1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Manga General

Last posted Jul 27, 2014 at 07:12PM EDT. Added Jul 17, 2014 at 10:48AM EDT
26 posts from 14 users

Random 21 wrote:

so I can get Loli’s manga talk out of the anime general

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeb

Ahem, I read Suashi no Meteorite last nigth and, to be honest, it was really really good.

It starts as a common story but then it turns in something even more bigger. You guys should check it out.

Also, there is a prequel of Akame Ga Kill! called Akame Ga Kill Zero (sooooo original). It's about the life of Akame prior to being a member of the night raid, quite interesting.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 10:49AM EDT

Well I hope you all enjoy the thread, because it'll just be Loli and Dac going on about Akame over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until it's less a 'manga general' and more a 'Akame ga Kill general'.

Twenty-One wrote:

Well I hope you all enjoy the thread, because it'll just be Loli and Dac going on about Akame over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until it's less a 'manga general' and more a 'Akame ga Kill general'.

">>>>/out/":https://knowyourmeme.com/forums/moving-images/topics/23615-kym-anime-general/page/19

Twenty-One wrote:

We have a Books boad now. I have no issues with threads dedicated to specific manga. Same for threads about specific anime in the Moving Images board.

Hell, go do that even. We gotta make use of the new boards.

(inb4 Monster Musume thread)

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:00AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

We have a Books boad now. I have no issues with threads dedicated to specific manga. Same for threads about specific anime in the Moving Images board.

Hell, go do that even. We gotta make use of the new boards.

(inb4 Monster Musume thread)

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit to make a specific thread for a certain manga (I might make one for Akame tho) but I think is also a good idea to have a manga general where people can talk about manga, manga artist, mangakas, etc etc.

And of course, the classic: Please, tell me some good mangas.

Anyway, a monster musume thread isn't a bad idea neither.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:05AM EDT

Casually strolls into manga thread. Anyways, I've been reading Gantz (which is what the above picture is from) and it is nuts. I've also recently finished Uzumaki, which was a great read. I think Junji Ito really understands that there's more to horror than just gore, and he really manages to create some truly terrifying and creative scenarios all relating to the concept of spirals. It's kinda weird seeing spirals in such a negative light if you've watched Gurren Lagann, though.

neet wrote:

Casually strolls into manga thread. Anyways, I've been reading Gantz (which is what the above picture is from) and it is nuts. I've also recently finished Uzumaki, which was a great read. I think Junji Ito really understands that there's more to horror than just gore, and he really manages to create some truly terrifying and creative scenarios all relating to the concept of spirals. It's kinda weird seeing spirals in such a negative light if you've watched Gurren Lagann, though.

I seriously just finished Uzumaki last week, and it might be my favorite horror manga ever. The way the spiral was brought up, all of the things that related to it, and how they all came together in the end was pretty amazing. Also, I lost some sleep over what happened to certain snail people; it was really disturbing.

Would you recommend Gantz, and how similar or dissimilar is it to things written by Junji Ito?

madcat wrote:

I seriously just finished Uzumaki last week, and it might be my favorite horror manga ever. The way the spiral was brought up, all of the things that related to it, and how they all came together in the end was pretty amazing. Also, I lost some sleep over what happened to certain snail people; it was really disturbing.

Would you recommend Gantz, and how similar or dissimilar is it to things written by Junji Ito?

Gantz is much different from Ito's work. Stuff like Uzumaki is more psychological and existential horror, while Gantz is more high-octane, brutal action. Lots of gore and nudity. I'm about 50 chapters in, and it definitely has an addictive quality that makes you continue to read even though you said you'd stop a while ago. It also has some really crazy alien design and a very interesting concept. I'd suggest it if you're looking for something along those lines.

Also the stuff that happened to the snail people in Uzumaki was really fucked up. I think Uzumaki succeeds as a horror story because it becomes more terrifying the more you think about it, while mediocre horror becomes less scary as you ponder it more.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 02:16PM EDT

Twenty-One wrote:

Hey, only manga reading men in this thread. Casuals need not apply. Go back to watching baby anime.

@randomman

Speaking of monster musume, it's pretty incredible how popular it is despite being about 1)monster girls that are actually monstrous in appearance 2) it's a strong Echhi. I mean, it beat Attack on Titan for a couple weeks on the New York Times best sellers list. It really needs an anime.

neet wrote:

Gantz is much different from Ito's work. Stuff like Uzumaki is more psychological and existential horror, while Gantz is more high-octane, brutal action. Lots of gore and nudity. I'm about 50 chapters in, and it definitely has an addictive quality that makes you continue to read even though you said you'd stop a while ago. It also has some really crazy alien design and a very interesting concept. I'd suggest it if you're looking for something along those lines.

Also the stuff that happened to the snail people in Uzumaki was really fucked up. I think Uzumaki succeeds as a horror story because it becomes more terrifying the more you think about it, while mediocre horror becomes less scary as you ponder it more.

It sounds like something I could get into; I'll check it out. I'm reading Berserk right now, so I'll probably start reading Gantz and maybe something else by Junji Ito once I get current on it.

Dac wrote:

Hey, only manga reading men in this thread. Casuals need not apply. Go back to watching baby anime.

@randomman

Speaking of monster musume, it's pretty incredible how popular it is despite being about 1)monster girls that are actually monstrous in appearance 2) it's a strong Echhi. I mean, it beat Attack on Titan for a couple weeks on the New York Times best sellers list. It really needs an anime.

>It's a strong Echhi

I thought fanservice sells. Add to that the popularity of Monster Girl Quest.

I acutally just recently started reading manga. My first is One Week Friends, and then I'm reading some of other the manga versions of the anime I watch.

Not a lot of good manga reader apps out there though, either very buggy, small selection, or advertisements. Suggestions in apps or interesting manga is appreciated.

Gary wrote:

I acutally just recently started reading manga. My first is One Week Friends, and then I'm reading some of other the manga versions of the anime I watch.

Not a lot of good manga reader apps out there though, either very buggy, small selection, or advertisements. Suggestions in apps or interesting manga is appreciated.

>Manga reader apps

Just use manga websites. Surely the people here can advice you some good websites.

I haven't read many manga titles but my absolute favourite is iron knight. I mean just look at our protagonist.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131207174513/weeklyshonenjump-ironknight/images/2/25/Teppei%27s_Iron_Form.png.
[i can't embed]

It is one of the few unique shonen titles out there and other than that i say go and read it because it is only 11 chapters long because it has been cancelled (which is sad).

RandomMan wrote:

>It's a strong Echhi

I thought fanservice sells. Add to that the popularity of Monster Girl Quest.

I know what you mean, but beating out Attack on Titan for #1 on the New York Times Manga best sellers list? That's pretty impressive for a monster ecchi I think.

TripleA9000 wrote:

have you guys ever read the trigun manga
here goes a link in case your interested

trigun

trigun maximum

I've got the 2 big Trigun books that start things up, all 14 Trigun Maximum books, and Trigun Multiple Bullets, which has Badlands Rumble, and Trigun related short stories from various other manga artists in it.

Gotta admit, Vash's one of the best main characters I've seen in manga, right after Eikichi Onizuka.

I haven't bought much manga nowdays, after I finally finished my Great Teacher Onizuka collection.

I'd really love to get my hands on Ken Akamatsu's A.I Love You vol.8 though, but that thing is next to impossible to find here.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 04:57AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

>Manga reader apps

Just use manga websites. Surely the people here can advice you some good websites.

Oh I use websites too, but I usually don't have much time to sit down, but a phone is better for mobile reading.

OH BOY!

I remember hearing about this change in the IRC! Glad to see it finally implemented.

But anyways, we often see manga sometimes go on hiatus, they can be a small break from schedule….or longer.

And so, the Hiatus formula takes effect. In short:

X: crazy theories/ flame wars/ general insanity, and H: hiatus length. These two are often directly proportional to one another.

So, what is your favorite example of hiatus driven stupidity? Share it with us so we can all enjoy a good laugh!

My own favorite example was this (If I can screenshot the actual forum post I will) was centered around this chapter of One Piece.

http://www.goodmanga.net/one_piece/chapter/687/5

The contention being that Zoro is a sexist pig. Why? Because he cut a woman of course!

So I just finished the part with the giant Buddha Aliens in Gantz…

Wow, that really punched me in the face. It's always something when you expect a story to have a particular outcome and then the story decides to go "Fuck you and your expectations lol".

Last edited Jul 27, 2014 at 10:42AM EDT

I only own two mangas, each having 5 volumes.

1.) "Fluffy,Fluffy Cinnamoroll" based on Sanrio's Cinnamoroll character.

2.) "Happy Happy Clover" which is a slice of life manga series about a mischievous and hyperactive female rabbit. I finished reading Fluffy Fluffy Cinnamoroll manga in 2012, and read up to the middle of the final volume of Happy Happy Clover. Hopefully once I finished reading the manga, I might check out the anime version sometime in the future.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!