Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

Entry Confirmations

Last posted Feb 18, 2018 at 08:36PM EST. Added Feb 01, 2018 at 01:40PM EST
12 posts from 8 users

We are planning to do a confirmation of all entries that have been added to the KYM frontpage and have reached a threshold of 65,000 views, adding approximately 1,000 confirmed entries. For now, this will help take care of the backlog of confirms but we are still looking into what metrics to use for confirmations going forward.

Last edited Feb 01, 2018 at 03:37PM EST

I feel like the easiest "metric' is just to ask users at this point. People come across an entry, scroll right past the "researching banner",and don't really realize the article is more than done. Put out a bounty, slap a "+1 confirm" button on every page, or just strong-arm the mods into scouring the pages. We've learned our lesson from using pageviews and frontpage popularity as anything more than search interest, I feel.

+1 button would be nice though.

A voting system could work. I think your idea of limiting it to just a "+1 confirm" would be best. After getting these backlogs taken care of, that is certainly an option we could use going forward.

I too think entries should have a voting system like the images and videos. If it reaches a certain amount of upvotes like 100, then confirm it. If a well made entry that involves an event or a controversy gets a certain amount of downvotes like -100, then deadpool it.

chowzburgerz wrote:

I too think entries should have a voting system like the images and videos. If it reaches a certain amount of upvotes like 100, then confirm it. If a well made entry that involves an event or a controversy gets a certain amount of downvotes like -100, then deadpool it.

I don't think you realise how abused that system would be.

Looks at Reddit's karma system

People will just downvote all the "Things I hate webcomics" despite them all being actual memes.

Honestly I'm even in favour of utterly abolishing the Submission/Confirm system. Saying that an entry is "confirmed" is a completely arbitrary label, you might as well merge it into entries and deadpool all rejects.

RandomMan wrote:

Honestly I'm even in favour of utterly abolishing the Submission/Confirm system. Saying that an entry is "confirmed" is a completely arbitrary label, you might as well merge it into entries and deadpool all rejects.

In its current form, I completely understand your argument and have even leaned toward it myself. However, I think if we make some tweaks to the system it can turn into something more interesting and useful.

Don wrote:

In its current form, I completely understand your argument and have even leaned toward it myself. However, I think if we make some tweaks to the system it can turn into something more interesting and useful.

Same here, it's just an outdated system in its current form that even removal was an available solution (which in itself is evidence of it being outdated).

Like your OP shows, the Submission purgatory is the main issue, so if that can become automated in some form it's already a major step in the right direction.

I feel votes maintain the arbitrary status issue tho, especially when your active community can feel strongly one way or another towards a meme. Pageviews within a certain timeslot could be a more automated method, but this then leaves out a quality check. Also entry types should probably be judged differently, given Events' short interest peak compared to Subcultures' more spreaded interest.

Last edited Feb 05, 2018 at 02:57PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

But then the actual memes would be lumped together with all of the one-day facebook fads with no spread.

Security in layers? Perhaps an entry could need to meet several qualifications like:

- X quantity of views within X amount of time since entry creation. The timeline could be adjusted based on types of memes?
- X quantity of confirmations from users through a confirmation button. More weight could be given to votes based on whether the user has voted with or against the majority in past confirmations, as well as how many past confirmations they've participated in?
- X quantity of known posts on "acceptable" sites. System could fetch the image, and run image comparison to confirm it is the meme in question?
- X quantity of submissions here on KYM from X quantity of unique accounts. More weight could be given to accounts that have posted on a larger number of different entries which were ultimately approved?
- X quantity of non-participant confirmations. Users who haven't viewed an entry, or any images submitted to it (who don't mind being prompted) could get a message asking them if they've ever seen this meme before.

Ok I'm taking the time to go look really hard at the FAQs on how this whole ENTIRE system works and to change it to something else, really goes against the foundation of how these memes are being confirmed.

Also, at the same time, "confirming" a meme is only considered a confirmation if the KYM staff reviews it. (in the FAQ).

This proves the point that the Administration/Mod team were always in charge of the final say of the confirmation because of fact checking sources and in a sense by legitimate research, "proving" it to be a meme.

So please someone tell me,

Now just by having a certain amount of views on an entry automatically confirms the meme even though the views are coming from the source (as in this website) of the entries? That would be speculative mainly because one can say that this website in it's self, could really make their own content and just because enough users view the entry (coming back to this type of paradox) that entry is confirmed.

Not saying that KYM would make their own content, but does discredit the validness of the meme. From an outside looking in approach. -just a thought

Last edited Feb 18, 2018 at 02:08PM EST

Guys, sorry but look

Both Don and RandomMan bring validity in what might seem like a broken system. Just using pure common sense here, the factors that play into this are drastic as far as the credibility of a meme. And trust me on this, this type of research is not easy and that's why I give credit when due.

I like to stick to the basic foundations of the purpose why you would consider changing the sole purpose of the site. Things might be easier, but at the cost of losing the objective of research.

I'm just putting in some feedback and if you look at that from a true research perspective, it is nawt da wae.

At the same timeā€¦ if just confirming entries by getting views can get the bills payed I cant knock you there.

Finally, being open to new ideas has proven its self through history to either make or break a project equal to internet meme research, taboo as the subject is.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!