Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Dark Knight III: Master Race Review

Last posted Dec 13, 2015 at 03:00PM EST. Added Dec 13, 2015 at 03:00PM EST
1 post from 1 user

Hello! It seems you've stumbled upon this nearly completely inactive board, and this thread.

A while back I posted a thread on the announcement of The Dark Knight III: Master Race, and the first issue is out. I said I'd give a little review thing on the thread so here it is.

My initial worries to Dark Knight III was that it was that if Miller had the majority control over the writing he'd just repeat Dark Knight Strikes Again, or even worse All Star Batman and Robin. However from the first few pages you can see that's not the case. It definitely to me seems like Miller is a guiding hand to Azarello, and that Azarello tries to imitate Miller's style. Unfortunately this can make the dialogue seem really weird. Dark Knight III is set around the present, but a lot of the very 80's stuff from the previous titles stay like the mutant gangs weird slang and words and it just doesn't fit with everything else. The major problem with the dialogue is Azarello just can't blend Miller's style with his own, at least not very well. But it's not horrible, just kind of not special. Also there was this weird line were a character says "hur hur hur" and I can't tell if she's crying, laughing or breathing heavily (I assumed it was the last one but really its just weird)

The art. One of my major gripes with this book. It feels to clean cut and standard. Miller's sketches are very rough and gritty, very stylized and unique art style. While I really like Andy Kuberts work, it just isn't Dark Knight material, too clean. The imagery is very reminiscent of the first book but it's too much like the original. I definitely think it's better than modern Miller (you can see age has affected him in the tie in, but i'll talk about that later). Who would I have chose instead? Based on the variant covers i'd say Tyler Kirkham or Jock with Jason Fabok, Ivan Reis, Rafael Albuquerque or Francis Manupaul as people that could pull it off. Really the art is OK and for any other book would be pretty good, just not this one. Something I can deal with.

This first issue was clearly just to set you up and it did a pretty good job in that sense. However unlike The Dark Knight Returns or even The Dark Knight Strikes Again it doesn't have anything to pull you in. The plot twist of Superman being frozen was mild surprise, and the reveal Batman is actually Carrie Kelly who claims Wayne is dead is not even a surprise. I like how there were subtle clues like the outfit looking a bit ill fitting if you look back it, and really the panel or page before the unmasking you can see that the lips are more female looking and the jawline is not the almost literally square jaws Frank Miller does for pretty much every male. The section with Wonder Woman and the baby was cool but felt kind of like filler. I think the main problem is that it still leaves you that it can go anywhere. It just shows you were the characters from the other 2 books are now. There's just nothing attention grabbing, probably cause of the weak reveal. We still don't know about the Master Race, but my prediction its gonna be the offspring of the Amazons and the Kryptonians from Kandor that are almost certainly gonna be made normal size.

Score out of 10: I feel it's a 4 maybe 5 if you push it.

Should you read it?: A newbie to comics or someone who doesn't read them almost certainly wont get anything out of this issue and probably the rest of the book. If you haven't read The Dark Knight Returns (read it) you wont have clue. If you did read it, you will recognize some characters like Commissioner Yindel and Carrie but others like Lara will likely confuse you.

If you read The Dark Knight Strikes Again and didn't absolutely hate it or found that the concepts were interesting it might be worth checking out. However I guess if you haven't already got this and were not planning to you aren't gonna wanna get this comic.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!