Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

"Original Content" Button Added to Image Upload Page

Last posted Mar 18, 2018 at 05:06PM EDT. Added Mar 14, 2018 at 03:33PM EDT
29 posts from 14 users

We've added a checkbox to image upload pages to indicate that an image is an original creation by the uploader, which is then displayed under the "Source" heading on the image upload page. You can search for original content images by using the query "original_content:true".

The media submission guidelines have also been updated to indicate that false claims can result in a ban, so don't do it.

Last edited Mar 14, 2018 at 03:34PM EDT

Tchefuncte Bonaparte wrote:

So how long will it take for images marked as OC to show up in original_content:true?
I've marked about 3 things and none of them are showing up.

Searches are cached for an hour. You can probably see them already in oc:true.

Frick now I need to go through all my photoshop contests.

Great addition, love it!

Last edited Mar 14, 2018 at 04:27PM EDT

@Don

Thanks for clearing this up, it has been a major question rather it is acceptable or not, even though I had to dig to find it in the FAQ

It says that once a meme is confirmed, uploading OC is acceptable, so that means until the submission is confirmed…

But nice option for OC. Stuff like this is important and thanks to James for adding it.

I myself am guilty for uploading OC, but that was until I read that it wasn't the proper thing to do. So but adding this function, it will be clear to anyone attempting to upload an image they made.

Last edited Mar 15, 2018 at 11:12AM EDT

Alex>_> wrote:

@Don

Thanks for clearing this up, it has been a major question rather it is acceptable or not, even though I had to dig to find it in the FAQ

It says that once a meme is confirmed, uploading OC is acceptable, so that means until the submission is confirmed…

But nice option for OC. Stuff like this is important and thanks to James for adding it.

I myself am guilty for uploading OC, but that was until I read that it wasn't the proper thing to do. So but adding this function, it will be clear to anyone attempting to upload an image they made.

You don't need to wait for an entry to be confirmed to post OC in the gallery.

Carrie Enright wrote:

Would .GIFs of media like YouTube videos or TV shows be classified as OC if you generated it? Also are crops of say a 4chan thread be considered OC too?

As long as you are the creator of the original video, sure.

Last edited Mar 15, 2018 at 03:47PM EDT

Don wrote:

You don't need to wait for an entry to be confirmed to post OC in the gallery.

Cool, thanks for the reply. But I really hope no one goes and creates a completely fabricated meme and fake sources and shit.

Alex>_> wrote:

Cool, thanks for the reply. But I really hope no one goes and creates a completely fabricated meme and fake sources and shit.

if it's all OC and no cited sources, I think that would be pretty clear.

Amongus wrote:

@Don
does screenshots i took from the galleries count as OC too?
and images like this i made with the text generator?

For screenshots, don't list them as OC. The source field should be a link to where the screenshot was taken.

Don wrote:

For screenshots, don't list them as OC. The source field should be a link to where the screenshot was taken.

This is one of those things you might wanna put in the guidelines.

So what exactly is the failsafe measure used when one of the mods goes rogue and starts using the OC rule to ban users wrongfully because they felt like. Especially now that the newest wave introduced a certain somebody onto the mod team that's been conditioned to getting away with whatever the fuck he wants because of reasons.

Thanks, Admin team. Now excuse me while I go through my gallery to tag the stuff I actually made myself.

At least I don't have it that bad like other users.

Carrie Enright wrote:

So what exactly is the failsafe measure used when one of the mods goes rogue and starts using the OC rule to ban users wrongfully because they felt like. Especially now that the newest wave introduced a certain somebody onto the mod team that's been conditioned to getting away with whatever the fuck he wants because of reasons.

How would a mod even remotely be able to abuse that rule to ban someone? Everything is stored in the metadata, any "abuse" can be traced back.

For starters, we never ban right away, so odds are anyone who makes a derp gets directed to the updated rules first. Second, it's pretty clear when something is OC or isn't, can't abuse what isn't used incorrectly. Lastly, any ban can be undone and ban abuse is a one way ticket to demod.

You're seeing spooks my friend, so I hope eases your conscerns.

P.S. Regarding the mod you linked: None of the new mods have a banhammer. They can neither ban nor suspend, warn at most, and will need an existing mod with a banhammer for those tasks. We don't give that trinket away for free.

Last edited Mar 16, 2018 at 06:40AM EDT

How do we feel about meta images? I don't mean screenshots of site galleries, which are thankfully covered under Don's "For screenshots, don’t list them as OC." But what about say KYM-tan fanart, or more obscure KYM injoke stuff. I mean, a minor edit might not bee all that noteworthy but something with more effort, even if it's based on a joke few people only on this site even know about, dis at least take effort to create.

I assume it isn't a problem if we add this to other user's uploads who we know are the creators, correct? This is mostly for inactive users, for things like Photoshop contest entries, or where you can tell the history of an image due to comments or actually said in the notes that they themselves were the creator.

Finally, and this is the most important bit: There does not seem to be a way to have it listed both as OC and to have it linked to an offsite link in the source field. For example, I have made some images that I originally posted to Tumblr prior to uploading them to the site. Initially I had these images linked to this Tumblr post, but upon checking the OC box, this link is no longer visible. Is there a way to program so that both can be seen in the source field? At least one of my images has over 9000 notes on Tumblr. I also know that most DA/Tumblr/ Pixiv, etc. artists if they ever created accounts and posted their work here, they would prefer to have an obvious link to their actual artist page.

I know that a work around could be just putting the offsite source in the notes, though I don't know if everyone knows this.

Jill wrote:

How do we feel about meta images? I don't mean screenshots of site galleries, which are thankfully covered under Don's "For screenshots, don’t list them as OC." But what about say KYM-tan fanart, or more obscure KYM injoke stuff. I mean, a minor edit might not bee all that noteworthy but something with more effort, even if it's based on a joke few people only on this site even know about, dis at least take effort to create.

I assume it isn't a problem if we add this to other user's uploads who we know are the creators, correct? This is mostly for inactive users, for things like Photoshop contest entries, or where you can tell the history of an image due to comments or actually said in the notes that they themselves were the creator.

Finally, and this is the most important bit: There does not seem to be a way to have it listed both as OC and to have it linked to an offsite link in the source field. For example, I have made some images that I originally posted to Tumblr prior to uploading them to the site. Initially I had these images linked to this Tumblr post, but upon checking the OC box, this link is no longer visible. Is there a way to program so that both can be seen in the source field? At least one of my images has over 9000 notes on Tumblr. I also know that most DA/Tumblr/ Pixiv, etc. artists if they ever created accounts and posted their work here, they would prefer to have an obvious link to their actual artist page.

I know that a work around could be just putting the offsite source in the notes, though I don't know if everyone knows this.

You can totally mark those KYM fanarts as OC.

For offsite OC links, let's just put those links in the notes section for now, but I'll try to think of a better workaround in the future.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!