Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Who's your favorite author?

Last posted May 10, 2015 at 01:23AM EDT. Added Feb 26, 2015 at 02:58AM EST
25 posts from 24 users

Philip K. Dick… just…

That's all that really needs to be said. I love science fiction, specifically the kind that makes you use that "brain" thing until it fucking hurts, for one reason or another. And he was the master. There's so much more stuff of his that I need to read.

This is one that I'd recommend to pretty much anybody:

Great in that "what kind of mushrooms were those that I ate last week?" kinda way. Just don't expect too many smiles- just paranoia. Endless paranoia.

Well, i on't really have a favorite author since i read books without looking at the author at times. Though i do enjoy J.D Salingers work, especially his book, The Catcher in The Rye.

This book is really something phenomenal. I understand a lot of people didn't like it for being a book about a jerk who messes around new york. But that jerk basically represents a whole lot of teenagers who have problems adjusting themselves in their lifes and who are afraid of the future. The book really represents the hardness i felt going through highschool and literally recommended to any teenager out there. I would call it the best slice of life story i've ever read.

And then, there's John Green and his teen novels. I'm huge fan of his youtube channel since 2012 and his works are very entertaining to read. My favorite being An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns. John's knowledge on literature is really what brought me to read books again.

A few authors I liked and stumbled back to when looking for books:

-Edgar Allan Poe, a classic. Who hasn't read at least one of his short stories like the Tell-Tale Heart or the Red Death?

-Mitch Albom, wrote For One More Day, which was the first book to make me cry for my mommy, and I got hooked and read all of his other great hits like Tuesdays with Morrie and the Five People you Meet in Heaven.

-Dan Brown, yeah there's a lot of negative criticism about this guy and his books like Inferno, Angels and Demons, and the Da Vinci Code but I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories and works that challenge and fluster the religious status quo.

-R.L Stine, childhood author. I remember when I was young I'd coop up in the school library and read Goosebumps books. They were children horror books so it's not at all scary, doesn't mean they end in good endings though.

-Neil Gaiman, famous for Coraline and the graphic novel Sandman. Sadly haven't read any of those, but I've seen Coraline on the big screen and I simply adore it. I've also read his book the Ocean at the End of the Lane which was a lovely distraction from real life.

-John Green, I've only read one book of his which is the Fault in Our Stars. It's a romance book so it's not really my genre since I'm not really a romantic dude but the fact that I got to the end says that it's not all that bad. Plus he's a really cool dude with a strong presence on the internetz so yeah.

Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

Despite certain controversies, his work of the horror genre is beautifully orchestrated with themes like madness, fear of the unknown, cosmic mythology, scepticism, among others.

I don't tend to have a preference in authors, I more or less choose books based on genre and storyline.
So yes, I don't know authors, or have a favorite one, but I can guarantee that I really like reading.

Comic Book Writers
Mark Waid
Stan Lee
Roger Stern
J.M DeMatties
Ed Brubaker
Warren Ellis
Mark Millar
Alan Moore
Robert Kirkman
Frank Miller
Mike Mignola
Jason Aaron
Paul Jenkins

Manga Writers
Akira Toriyama

Book/Novel Writers
H.P Lovecraft
Derek Landy
J.R.R Tolkien
Anthony Horrowitz

F. Scott Fitzgerald
I read The Great Gatsby and I was just mesmerized. Fitzgerald had a way with words like I've never seen before. He is now one of my heroes.

Suzanne Collins
I enjoyed reading The Hunger Games. Collins has a strong writing style. There were parts of the series I found dull, but otherwise it really drew me in.

Last edited Mar 12, 2015 at 07:28PM EDT

Necromagenvion wrote:

Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

Despite certain controversies, his work of the horror genre is beautifully orchestrated with themes like madness, fear of the unknown, cosmic mythology, scepticism, among others.

Same, and I also enjoy one of Lovecraft's inspirations, Lord Dunsany.
For some reason my favorite quote of all time comes from his book The Gods Pegana

Shakespeare: His character development is top notch to this day. Modern writers and film-makers and such should learn from him. The characters as well as the plot are always super relatable and are some of the only books that have actually made me sad. The way all his sentences and stuff flow together through rhyming and iambs make me have mind orgasms. It's like a poem that's the length of a book. My fav play of his would definitely be Othello.

Darren Shan: I keep forgetting to finish his Cirque du freak series, but my god is it good. The characters are mostly relatable, his lore is deep, and his plots are thrilling. Everything is top notch. That is all.

JRR Tolkien: The LotR series truly has that feeling of adventure in it and makes you want to adventure too. The rollercoaster of feels in his books are fantastic and his lore is so deep and the characters are likable. I loved the movies but when I read the books, I was blown away. He flows from sequence to sequence so naturally it's like I am watching a movie almost.

While I haven't read many Shakespeare works lately I have definitely gained an appreciation for him lately and I hope to revisit his works again sometime soon. I particularly want to read Hamlet, seeing as I was in one of the few senior classes in my high school that didn't read it yet (we read MacBeth instead). My school also recently did a Shakespeare themed art show so that really got my blood pumping.

Now for writers I'm actually familiar with:
J.K. Rowling: I recently read through the Harry Potter series again after not reading it since early teenhood and I fell in love with her writing style. I haven't really visited her post-HP writings but I have heard good things from the people that have read them and they are surely on my to-read list.

Daniel Handler: Currently revisiting the Series of Unfortunate Events series which he wrote under the pen name Lemony Snicket and I love just how ridiculously sad it is (Oh my god my parents actually let me read this incredibly depressing series). I've also read his book We Are Pirates published under his real name and quite liked that as well.

John Green: Definitely my favorite young adult author. I've read Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson and loved them both. I admittedly did not finish The Fault in Our Stars, it just didn't hold my interest for some reason. I really appreciate that he doesn't treat his readers like idiots and actually gives teenagers credit for being capable of being smart, thoughtful beings (which some reviewers have hilariously criticized him for). It also helps that I'm a huge fan of his Vlogbrothers videos even though I don't watch them regularly anymore.

Hiromu Arakawa: Writer and artist of Fullmetal Alchemist, she by far has the strongest writing out of any manga author I've read. The series continues to blow my mind to this day on just how well everything ties together and how much care she put into doing her research and handling the subject matter. I can't help but care immensely about every character she put in that universe. It's truly a series that few anime and manga fans dispute as one of the best. I could gush about it for days. In fact I think I'm gonna start reading the series again right now.

Bill Watterson: The Calvin & Hobbes series was one of the best comic strips to exist. It is my dream one day to own a complete collection of the series. When I was growing up reading the strips I envied Calvin's amazing imagination and his ability to create such creative worlds and stories. Watterson's guest-work on the Pearls Before Swine comic was also hilarious and among my favorite Pearls strips.

Honorable mention goes to Erin Morgenstern. Just the other day I started reading her book The Night Circus. I'm not even 30 pages in and I'm already in love with her writing style. I really can't wait to continue reading the 350 pages left in this book.

Also shout out to any writer who doesn't write their books in first-person narration. It really bothers me when a book is written that way. Especially if it's in a book set in the future. How is this character able to tell me this story when they are far in the future and there's no time travel in their world? It's a pet peeve of mine and while it doesn't ruin the book I'm reading (in fact I believe John Green usually writes in first person) it really loses points for me. It just takes me out of the story a bit, which is ironic because I believe the point of first-person narration is to bring the reader into the world more. It's a cheap tactic to immerse the reader into the world and I really wish it would stop being a trend.

I dunno the opinion about him here, but Rick freakin' Riordan.
First author who ever ended up making me stay up all night reading. Love reading the Percy Jackson series (despite the crapton of fangirls) and I'm about to read Blood of Olympus.

Terry Pratchett was definitely one of the best writers of contemporary literature, his fatasy novels with a spin of sarcasm, irony and comic are the best! if you haven't read some of Discworld series (there are 40 series or so) move your ass and just read' em all

Derek Landy, he wrote Skulduggery Pleasant, my favourite book series. I've also quite been fond of HP Lovecraft and his works, including the Call of Cthulhu and Nyarlathotep.

This year I have slowly been carving my way through John Green, as my English teacher calls it. Fascinating author, who does much more than writing. Remarkable person, and talented writer. Most of his books do seem to have a central theme binding them together, but you learn a thing or two, changing a perspective of life.

As Michael Cart puts it, “Green ponders the interconnectedness of imagination and perception, of mirrors and windows, of illusion and reality.”

William King – Writes Warhammer Fantasy and 40k novels, my favorite being the Gotrek and Felix series.

Harlan Ellison – Author of books such as I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and A Boy and His Dog

Stephen Crane, author of The Open Boat.

Atm, Haruki Murakami. I like how his stories slowly slide from the mundande to the unusual, to the bizarre and ultimately, the otherworldy. There is so much room for interpretation on behalf of the reader, and this way of engaging the audience and making them a part of the artwork is the highest form of art imo. Favorite novel so far: Kafka on the shore.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!