme fix and documentation, but I really don't think those sites hold that kind of sway.

• Dear Photograph seems to have a neat concept, but it's just a tumblr site. A very hipsterish tumblr site.
  • Apparently 99% has won this last year, and it seems to be good at what it's trying to do. It doesn't seem to be as comprehensive as KYM, but I don't think that's its aim.
  • Stark: The brainchild of media maven Amy Andrieux (TRACE, MTV.com, THE SOURCE), STARK is a sophisticated digital cultural guide that prides itself on being progressive, edgy and urbane. Seeing the hole in media and across a number of blogs to present content that is culturally rich, bold, raw, honest and worthy of a “real story”, we are committed to creatively pushing the boundaries of global urban culture by embracing those innovative movements and personalities as they become phenomenal. We believe that it is this passion for life and creativity that binds us all.
    • And I thought Dear Photograph screamed "Hipster"…
  • Speaking of "Hipster" (again,) I don't know what the inspiration is trying to do as a site. I don't see a mission or an "About" section.
    • Granted, it hasn't blown up yet. But when it does, it's going to be huge. I think I'd have to get in on the ground level to know what it's about.

Of course, I'm biased, but I think KYM is far superior. From the looks of the other candidates, I think that we're more focused on Internet culture, but we do a good job of covering events that have an effect IRL as long as they have influence on Web Culture as well.

The other sites seem to focus on culture in general. It almost seems like KYM doesn't belong.

amanda b. wrote:

I know right! I am so anxious!!!!!!!!!!!11111

I've been having that issue. For whatever reason, you have to sign-in and go back to the page. Maybe refresh once or twice.

• KYM: 50%
  • Dear Photograph: 21%
  • 99%: 19%
    • iz funny cuz dey dont have 99% of the vote tho
  • The Inspiration: 7%
  • Stark: 3%

Sorry for double posting, but…

WE WON THE PEOPLE'S VOICE AWARD!

But The 99% won the Webby Award though. The 99%, you suck no matter what, end of story.

EDIT: Here's a screencap of the results.

Last edited May 01, 2012 at 08:03AM EDT

I had a sneaking suspicion that something like this would happen.

The other sites seem to focus on culture in general. It almost seems like KYM doesn’t belong.

Again, most of the other sites scream hipster outside of the 99%, and even that blog has a touch of that feeling going by what they cover (unless I really know nothing about culture.) But they won it last year, and like I said, they seem to be good what they aim to do. We're focused on memes and have somewhat recently stretched out into covering IRL events that have an effect on Web culture. We're… different.

It's nice to be recognized as a nominee though. I think that's a testament to how good we are at documentation, given that our articles are often made and certainly edited and maintained by volunteers. Of course, I think we're great at documentation of memes and subcultures (people and events too), but to be considered to be in the top five for something entirely different by a group of experts (and the list is pretty freakin' impressive) is nice.

It's like we're LeBron James. You're one of the best scorers in basketball, of course. But you're also one of the best passers and defenders as well.

Go us guys.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!